B1/B2 and I-94 Doubts

Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Jasmine is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation B1/B2 and I-94 Doubts

Hi,

I intend to visit US with my daughter in Dec and again in March for pleasure. Unfortunately my husband is busy and cannot accompany us. I am working and I have property in my name and also my daughter goes to school here(aged 6).

What are my chances of getting a Visit visa for me and my daughter? Will there be any problems because my husband is not coming with us? What documents do i need to produce? Should I ask for multiple entry or will I get multiple entry with B2 visa?

Also i was in US 4 months back to attend some seminars on a B1. I was given 3 month visa but unfortunately the stamp on the I-94 was not clear. The seminars lasted one week but I extended my trip by 2 more weeks. I am not sure if i have come back on time.

Thanks,
Jasmine
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B1/B2 and I-94 Doubts

Would help if you said where your from, presuming a UK Citizen?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Would help if you said where your from, presuming a UK Citizen?
I am an Indian Citizen and so are my husband and daughter. We have lived in UK for 1.5 years and work here. I have three more years of valid UK visa.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasmine
I am an Indian Citizen and so are my husband and daughter. We have lived in UK for 1.5 years and work here. I have three more years of valid UK visa.
Ok then, so I don't think you can use a vwp then, though I could be wrong, nevermind
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Ok then, so I don't think you can use a vwp then, though I could be wrong, nevermind
India is not a VWP country so you would need to go and get a Visa, assuming you do not have a current one.

I assume your Daughter would need one anyway.

The I94 date is usually well beyond 3 weeks unless they have specific reason to only grant you a limited entry.

B2 is a multiple entry visa.

I presume that you can apply at the US Embassy in London.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:01 am
J. J. Farrell

Jasmine <member31076@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    >
    > I intend to visit US with my daughter in Dec and again in March for
    > pleasure. Unfortunately my husband is busy and cannot accompany us. I am
    > working and I have property in my name and also my daughter goes to
    > school here(aged 6).
    >
    > What are my chances of getting a Visit visa for me and my daughter?

Sounds reasonable.

> Will there be any problems because my husband is not coming with us?

I don't see why you think there might be. If anything, your husband
not going with you increases your ties outside the USA, so is likely
to help your case.

> What documents do i need to produce?

Passport, evidence that you have strong ties outside the USA that
make it likely you will leave on time. If you're planning to apply
at a Consulate outside your home country, evidence that you have
been living normally in the country containing the Consulate, if
you have.

> Should I ask for multiple entry or will I get multiple entry with
    > B2 visa?

B-2 visas are usually issued as multiple entry.

> Also i was in US 4 months back to attend some seminars on a B1. I was
    > given 3 month visa but unfortunately the stamp on the I-94 was not
    > clear. The seminars lasted one week but I extended my trip by 2 more
    > weeks. I am not sure if i have come back on time.

If you overstayed your I-94, it may be substantially harder to get
a visa - you'll have to convince them that you will leave on time
when you've given an actual demonstration of not doing so.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasmine
Hi,

I intend to visit US with my daughter in Dec and again in March for pleasure. Unfortunately my husband is busy and cannot accompany us. I am working and I have property in my name and also my daughter goes to school here(aged 6).

What are my chances of getting a Visit visa for me and my daughter? Will there be any problems because my husband is not coming with us? What documents do i need to produce? Should I ask for multiple entry or will I get multiple entry with B2 visa?
You might consider a notorized statement from your husband giving you permission to travel internationally with your daughter. He need not travel with you (there is no custome regarding that here) but there are rules about child custody and kidnapping (not you, I know, but hey, it happens).

If you feel you qualify for multiple entry, I would certainly make the Consulate aware of your future travel plans. B2 are not automatically multiple entry.
Bring as much documentation of your ties to your current residence as possible. The burden is on you to prove that you plan to leave the US when you say you will.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
You might consider a notorized statement from your husband giving you permission to travel internationally with your daughter. He need not travel with you (there is no custome regarding that here) but there are rules about child custody and kidnapping (not you, I know, but hey, it happens).

If you feel you qualify for multiple entry, I would certainly make the Consulate aware of your future travel plans. B2 are not automatically multiple entry.
Bring as much documentation of your ties to your current residence as possible. The burden is on you to prove that you plan to leave the US when you say you will.
Thankyou for all the information everyone has given me. I will take a letter signed by husband permitting me to travel with my daughter.

But would it then be better for my husband to apply for the visa as well even though he might not be coming with us? Last time I applied for a B1 visa to attend a seminar in US, the lady in the consulate checked my husband's passport to see if my husband has already got a US visa. That makes me wonder if we would get the visa if all of us applied as a family. We can prove strong ties that would bring us here but since we have already immigrated from India, the consulate might think we would do the same again!

This is all very intimidating just to take my daughter for a pleasure trip to NYC and Disney World!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:12 pm
Ingo Pakleppa - see web site for email

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:32:04 +0000, Jasmine wrote:

> But would it then be better for my husband to apply for the visa as well
    > even though he might not be coming with us? Last time I applied for a B1
    > visa to attend a seminar in US, the lady in the consulate checked my
    > husband's passport to see if my husband has already got a US visa. That
    > makes me wonder if we would get the visa if all of us applied as a
    > family. We can prove strong ties that would bring us here but since we
    > have already immigrated from India, the consulate might think we would
    > do the same again!

Actually, the lady of the consulate may have looked for the opposite: if
your husband already had a US visa, it may have made a denial more likely.
Of course, she may have looked for something quite different, too. It's
impossible to tell.

> This is all very intimidating just to take my daughter for a pleasure
    > trip to NYC and Disney World!!

--
Remember, I am strictly a layperson without any legal training. I encourage
everybody to seek competent legal counsel rather than relying on usenet
newsgroups.

Please support H.R. 539, H.R. 832 and S. 1510. More information at
http://www.kkeane.com/lobbyspousal-faq.shtml

Please visit my new FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com (always under construction)

My email address in usenet posts is now invalid for spam protection. See
my Web site for information on how to contact me.

Please feel free to enjoy some of my photographs at my Web site
http://www.ingopakleppa.com ! Comments are welcome.