Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Australian Citizen Applying for F-1 visa

Wikiposts

Australian Citizen Applying for F-1 visa

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Citizen Applying for F-1 visa

Originally Posted by girlie86
sorry again but, what was wrong with my interview? what made him think i didnt have any residence abroad when he didnt really ask questions or have me state the facts? what should i have said ? im guessin i should of elaborated about my ties to back home but was not given a chance as he kept cutting me off
Hi:

Re-read your post again. If you can, read dispassionately without the thought of "why did that jerk of a consular officer refuse the visa I am so entitled to?"

CAVEAT -- I may be a lawyer, but I am not YOUR lawyer. There is no attorney-client relationship between the two of us and I want to make clear that I have no intention of even creating the impression that one just might possibly exist. So my comments are deliberately meant to be general in nature.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Jun 23rd 2008 at 3:20 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:22 am
Just Joined

girlie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Re-read your post again. If you can, read dispassionately without the thought of "why did that jerk of a consular officer refuse the visa I am so entitled to?"
yeah i re-read it but it still doesnt make sense as it how i was dissaproved? was it cus i wasnt intending of flying from australia to the states, since i said i will be flying from korea to the states? and when i said that i plan to return back to australia after my studies... i mean that was a straight forward answer. and every other question he asked about my dad? so i dont see how it shows i dont have strong ties to australia. sorry just this whole visa situation is a little confusing for me. and im trying to figure it all out before i appear for my next interview
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Hi:

CAVEAT -- I may be a lawyer, but I am not YOUR lawyer. There is no attorney-client relationship between the two of us and I want to make clear that I have no intention of even creating the impression that one just might possibly exist. So my comments are deliberately meant to be general in nature.
understandable.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i re-read it but it still doesnt make sense as it how i was dissaproved? was it cus i wasnt intending of flying from australia to the states, since i said i will be flying from korea to the states? and when i said that i plan to return back to australia after my studies... i mean that was a straight forward answer. and every other question he asked about my dad? so i dont see how it shows i dont have strong ties to australia. sorry just this whole visa situation is a little confusing for me. and im trying to figure it all out before i appear for my next interview
Exactly. There is a lot more to it that what you read on a webpage. It's not a matter of: You must meet these 5 quantifiable bullet points and you WILL get a visa. It can be much more vague and intuitive than that; you really should get some professional help for your re-application.
If you speak the way you write, I can see one more area for improvement.

Slow down, learn some more stuff, speak with a pro, *then* interview. Good luck!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:21 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

their main concern is that you are going legitimatly to study and that you will return home to australia at the end of the visa.

You may have every intention of returning but its down to you to prove to them that its so in your interests to return the chance of staying is nil. It doesnt really matter what country it is - its the demonstration of ties to the country they want to see. Just search this forum for other f1 threads for ideas. dont get hung up on the australia or korea thing. if australia is home then thats where you need to show ties to.

If your family is spread about in other countries you might have to gather a wider variety of other evidence of strong ties to get approved.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
You must meet these 5 quantifiable bullet points and you WILL get a visa.
Hi:

Do not ever say one "will" get a visa. No such animal exists. It may be a 99.999% odds of approval. But is NEVER 100%.

Period.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:50 am
Account Closed

Hi:

The overarching rule is that there is a presumption that you do NOT qualify for a non-immigrant visa. Burden of proof is on YOU.

You are NOT, repeat NOT, "entitled" to a visa.

If you give a fact situation which indicates that just might not qualify, then the visa will be denied. That is precisely what you did. I don't know how much clear I can get. And this is based on the facts YOU state.

Let me put it this way -- based upon what you related, I would have denied the visa if I was a Consular Officer.

BTW, the DS-156's along with the refusal notes are digitized these days and the girl on the visa line in Melbourne will be able to read it.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Jun 23rd 2008 at 7:56 am. Reason: add comment about digitizing.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Do not ever say one "will" get a visa. No such animal exists. It may be a 99.999% odds of approval. But is NEVER 100%.

Period.
Correct. The entire quote says "It is not a matter of (meet these requirements and success is guaranteed).
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Correct. The entire quote says "It is not a matter of (meet these requirements and success is guaranteed).
Hi:

Can YOU explain to OP why she was denied? It is obvious to me why she was denied. I don't know how to make it clearer without a long essay, which I don't care to do right here.

I'm also afraid she may have figuratively shot herself in the foot. She knows about the wound but fails to recognize that she was the one holding the pistol and pulling the trigger.

I wish her the best of luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Something that you need to realise is that applying for a visa at a consulate which is not in your normal country of residence is an unusual thing to do.

Quoting from the Seoul Embassy's web site (my emphasis):

U.S. law requires that all visitor and student NIV applicants show sufficiently strong family, social, professional or economic ties to a residence abroad to ensure that their stay in the U.S. will be temporary. Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended (INA), states that "every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until s/he establishes to the satisfaction of the officer, at the time of the application for a visa, that s/he is entitled to nonimmigrant status." This means that we are required to view each NIV applicant as intending to immigrate, and therefore ineligible for an NIV, until the applicant proves otherwise. We must caution non-Koreans that establishing such ties while someone is away from home, and in Korea temporarily, can be difficult.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by md95065
Something that you need to realise is that applying for a visa at a consulate which is not in your normal country of residence is an unusual thing to do.

Quoting from the Seoul Embassy's web site (my emphasis):
Hi:

I had not seen that web-site. Interesting. I was simply going on what OP had posted. The posting is another reason for denial.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:39 am

Hi:

Can YOU explain to OP why she was denied? It is obvious to me why she was denied. I don't know how to make it clearer without a long essay, which I don't care to do right here.

I'm also afraid she may have figuratively shot herself in the foot. She knows about the wound but fails to recognize that she was the one holding the pistol and pulling the trigger.

I wish her the best of luck.
Um, no essays from me either. She probably wouldn't appreciate my vague notions on the subject anyway. Did you know I'm a triple Pisces? Very watery.

Portland is (in)famous for one population. 'Transient' may not be politically correct anymore, but it is descriptive.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Um, no essays from me either. She probably wouldn't appreciate my vague notions on the subject anyway. Did you know I'm a triple Pisces? Very watery.

Portland is (in)famous for one population. 'Transient' may not be politically correct anymore, but it is descriptive.
I appreciate all of your advice. But although it was stated on the website, i had spoken to someone on the phone at the u.s embassy numerous times and they said it is NOT impossible to gain a visa here in korea. so i went ahead, i shouldnt of but i cant change whats already done.

i just hope that me applying in australia will somehow earn me the advantage to gain a visa. i am willing to explain my situation at the beginning of the interview.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i shouldnt of but i cant change whats already done.
You have a degree in Primary Education and you're going after a degree in Elementary Education. You need to know that the correct phrase is "shouldn't HAVE" not "shouldn't of".

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You have a degree in Primary Education and you're going after a degree in Elementary Education. You need to know that the correct phrase is "shouldn't HAVE" not "shouldn't of".

Ian
im not in this forum to gain grammer skills, nor am i going to proof read it through to point out the errors. i am here to ask for advice, either kindly offer me the advice or don't. thanks.

Last edited by girlie86; Jun 23rd 2008 at 1:05 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.