B2 at Belfast: experience

Old Aug 14th 2018, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

jamie99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 at Belfast: experience

Hello all. Thought I'd share my experiences of yesterday in Belfast. I chose over London as apparently processing time was shorter and I believe they have some tracking information?... anyway it was cheaper than a train to London (£60 return by Flybe) and quicker than driving to London! On a personal note I was exhausted before the journey started as I'd just completed a night shift then a lift to the airport! So wasn't full of high hopes.

Arrived in Belfast city airport about 0830, appointment at 1145 so killed time in Costa. Took a taxi to the Consulate about 20mins and £15. Arrived about 1115. Security was pleasant and efficient and actually helpful. Left phone and bag at the security lodge and walked up to the Consulate.

Waiting room was small. 3 counters and a private interview room. Called almost immediately to hand in documents. Was asked for DS160 acknowledgement, appointment acknowledgement, VCU1 & ACPO, and passport. Was asked what I did with my day and offered employment contract with pay slips and a letter from work detailing vacation granted.

Took a seat and waited maybe 30 tense minutes then called to do fingerprints. There is water and a toilet available. I was allowed to bring in a bottle of water, after opening it and tasting it first. Which seemed reasonable.

Waited maybe another 30mins and called to the interview cubicle. I think I was last of the day. Some took 15 mins, some just 5 mins. Some happy, others not so.

My turn: very pleasant gent asked for fingerprints, and where I was going, who with, did I have a job, what did I do before this job, did we have children and did I have any letter or documents regarding arrest. Asked a few sensitive questions about the arrest and a few more about work and within 5 mins said I was approved for a visa and to have a great holiday!!!

I was shocked as id prepared myself for a '...Maybe recommendations of waver of ineligibability...' or maybe a no again. I was too stunned to ask how long it would be valid for, or for a letter to travel on the plane back. Apparently they have an arrangement with airlines if you don't have alternative ID and passport is kept. Nice gesture.

Out of security by about 1300 and called a taxi back go the airport. Treated myself to some "duty free" Bushmills and a spot of lunch and waited for 1715 flight back home. In the house by about 1900. Successful but stressful day!!!

I write this in the hope it helps someone plan a trip to the Belfast Consulate, it was a cost effective alternative to London and a pleasant and successful one.

Just a word of warning, if you have a disability there's a bit of a steep climb up to the security lodge then again to the consular section. But certainly I'd do it again.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 at Belfast: experience

Congratulations!
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

And just a quick update: got an email late morning from consulate; it's been dispatched, and DX say I can pick up tomorrow... not a bad service at all!
Old Aug 15th 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Just to help other users, what was your conviction for and when was it?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

There was no charge just an arrest. It was under Sexual Offences Act: Grooming a minor. Thankfully after nearly a year on bail the police admitted in writing no offence had been committed, which I was able to offer this time. Was in 2006.

I consider myself very fortunate to hold that letter.

Hope the experience can help someone.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Just a wee update: picked up from DX this morning and to my surprise it's for 10 years!
Old Aug 17th 2018, 6:39 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamie99
Just a wee update: picked up from DX this morning and to my surprise it's for 10 years!
Why are you surprised? You aren't inadmissible for travel, so you didn't require a waiver and ten years is the usual validity for a regular visa.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Why are you surprised? You aren't inadmissible for travel, so you didn't require a waiver and ten years is the usual validity for a regular visa.
I'm surprised because I had feared the worst all along and this experience has been so much easier and better than I could have hoped for.