British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Automotive Jobs and moving to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/automotive-jobs-moving-usa-913259/)

AutoJobs May 28th 2018 8:17 am

Automotive Jobs and moving to USA

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but have spent a few days reading threads. It's been a long time ambition of mine to move to the USA and having travelled it extensively on vacations, loving every trip (visited over 20 states now). Here in the UK I work for a large car manufacturer, I have a degree and 17 years experience in the industry. I've applied a few times to jobs and basically received a "thanks, but when you have a valid status to work here get back to us". I have a friend in the same situation who received an offer from Tesla, so i know it can be done. At the minute, this would seem my only route but it seems like it's largely dependant on luck. There are plenty of jobs suitable for me, it's just getting past the first hurdle.

In terms of where to live, I would happily start off anywhere and once i'm in the country and building up experience i can figure out what is right for the next move.

I also have a parent born outside of the uk (in an eligible country for green card) which would normally qualify me to apply, but they were living in the uk at the time of my birth so i think that might rule me out. Just thought i'd add that extra info.

Any help or bit of advice is appreciated.

civilservant May 28th 2018 10:01 am

Re: Automotive Jobs and moving to USA

It sounds like you've got an idea of the ways to get into the US. As you correctly state, if you were born in the UK (unless it was NI) you are not eligible to apply for the Diversity Visa.

You don't state your level of education, or what your specific experience is, if you could, we might be able to help a little more.

mikelincs May 28th 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by AutoJobs (Post 12506392)
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but have spent a few days reading threads. It's been a long time ambition of mine to move to the USA and having travelled it extensively on vacations, loving every trip (visited over 20 states now). Here in the UK I work for a large car manufacturer, I have a degree and 17 years experience in the industry. I've applied a few times to jobs and basically received a "thanks, but when you have a valid status to work here get back to us". I have a friend in the same situation who received an offer from Tesla, so i know it can be done. At the minute, this would seem my only route but it seems like it's largely dependant on luck. There are plenty of jobs suitable for me, it's just getting past the first hurdle.

In terms of where to live, I would happily start off anywhere and once i'm in the country and building up experience i can figure out what is right for the next move.

I also have a parent born outside of the uk (in an eligible country for green card) which would normally qualify me to apply, but they were living in the uk at the time of my birth so i think that might rule me out. Just thought i'd add that extra info.

Any help or bit of advice is appreciated.

For the DV lottery it all depends on where YOU were born, where you live, your parents ancestry etc do not come into it, it's based on country of your birth.

AutoJobs May 28th 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. My level of degree is an engineering degree, BEng. I work as an engineer. All 17 years experience were in engineering.

On the green card lottery, everywhere I’ve googled says you can be eligible if one parent is born in another country.

scrubbedexpat099 May 28th 2018 2:38 pm

My Dad worked for Fords and was offered a move, so certainly can be done.And is done.

Twinkle0927 May 28th 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by AutoJobs (Post 12506495)
Thanks for the replies. My level of degree is an engineering degree, BEng. I work as an engineer. All 17 years experience were in engineering.

On the green card lottery, everywhere I’ve googled says you can be eligible if one parent is born in another country.

You can only be eligible through your parents' country of birth if you were born in an ineligible country (e.g. England) but BOTH parents were born elsewhere and were not residents of England at the time of your birth.

tom169 May 28th 2018 3:03 pm

Any US love interest in your life?

BigK May 28th 2018 3:28 pm

Ask your Tesla friend to get you in at Tesla. That may be your best bet, because if they like your resume, they'll know exactly how to proceed. Its hard as a foreigner to get a job in the US due to all the visa uncertainty these days, so getting in via an existing company or transfer, or a connection is the best bet. Hope you are really good at what you do.

Twinkle0927 May 28th 2018 4:01 pm

If you know that Tesla are in the business of transferring employees, I'd be applying for a job at Tesla if I were you and getting my "foot in the door".

neill May 28th 2018 5:50 pm

Your best bet is a BIG auto company in the U.S, even better with fingers in the UK so that the L-1 route can open up for you. Straight to H-1B could also happen but it's a long wait (over 1.5 years if you had got the US job and started the application today).

zzrmark May 28th 2018 10:20 pm

Sounds to me as though you are already over the first hurdle, you currently work for a major car firm. Assuming it's not Citroen or Peugeot pretty much every other major car firm you can name has plants in the US, no chance of an inter-company transfer?