Wikiposts

Atlanta - EAD Experience

Old May 30th 2002, 2:20 pm
Anthony Elliott

Default Atlanta - EAD Experience

Hi all,

On February 12 I sent in the I-485s, EAD and AP applications for my K1 wife and her
16-year old daughter. As of yesterday (5/29) we hadn't received anything from the
INS - no receipt, no EAD appointment date, no AP paperwork. Since it has been more
than 90 days we decided to drive down to the INS office in Atlanta this morning to
get the scoop.

We arrived about 6:50 am and parked directly across the street in a parking deck
($7). There were already 75-80 people there lined up outside the building (the office
opens at 7:30). We assumed our place in line. About
7:15 a guard came out (and again about every 10 minutes afterwards) to find those who
had appointment letters for that day. Those people were led inside in small groups.
The line for us "walk-ins" continued to move forward - about 15 people at a time
every 7-10 minutes. About 7:45 we were finally allowed inside.

Once through the doors, our group was given the lecture about cell phone usage,
emptying our pockets into the little plastic container and passing it (and any other
bags or folders) through x-ray, were told where the snack room and restrooms were,
etc. We then passed through the metal detector, collected our x-rayed items and were
led to another line. This one led up to the guard at the reception desk.

After another 30 minutes of waiting we presented the "receptionist" with our
cancelled checks showing the purpose and dates of filings. We explained our situation
and that we wished to obtain the EADs and APs for my wife and step-daughter. He gave
us two yellow file folders (numbered #4 and #5), inserted a copy of a blank I-765
into each along with photocopies of the cancelled checks. He told us to proceed to
room 104 for the EAD and when we finished there to go on to room 111 for the AP
processing.

Once we arrived in room 104, I was a little uncertain as to what to do with the
folders / forms. There was only one "in-box" on the clerical desk in the office and
it was marked "For appointment letters". There was no INS employees in the reception
area - just a room full of EAD applications, apparently all with appointments. There
wasn't an empty seat in the room. After deciding it was best to ask someone about
our next move, I poked my head into one of the two adjoining offices. Inside there
were two INS officers poking at keyboards (the one-fingered hunt and destroy
method). "Excuse me..", I said cheerfully. The guy closest to the door paused,
stared directly at his screen for 5 seconds or so, then slowly began to looked up at
me to the sides of his eyes and gave me a glance as if I just crawled from under a
rock. I was sooooo tempted to say, "That lady in the front row wants to know what
the hell is taking so long!"

Fearing the repercussions of an obviously ill-timed joke directed at someone who
didn't seem to like his job, I instead decided to apologize for the interruption,
show him the documents we were given at the front desk, briefly explain our situation
and see what happens. He seemed to look very hard to find a reason to send me away
Perhaps it was my imagination? Nah!

He told me to fill out the I-765s again - one for my wife and another for my
step-daughter, put one in folder #4 and the other in #5 and put both folders in the
in-box. He said that they would get to us as soon as they process all of the other
applications there on appointment. He also mentioned that they would have to find the
original paperwork we submitted in February. At about 8:30 we claimed our spaces
along the wall and engaged our predatory seat-hunting mode

About an hour later, they began to call some of the others up to the reception desk
in this room. He explained the fingerprint/signature card. "Sign INSIDE the blue box.
Touch your right index finger on the pad of ink and then lightly press it into the
square box. Sign the card BEFORE the fingerprint. This is dirt simple people - if you
make a mistake we can't give you another card. You'll have to come back on another
appointment. Please take out your old card, if you have one. You have to surrender
your old card in order to get the new one. If this is your first card, please have
your passport ready to show me." He spoke very quickly, ran his words together and
didn't speak loud enough for all to hear clearly. Since most of the people in the
room didn't speak fluent English anyway, what followed was a little sad and a little
comical He was always very stern and rude, and pointed out peoples' mistakes AFTER
they were made. One poor woman was almost in tears because she was convinced she'd
have to wait another 5 months to get a new EAD appointment.

As each person finished the "sign and print" session, they were directed into the
front adjoining office to have the photo taken and then sent back to their seat.
After about 15 minutes, a very nice lady emerged from the front room with a stack of
finished EAD cards. She called out names, handed out cards, offered each person a
smile and well-wishes. (So, there's at least ONE human being that works at the INS!)
Once each person received his/her card, they could leave.

The room briefly cleared out as the first group of appointments were concluded ...
before the next group arrived. We seized our opportunity to grab seats. Shortly
afterwards the room began to fill again - People were standing against the wall
once again.

