Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Australian Citizen Applying for F-1 visa

Wikiposts

Australian Citizen Applying for F-1 visa

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Citizen Applying for F-1 visa

Originally Posted by girlie86
i had spoken to someone on the phone at the u.s embassy numerous times and they said it is NOT impossible to gain a visa here in korea.

i just hope that me applying in australia will somehow earn me the advantage to gain a visa.
OK, the people you spoke to are probably not visa officers. Even if they are, they aren't required by law to give you correct information. And even counting all that, what they said is true in the abstract: Korea does issue US visas, so it is not impossible. What you need/needed to know is whether or not they would issue one to you. That is something you probably should have looked into beforehand, but as you say, that is the past.

I don't know that you will have any advantage in applying from Australia. Until you consult an immigration lawyer about YOUR specific facts, you *may* be compounding the problem(s). You may consider Australia your home, and have a passport, but face it, you haven't lived there in at least 4 years, your parents do not live there.. what ties do you have there?

I'm just a nobody, but Folinskyinla has posted several important things here in your thread. I suggest you re-read his posts because 1) he is qualified to say so, 2) he has actual, practical experience with the Consulate in Korea and 3) when he talks, people listen. You've got a leg up on me with your degree, now be that smart and have a reevaluation.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

girlie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, the people you spoke to are probably not visa officers. Even if they are, they aren't required by law to give you correct information. And even counting all that, what they said is true in the abstract: Korea does issue US visas, so it is not impossible. What you need/needed to know is whether or not they would issue one to you. That is something you probably should have looked into beforehand, but as you say, that is the past.

I don't know that you will have any advantage in applying from Australia. Until you consult an immigration lawyer about YOUR specific facts, you *may* be compounding the problem(s). You may consider Australia your home, and have a passport, but face it, you haven't lived there in at least 4 years, your parents do not live there.. what ties do you have there?

I'm just a nobody, but Folinskyinla has posted several important things here in your thread. I suggest you re-read his posts because 1) he is qualified to say so, 2) he has actual, practical experience with the Consulate in Korea and 3) when he talks, people listen. You've got a leg up on me with your degree, now be that smart and have a reevaluation.
well although i was away for three years, new zealand is relatively close to australia, so i would always visit more than twice a year , especially since i have a home there and my parents were there. my parents only started their job in korea the middle of last year so it hasn't been THAT long. I have alot of cousins, uncles, aunts and my half brothers in Australia too. I know it doesn't soley depend on your family ties.

I do appreciate everyone's comments, but i am not hear to listen to people's ignorant comments about "being smart because i have a degree" or my grammer skills. like i said, this is a forum where you ask for friendly advice, not an essay competition.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Can YOU explain to OP why she was denied?
Apparently not. Should've stuck to my first answer.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Apparently not. Should've stuck to my first answer.
Hi:

I was figuring that OP would be back early evening of Pacific Daylight Time.

OP doesn't care to examine what went wrong and why -- she is simply pissed.

I wish her luck at her interview in Melbourne.

Ms. OP -- the process is loaded against you in the first place. It is just the nature of things. It really helps when you go to Melbourne that you understand the denial from the CONSULAR viewpoint. I have found it quite effective to say "I understand why they did what they did, but can you look at this?" REPEAT -- you MUST understand it from THEIR viewpoint.

I told you I don't give specific advice here -- but the last paragraph is one you really have to take to heart. Instead of cursing the Consular Officer, try assuming he was right, what was behind that, and then what you might do to meet that. BIG HINT -- really look into your father's history and future plans. I think HIS actions are being "imputed" to you.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi:

I was figuring that OP would be back early evening of Pacific Daylight Time.

OP doesn't care to examine what went wrong and why -- she is simply pissed.

I wish her luck at her interview in Melbourne.

Ms. OP -- the process is loaded against you in the first place. It is just the nature of things. It really helps when you go to Melbourne that you understand the denial from the CONSULAR viewpoint. I have found it quite effective to say "I understand why they did what they did, but can you look at this?" REPEAT -- you MUST understand it from THEIR viewpoint.

I told you I don't give specific advice here -- but the last paragraph is one you really have to take to heart. Instead of cursing the Consular Officer, try assuming he was right, what was behind that, and then what you might do to meet that. BIG HINT -- really look into your father's history and future plans. I think HIS actions are being "imputed" to you.

