Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Cohabiting Visa POE Difficulties

B2 Cohabiting Visa POE Difficulties

Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:37 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Cohabiting Visa POE Difficulties

Originally Posted by crg
People referred to secondary are not entitled to a phone call.

B2 is supposed to maintain a foreign domicile. He may be asked for proof. Dropping over the border has been done with mixed results and can be problematic. The manual says that cohabiting partners should seek extensions. It is possible that Canada/Mexico could deny entry. They are aware of the practice of people seeking to depart/arrive to reset the period of admission and may be inclined to deny someone out of concern the person will be refused entry and be stuck.

People attempting to do it should be prepared to prove they are admissible and have a plan in case they find themselves refused and their visa canceled. Attempting to depart after the expiration date of the period of admission and being denied entry and returned to the US would likely result in removal proceedings so don't overstay and then try it.
But they would likely not let you have your phone in your hand to quote chapter and verse during a secondary interview would they. And again they probably wouldn't like a traveler telling them what they can and can't do.

So maybe he should ingore the urge to flagpole from Canada/Mexico and go home for a week and see his family and check on his business before making the reentry's? He can probably afford to do that, probably build up his airmiles as well doing that? Or would doing that not be viable?
Old Dec 27th 2013, 9:12 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
But they would likely not let you have your phone in your hand to quote chapter and verse during a secondary interview would they. And again they probably wouldn't like a traveler telling them what they can and can't do.

So maybe he should ingore the urge to flagpole from Canada/Mexico and go home for a week and see his family and check on his business before making the reentry's? He can probably afford to do that, probably build up his airmiles as well doing that? Or would doing that not be viable?
I'd be inclined to have the hardcopy of guidance put out by their agency when traveling and do the extensions.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Your probably not allowed a phone in the secondary area though are you?
It's part of your personal effects. They may not like you making a phone call on it but on many occasions I've looked up regulations on it.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Who gives a crap. I've had full-on blazing yelling at the top of my voice arguments with CBP at POEs. To the point once that I didn't even have to ask to see the supervisor, he heard us arguing and interrupted.

If they're wrong, they're wrong. Just make sure you're right before starting an argument!

And if you're not keen on using your phone, just print it off and have it on you, done that too.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by crg
A traveler is about as likely get to speak to the Pope as he is a port director at an operation the size of Miami.
You can usually get him on the phone though. Well at Havre you can, admittedly probably not at MIA.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:18 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

And, the CBP might want to have a look at it to see what phone calls and text messages you've made.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Steve_
It's part of your personal effects. They may not like you making a phone call on it but on many occasions I've looked up regulations on it.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
And, the CBP might want to have a look at it to see what phone calls and text messages you've made.
So? Wipe the phone of those details before you hand it to him or her if a person is concerned about that.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 12:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Wipe the phone of those details before you hand it to him or her if a person is concerned about that.
That could be seen as the overt act that allows them to then seize the phone (which, by the way, they have the right to do under several Federal US statutes) and then get someone to forensically examine the phone.

Ian
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:09 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That could be seen as the overt act that allows them to then seize the phone (which, by the way, they have the right to do under several Federal US statutes) and then get someone to forensically examine the phone.
Since when is clearing the list of text messages + phone call records from your phone an 'overt act'? Honestly. When I used to work for a previous employer, we were ordered to not take our laptops with us to the USA and to wipe our phones before we traveled due to the company (a billion dollar American company, as it happens) objecting to the DHS having the 'right' to view the companies property without the appropriate warrants in place potentially. It was a deeply ethical company, and the employees of the company initiated the move.

If Homeland are that concerned, they can always ask the NSA for the metadata of your phone, which the world now knows they're storing and archiving ad infinitum.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Since when is clearing the list of text messages + phone call records from your phone an 'overt act'?
It's an overt act if they ask for your phone... but before giving it to them, you clear off the info. That's what you suggested in your earlier post. If that wasn't what you intended to suggest, then you need to express yourself better.

Ian
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's an overt act if they ask for your phone... but before giving it to them, you clear off the info. That's what you suggested in your earlier post. If that wasn't what you intended to suggest, then you need to express yourself better.
I don't think the DHS have any right to inspect a phone without probable cause, but I am sure the Feds have changed the law to accommodate such search tactics.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the DHS have any right to inspect a phone without probable cause, but I am sure the Feds have changed the law to accommodate such search tactics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Arnold

CBP can search laptops etc without reasonable suspicion.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:24 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

There is no probable cause required. Constitutional protections against unreasonable search apply at the border, but the definition of what is considered reasonable changes. Courts have decided that a device is no different than any other container such as a suitcase. Suspicionless search is permitted. The deck is so stacked against the traveler, I don't think they even need probable cause to hold someone until they poop to see if contraband comes out. I suppose the phone search doesn't appear to be so intrusive when taken in that context...
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by crg
There is no probable cause required. Constitutional protections against unreasonable search apply at the border, but the definition of what is considered reasonable changes. Courts have decided that a device is no different than any other container such as a suitcase. Suspicionless search is permitted. The deck is so stacked against the traveler, I don't think they even need probable cause to hold someone until they poop to see if contraband comes out. I suppose the phone search doesn't appear to be so intrusive when taken in that context...
I think I've been unclear. I'm well aware no probable cause is required (legally). I just massively disagree with this current situation.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:21 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Better wipe the phone before traveling, as you wrote about in a subsequent post, because once one is in secondary there will be no opportunity to do it before they take the phone.
So? Wipe the phone of those details before you hand it to him or her if a person is concerned about that.
Your massive disagreement is something different entirely. CBP isn't going to give a person the opportunity to wipe their phone just because the person massively disagrees with a demand to hand over the phone.
I think I've been unclear. I'm well aware no probable cause is required (legally). I just massively disagree with this current situation.
Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.