Wikiposts

B2 Co-habiting partner Visa

Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:16 am
Just Joined

jimcat123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Co-habiting partner Visa

Hi there,

My boyfirend has been given a job in houston working for nasa and came out on a J1 visa. I applied for a B2 co-habiting and had absolutely no problems getting the visa for multiple entries and for the length of time he is working.
When we went through POE (July 2011) on arrival the primary officer said I would only be able to gain my I-45 stamp for 6months. I went into secondary to try and get a 1 year stamp and it was approved till July 2012, which is great!

However we are now going back to the UK for christmas, we will be there a couple of weeks and then returning to the USA again. I've seen on other posts that people can struggle to regain entry if they leave and try to come back so soon. Do you think I will struggle even though my I-94 would have been valid for the whole year if we'd just stayed and I have a letter confirming I can return to my job in July 2012.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B2 Co-habiting partner Visa

No
Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:06 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Most VWT and B-2 admissions are for the purpose of tourism. The problems arise when the minions of the Dark Forces guarding the gates get the idea that the ostensible tourist is actually "residing" in the US.

However, the cohabiting B-2 is an example of administrative flexibility to allow long term presence under a non-immigrant category.

FWIW, I am impressed you were able to get the length of the admission extended at the POE.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I'm hoping that as long as I take all my documents with me then I will be ok, we have a joint bank account and rental lease over here now too so I'm hoping that proves I am just here to be with my partner.

Also I have been volunteering at the red cross occationally and was thinking of taking a record of my volunteering hours to prove that what I have been doing over here isn't paid work. Do you tink this is a good idea or may just complicate things?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 3:54 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It will complicate things. I know Canadians who were denied entry to help the Katrina victims. It's not just paid work that's prohibited, it's any work that would ordinarily be paid work. Volunteering for the Red Cross probably isn't but it's largely the opinion of the inspector you deal with. I would only give him/her that information if they start giving you a hard time about what you've been up to.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice

Jimcat123, you'll have no problems at all. My GF traveled in/out of the US with B2-cohab without any problems ( long and short stays).

If you're traveling with your BF, they probably won't even ask you any questions. It doesn't hurt to bring the additional documentation, but only offer them what they ask for.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks thats good to know, can I ask which airports you have flown into on the B2 co-habiting?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice

We've flown AMS-SEA, but your POE will not affect the outcome.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I sat next to a chap who was on a B2 Co-hab visa on a flight from London and he carried a huge file with him every time he travelled as he always had issues. He used to fly in to Raleigh, NC but then changed his entry point to Charlotte, NC as it was less hassle but hassle all the same!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, don't suppose anyone has some experience of which document are best to carry with me for POE. Do I need to include the information I used to gain the visa in the first place or just proof of co-habiting in the USA.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovik
Jimcat123, you'll have no problems at all. My GF traveled in/out of the US with B2-cohab without any problems ( long and short stays).

If you're traveling with your BF, they probably won't even ask you any questions. It doesn't hurt to bring the additional documentation, but only offer them what they ask for.
My friend who is on a B2 cohab got grilled, but not taken to secondary, on her last entry through DFW.
It totally depends on the officer at POE.