I have actually been thinking that maybe my father's history could have something to do with this, especially if he is currently working abroad. It's just a matter of trying to convince the officer that no matter where my parents are working at they have always returned back to Australia and that I will do the same. But I guess as you said, the officer will look at it differently. There's nothing I can deny about the fact my father is working overseas, and I will only provide the entire honest truth. My fathers contract in Korea is a continuing contract but he is due to finish next year and return to Australia, unless he is willing to extend it.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

I have actually been thinking that maybe my father's history could have something to do with this, especially if he is currently working abroad. It's just a matter of trying to convince the officer that no matter where my parents are working at they have always returned back to Australia and that I will do the same. But I guess as you said, the officer will look at it differently. There's nothing I can deny about the fact my father is working overseas, and I will only provide the entire honest truth. My fathers contract in Korea is a continuing contract but he is due to finish next year and return to Australia, unless he is willing to extend it.

Thanks again for your advice.
Hi:

Bingo. You really need that legal consultation. You just made another buzzer go off in my head. You keep justifying the denial even though you think you are not.

Not anywhere on point, but relevant, and unlike you the "burden of proof" was in the lady's favor, while you are on the wrong end of the stick -- see http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol19/3079.pdf. Just for your information.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi:

Bingo. You really need that legal consultation. You just made another buzzer go off in my head. You keep justifying the denial even though you think you are not.

Not anywhere on point, but relevant, and unlike you the "burden of proof" was in the lady's favor, while you are on the wrong end of the stick -- see http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol19/3079.pdf. Just for your information.
Ah, this whole thing is very confusing and very complicated. It's so hard to just obtain an F-1 visa to study in the states.
You say I'm at the wrong end of the stick, can you further explain that? If its too "specific" don't worry about it. But i'm guessing its because of my fathers history?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

RBN282 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from what others have pointed out, the fact that you are applying for a second bachelor's degree looks odd. Very few people do this. It conveys an impression that you want to get to the US at any cost-especially as Australia has a good university system.
Your chances might be slightly better if you were going for a master's degree instead-but there are plenty of other "red flags". Good luck in Australia.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i am not hear to listen to people's ignorant comments...
My comments weren't "ignorant"... in fact, they were quite the opposite - so you might want to consult a dictionary while you're at it! I'm trying to help you improve your written English... if you don't want to take advantage of that assistance, fine! No need to get mad at me just because you're pissed off at some consular officer.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My comments weren't "ignorant"... in fact, they were quite the opposite - so you might want to consult a dictionary while you're at it! I'm trying to help you improve your written English... if you don't want to take advantage of that assistance, fine! No need to get mad at me just because you're pissed off at some consular officer.

Ian
As i said, i am not here to "improve" my "written english", I am here asking for some useful, friendly advice in regards to my situation.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:06 am
Account Closed

You say I'm at the wrong end of the stick, can you further explain that?
Hi:

I already did.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

I already did.
Stocky Indian (without wife) had a bit of tea.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Stocky Indian (without wife) had a bit of tea.
Ah! #11 Across.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Ah, this whole thing is very confusing and very complicated. It's so hard to just obtain an F-1 visa to study in the states.
You say I'm at the wrong end of the stick, can you further explain that? If its too "specific" don't worry about it. But i'm guessing its because of my fathers history?
Hi:

Second response. It IS "complicated" but it should not be "confusing" if one knows what they are doing. Unfortunately, it seems that you do not. Your case is now difficult, but may very well NOT be impossible. It is not beyond repair.

You should now be aware of the problems in your case and perhaps can think of ways to address them. Please drop the wounded attitude, it will get you nowhere.

For your information -- the national "visa maven" of the American Immigration Lawyer Association is Jan Pedersen in Washington DC. She can be contacted via her website which can be found easily by google of "pedersen immigration law group". [I would post the link, but that has been troublesome with the owners of this list].

Good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

For your information -- the national "visa maven" of the American Immigration Lawyer Association is Jan Pedersen in Washington DC. She can be contacted via her website which can be found easily by google of "pedersen immigration law group". [I would post the link, but that has been troublesome with the owners of this list].
You have a funny interpretation of their rulings IMO.

I'm throwing caution to the wind, however. Here's your link:

http://www.usvisainfo.com/index.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.