At last we heard our name called. We approached the desk with copies of all of our
paperwork in hand and fully prepared to answer any question he threw at us. We were
informed that they couldn't immediate locate our file and asked if it could have been
filed under my wife's former family name. I showed him copies of the I-765s initially
filed, pointed out the "A" number assigned to my step-daughter (written on the
cancelled check), etc. He gave us a "hmmmm" and said that he "thought" he had
everything he needed and would send someone down to look for the file again.

We turned to return to our seats but found that they had already been snarfled by a
man, women and their infant daughter (in a car seat). I wanted to get mad and yell at
someone ... but this was largely due to the uncertainly of our file's status and
visions of us being stuck in the INS building until late in the day trying to prove
that the cancelled checks weren't manufactured After all, I would have gladly
surrendered my seat to the couple if only they had asked. Despite this, I was still
angry and rationalizing didn't seem to help much at the time. Oh well.

Another 60-70 minutes passed, the second group came and went, we reclaimed new seats
(small victory for the moment). As the third group began to arrive, we were called to
the desk again. THIS time, I left my wife and step-daughter behind with orders to
guard the empty seat with their lives
     Then came some good news ... They found our file. I was then presented
with the payment receipt, copy of the form letter that they were suppose to mail, a
pre-addressed envelope in which they were going to mail the receipt, etc. whenever
they got around to it. The INS agent (the mean one) has toned down a little and said
"Everything's cool. We'll get this wrapped up for you as soon as I can get the rest
of these people with appointments out of here." I returned to my seat somewhat
relieved and happy that I didn't have to kill my wife and step-daughter for allowing
someone to grab my seat

About 11:15 the last group of appointments were concluded and we were called up again
to do the "sign'em fingerprint'em" thing and the get the photos taken. My wife and
step-daughter were -extremely- careful to sign their name only within the blue
rectangle and to apply only a perfect fingerprint to the blue box About 15 minutes
later, the nice lady emerged with the two EAD cards. However, she said that we
couldn't pick up the AP documents today. Apparently one office doesn't know how to
walk a recently-pulled file to another office on the same day. She also said that the
AP paperwork would be processed "immediately" and we'll receive it in the mail within
a week. I'm crossing my fingers.

I hope this helps someone facing a similar situation and considering a drive down to
Atlanta INS for a walk-in. FWIW, the people there on appointment for the EADs filed
their paperwork in mid-January - at least the ones we spoke with.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Tony

Old May 30th 2002, 5:20 pm
Falx Cerebri

Default Re: Atlanta - EAD Experience

I wonder why the recent delays in the EADs. I got my EAD in less than a month. I
applied in Nov 2001 and got it in Dec.

