Asset valuation

Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Asset valuation

Hi.
Whilst I have all my receipts for equipment purchased to operate my company in the UK, over time the value can go down.
I am looking for a company that can do valuation on these assets to put in the application for an E2 visa.

For the life of me, I cannot seem to find companies like that. Does anyone know how that works/some companies based in the UK that do this stuff?

thanks!
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asset valuation

Originally Posted by firehawk
I am looking for a company that can do valuation on these assets to put in the application for an E2 visa.
I'm not sure I've ever heard of a company that does this specifically. I'm guessing that most people use some sort of industry standard such as insurance or tax depreciation to arrive at a current asset value.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks Ian. interesting. from what I gather, the us embassy/USCIS require the amount being invested - this to me means all the receipts of items purchased or being put forward for investment but they wouldn't want the value of items that were purchased say, 6 years ago to still hold value, right?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... but they wouldn't want the value of items that were purchased say, 6 years ago to still hold value, right?
The form questions are generally interpreted at face value... so unless you're specifically asked for the current value (= original value minus depreciation), I don't see why you couldn't submit the original value!

What would happen if you purchased something 6 years ago but never actually used it? Does it retain it's original value? Depreciation is generally based on everyday wear... so I've no idea. Unless you're prepared to undergo an in-depth analysis for each and every piece of equipment, I think original value is simply easier to deal with.

I'm guessing that they're interested in how much you invested... and you did invest the original value!

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The form questions are generally interpreted at face value... so unless you're specifically asked for the current value (= original value minus depreciation), I don't see why you couldn't submit the original value!

What would happen if you purchased something 6 years ago but never actually used it? Does it retain it's original value? Depreciation is generally based on everyday wear... so I've no idea. Unless you're prepared to undergo an in-depth analysis for each and every piece of equipment, I think original value is simply easier to deal with.

I'm guessing that they're interested in how much you invested... and you did invest the original value!

Ian
I disagree. If you purchase computer equipment, vehicles, or machinery, that value usually drops significantly even if not used and very few other things hold their value or increase in value. I don't think USCIS is interested in something that has a $100,000 value today but is reported as having a value of $500,000 since that is what it cost.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 1:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is stuff you will be importing? Probably need it for more that the E2.

Sounds the same deal as you would need for inheritance tax for example.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I am looking for a company that can do valuation on these assets to put in the application for an E2 visa.

For the life of me, I cannot seem to find companies like that. Does anyone know how that works/some companies based in the UK that do this stuff? ....
Business valuations are in the purview of Chartered Accountants. You tell them what you need the valuation for (break-up/ liquidation, insurance, inheritance, divorce, merger/ take-over, intra family sale, etc. etc.) and they will do the calculation and provide a valuation report.

I don't know that all Chartered Accountants will be able to help you, but most that are bigger than a 2-3 partner firm probably could, with a partnership size matched appropriate to the size of your business.