Anthony Elliott <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > On February 12 I sent in the I-485s, EAD and AP applications for my K1
wife
    > and her 16-year old daughter. As of yesterday (5/29) we hadn't received anything
    > from the INS - no receipt, no EAD appointment date, no AP paperwork. Since it has
    > been more than 90 days we decided to drive down to the INS office in Atlanta this
    > morning to get the scoop.
    >
    > We arrived about 6:50 am and parked directly across the street in a
parking
    > deck ($7). There were already 75-80 people there lined up outside the building (the
    > office opens at 7:30). We assumed our place in line. About
    > 7:15 a guard came out (and again about every 10 minutes afterwards) to
find
    > those who had appointment letters for that day. Those people were led
inside
    > in small groups. The line for us "walk-ins" continued to move forward - about 15
    > people at a time every 7-10 minutes. About 7:45 we were finally allowed inside.
    >
    > Once through the doors, our group was given the lecture about cell phone usage,
    > emptying our pockets into the little plastic container and passing
it
    > (and any other bags or folders) through x-ray, were told where the snack room and
    > restrooms were, etc. We then passed through the metal detector, collected our
    > x-rayed items and were led to another line. This one led up
to
    > the guard at the reception desk.
    >
    > After another 30 minutes of waiting we presented the "receptionist" with
our
    > cancelled checks showing the purpose and dates of filings. We explained
our
    > situation and that we wished to obtain the EADs and APs for my wife and
    > step-daughter. He gave us two yellow file folders (numbered #4 and #5), inserted a
    > copy of a blank I-765 into each along with photocopies of the cancelled checks. He
    > told us to proceed to room 104 for the EAD and when
we
    > finished there to go on to room 111 for the AP processing.
    >
    > Once we arrived in room 104, I was a little uncertain as to what to do
with
    > the folders / forms. There was only one "in-box" on the clerical desk in
the
    > office and it was marked "For appointment letters". There was no INS employees in
    > the reception area - just a room full of EAD applications, apparently all with
    > appointments. There wasn't an empty seat in the room. After deciding it was best to
    > ask someone about our next move, I poked my head into one of the two adjoining
    > offices. Inside there were two INS officers poking at keyboards (the one-fingered
    > hunt and destroy method). "Excuse me..", I said cheerfully. The guy closest to the
    > door paused,
stared
    > directly at his screen for 5 seconds or so, then slowly began to looked up at me to
    > the sides of his eyes and gave me a glance as if I just crawled from under a rock.
    > I was sooooo tempted to say, "That lady in the front
row
    > wants to know what the hell is taking so long!"
    >
    > Fearing the repercussions of an obviously ill-timed joke directed at
someone
    > who didn't seem to like his job, I instead decided to apologize for the
    > interruption, show him the documents we were given at the front desk, briefly
    > explain our situation and see what happens. He seemed to look very hard to find a
    > reason to send me away Perhaps it was my imagination? Nah!
    >
    > He told me to fill out the I-765s again - one for my wife and another for
my
    > step-daughter, put one in folder #4 and the other in #5 and put both
folders
    > in the in-box. He said that they would get to us as soon as they process all of the
    > other applications there on appointment. He also mentioned that they would have to
    > find the original paperwork we submitted in February.
At
    > about 8:30 we claimed our spaces along the wall and engaged our predatory
    > seat-hunting mode
    >
    > About an hour later, they began to call some of the others up to the reception desk
    > in this room. He explained the fingerprint/signature card. "Sign INSIDE the blue
    > box. Touch your right index finger on the pad of ink and then lightly press it into
    > the square box. Sign the card BEFORE the fingerprint. This is dirt simple people -
    > if you make a mistake we can't give you another card. You'll have to come back on
    > another appointment. Please take out your old card, if you have one. You have to
    > surrender your old card in order to get the new one. If this is your first card,
    > please have your passport ready to show me." He spoke very quickly, ran his
words
    > together and didn't speak loud enough for all to hear clearly. Since most
of
    > the people in the room didn't speak fluent English anyway, what followed
was
    > a little sad and a little comical He was always very stern and rude,
and
    > pointed out peoples' mistakes AFTER they were made. One poor woman was almost in
    > tears because she was convinced she'd have to wait another 5 months to get a new
    > EAD appointment.
    >
    > As each person finished the "sign and print" session, they were directed into the
    > front adjoining office to have the photo taken and then sent back to their seat.
    > After about 15 minutes, a very nice lady emerged from the front room with a stack
    > of finished EAD cards. She called out names,
handed
    > out cards, offered each person a smile and well-wishes. (So, there's at least ONE
    > human being that works at the INS!) Once each person received his/her card, they
    > could leave.
    >
    > The room briefly cleared out as the first group of appointments were concluded ...
    > before the next group arrived. We seized our opportunity to grab seats. Shortly
    > afterwards the room began to fill again - People were standing against the wall
    > once again.
    >
    > At last we heard our name called. We approached the desk with copies of
all
    > of our paperwork in hand and fully prepared to answer any question he
threw
    > at us. We were informed that they couldn't immediate locate our file and asked if
    > it could have been filed under my wife's former family name. I showed him copies of
    > the I-765s initially filed, pointed out the "A"
number
    > assigned to my step-daughter (written on the cancelled check), etc. He
gave
    > us a "hmmmm" and said that he "thought" he had everything he needed and would send
    > someone down to look for the file again.
    >
    > We turned to return to our seats but found that they had already been snarfled by a
    > man, women and their infant daughter (in a car seat). I wanted to get mad and yell
    > at someone ... but this was largely due to the uncertainly of our file's status and
    > visions of us being stuck in the INS building until late in the day trying to prove
    > that the cancelled checks weren't manufactured After all, I would have gladly
    > surrendered my
seat
    > to the couple if only they had asked. Despite this, I was still angry and
    > rationalizing didn't seem to help much at the time. Oh well.
    >
    > Another 60-70 minutes passed, the second group came and went, we reclaimed new
    > seats (small victory for the moment). As the third group began to arrive, we were
    > called to the desk again. THIS time, I left my wife and step-daughter behind with
    > orders to guard the empty seat with their lives
    > Then came some good news ... They found our file. I was then
presented
    > with the payment receipt, copy of the form letter that they were suppose
to
    > mail, a pre-addressed envelope in which they were going to mail the
receipt,
    > etc. whenever they got around to it. The INS agent (the mean one) has
toned
    > down a little and said "Everything's cool. We'll get this wrapped up for
you
    > as soon as I can get the rest of these people with appointments out of here." I
    > returned to my seat somewhat relieved and happy that I didn't
have
    > to kill my wife and step-daughter for allowing someone to grab my seat
    >
    > About 11:15 the last group of appointments were concluded and we were
called
    > up again to do the "sign'em fingerprint'em" thing and the get the photos taken. My
    > wife and step-daughter were -extremely- careful to sign their
name
    > only within the blue rectangle and to apply only a perfect fingerprint to the blue
    > box About 15 minutes later, the nice lady emerged with the
two
    > EAD cards. However, she said that we couldn't pick up the AP documents today.
    > Apparently one office doesn't know how to walk a recently-pulled
file
    > to another office on the same day. She also said that the AP paperwork
would
    > be processed "immediately" and we'll receive it in the mail within a week. I'm
    > crossing my fingers.
    >
    > I hope this helps someone facing a similar situation and considering a
drive
    > down to Atlanta INS for a walk-in. FWIW, the people there on appointment for the
    > EADs filed their paperwork in mid-January - at least the ones we spoke with.
    >
    > Drop me a line if you have any questions.
    >
    > Tony

Old May 31st 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Atlanta - EAD Experience

Thanks for posting this! I wonder if they did the IBIS check

Andy

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Anthony Elliott"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > On February 12 I sent in the I-485s, EAD and AP applications for my K1
wife
    > and her 16-year old daughter. As of yesterday (5/29) we hadn't received anything
    > from the INS - no receipt, no EAD appointment date, no AP paperwork. Since it has
    > been more than 90 days we decided to drive down to the INS office in Atlanta this
    > morning to get the scoop.
    >
    > We arrived about 6:50 am and parked directly across the street in a
parking
    > deck ($7). There were already 75-80 people there lined up outside the building (the
    > office opens at 7:30). We assumed our place in line. About
    > 7:15 a guard came out (and again about every 10 minutes afterwards) to
find
    > those who had appointment letters for that day. Those people were led
inside
    > in small groups. The line for us "walk-ins" continued to move forward - about 15
    > people at a time every 7-10 minutes. About 7:45 we were finally allowed inside.
    >
    > Once through the doors, our group was given the lecture about cell phone usage,
    > emptying our pockets into the little plastic container and passing
it
    > (and any other bags or folders) through x-ray, were told where the snack room and
    > restrooms were, etc. We then passed through the metal detector, collected our
    > x-rayed items and were led to another line. This one led up
to
    > the guard at the reception desk.
    >
    > After another 30 minutes of waiting we presented the "receptionist" with
our
    > cancelled checks showing the purpose and dates of filings. We explained
our
    > situation and that we wished to obtain the EADs and APs for my wife and
    > step-daughter. He gave us two yellow file folders (numbered #4 and #5), inserted a
    > copy of a blank I-765 into each along with photocopies of the cancelled checks. He
    > told us to proceed to room 104 for the EAD and when
we
    > finished there to go on to room 111 for the AP processing.
    >
    > Once we arrived in room 104, I was a little uncertain as to what to do
with
    > the folders / forms. There was only one "in-box" on the clerical desk in
the
    > office and it was marked "For appointment letters". There was no INS employees in
    > the reception area - just a room full of EAD applications, apparently all with
    > appointments. There wasn't an empty seat in the room. After deciding it was best to
    > ask someone about our next move, I poked my head into one of the two adjoining
    > offices. Inside there were two INS officers poking at keyboards (the one-fingered
    > hunt and destroy method). "Excuse me..", I said cheerfully. The guy closest to the
    > door paused,
stared
    > directly at his screen for 5 seconds or so, then slowly began to looked up at me to
    > the sides of his eyes and gave me a glance as if I just crawled from under a rock.
    > I was sooooo tempted to say, "That lady in the front
row
    > wants to know what the hell is taking so long!"
    >
    > Fearing the repercussions of an obviously ill-timed joke directed at
someone
    > who didn't seem to like his job, I instead decided to apologize for the
    > interruption, show him the documents we were given at the front desk, briefly
    > explain our situation and see what happens. He seemed to look very hard to find a
    > reason to send me away Perhaps it was my imagination? Nah!
    >
    > He told me to fill out the I-765s again - one for my wife and another for
my
    > step-daughter, put one in folder #4 and the other in #5 and put both
folders
    > in the in-box. He said that they would get to us as soon as they process all of the
    > other applications there on appointment. He also mentioned that they would have to
    > find the original paperwork we submitted in February.
At
    > about 8:30 we claimed our spaces along the wall and engaged our predatory
    > seat-hunting mode
    >
    > About an hour later, they began to call some of the others up to the reception desk
    > in this room. He explained the fingerprint/signature card. "Sign INSIDE the blue
    > box. Touch your right index finger on the pad of ink and then lightly press it into
    > the square box. Sign the card BEFORE the fingerprint. This is dirt simple people -
    > if you make a mistake we can't give you another card. You'll have to come back on
    > another appointment. Please take out your old card, if you have one. You have to
    > surrender your old card in order to get the new one. If this is your first card,
    > please have your passport ready to show me." He spoke very quickly, ran his
words
    > together and didn't speak loud enough for all to hear clearly. Since most
of
    > the people in the room didn't speak fluent English anyway, what followed
was
    > a little sad and a little comical He was always very stern and rude,
and
    > pointed out peoples' mistakes AFTER they were made. One poor woman was almost in
    > tears because she was convinced she'd have to wait another 5 months to get a new
    > EAD appointment.
    >
    > As each person finished the "sign and print" session, they were directed into the
    > front adjoining office to have the photo taken and then sent back to their seat.
    > After about 15 minutes, a very nice lady emerged from the front room with a stack
    > of finished EAD cards. She called out names,
handed
    > out cards, offered each person a smile and well-wishes. (So, there's at least ONE
    > human being that works at the INS!) Once each person received his/her card, they
    > could leave.
    >
    > The room briefly cleared out as the first group of appointments were concluded ...
    > before the next group arrived. We seized our opportunity to grab seats. Shortly
    > afterwards the room began to fill again - People were standing against the wall
    > once again.
    >
    > At last we heard our name called. We approached the desk with copies of
all
    > of our paperwork in hand and fully prepared to answer any question he
threw
    > at us. We were informed that they couldn't immediate locate our file and asked if
    > it could have been filed under my wife's former family name. I showed him copies of
    > the I-765s initially filed, pointed out the "A"
number
    > assigned to my step-daughter (written on the cancelled check), etc. He
gave
    > us a "hmmmm" and said that he "thought" he had everything he needed and would send
    > someone down to look for the file again.
    >
    > We turned to return to our seats but found that they had already been snarfled by a
    > man, women and their infant daughter (in a car seat). I wanted to get mad and yell
    > at someone ... but this was largely due to the uncertainly of our file's status and
    > visions of us being stuck in the INS building until late in the day trying to prove
    > that the cancelled checks weren't manufactured After all, I would have gladly
    > surrendered my
seat
    > to the couple if only they had asked. Despite this, I was still angry and
    > rationalizing didn't seem to help much at the time. Oh well.
    >
    > Another 60-70 minutes passed, the second group came and went, we reclaimed new
    > seats (small victory for the moment). As the third group began to arrive, we were
    > called to the desk again. THIS time, I left my wife and step-daughter behind with
    > orders to guard the empty seat with their lives
    > Then came some good news ... They found our file. I was then
presented
    > with the payment receipt, copy of the form letter that they were suppose
to
    > mail, a pre-addressed envelope in which they were going to mail the
receipt,
    > etc. whenever they got around to it. The INS agent (the mean one) has
toned
    > down a little and said "Everything's cool. We'll get this wrapped up for
you
    > as soon as I can get the rest of these people with appointments out of here." I
    > returned to my seat somewhat relieved and happy that I didn't
have
    > to kill my wife and step-daughter for allowing someone to grab my seat
    >
    > About 11:15 the last group of appointments were concluded and we were
called
    > up again to do the "sign'em fingerprint'em" thing and the get the photos taken. My
    > wife and step-daughter were -extremely- careful to sign their
name
    > only within the blue rectangle and to apply only a perfect fingerprint to the blue
    > box About 15 minutes later, the nice lady emerged with the
two
    > EAD cards. However, she said that we couldn't pick up the AP documents today.
    > Apparently one office doesn't know how to walk a recently-pulled
file
    > to another office on the same day. She also said that the AP paperwork
would
    > be processed "immediately" and we'll receive it in the mail within a week. I'm
    > crossing my fingers.
    >
    > I hope this helps someone facing a similar situation and considering a
drive
    > down to Atlanta INS for a walk-in. FWIW, the people there on appointment for the
    > EADs filed their paperwork in mid-January - at least the ones we spoke with.
    >
    > Drop me a line if you have any questions.
    >
    > Tony