Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

asians having an easier time gettin work in the States?

asians having an easier time gettin work in the States?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: asians having an easier time gettin work in the States?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Do I win a booby prize for spotting the tiresomely anti-Hispanic troll?
Oh God you are an annoying little man. A person can cite a demographic fact and he is instantly a racist. People like you are like the old Soviet apparatchiks, only they didn't use advice forums to constantly belittle people and promote their own businesses.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
"Asians" to Americans means people from the Far East. To Brits it often means people from the Indian subcontinent. Hence the quotes, meaning that the word is to be interpreted in cultural context.

If I was a troll, I'd have to be awfully good to rack up my post count!
Ok, thanks snowbunny; I was aware of the different usage but I presume many are not. My point, which seems to have been either deliberately misunderstood by some, was that the current immigration system is more beneficial to nations who are already well-represented in the US.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:24 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Ok, thanks snowbunny; I was aware of the different usage but I presume many are not. My point, which seems to have been either deliberately misunderstood by some, was that the current immigration system is more beneficial to nations who are already well-represented in the US.
And that is due in part because of the familial presence, but not wholly. As I said - how many highly talented Western European workers would move to the US on an H-1B visa given its restrictions? Diversity IS a good reason to keep the DV lottery around if there's no chance we could move to a points-based system.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi snowbunny, maybe its "The biggest bestist, greatest, humongousist, Troll record in the World" 20,775

What do you think Cindy?
I'll take it! I could use some recognition, however dubious!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

more than perhaps family ties I'd put it down to two other factors. First that a lot of non-West European immigrants seems to be willing to work a hell of a lot harder than I ever would and the US rewards hard work; and second, a lot of non-European immigrants come to study in the US. The European and US higher education systems are considered the best in the world... the US system is just more accessible to most Asians, while most Europeans probably stay put for their subsidized degrees. Studying in the US is the best way to get a foot in the immigration door.

Of course I have no facts to back any of this up... but what fun would it be if I did
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by wordfool
more than perhaps family ties I'd put it down to two other factors. First that a lot of non-West European immigrants seems to be willing to work a hell of a lot harder than I ever would and the US rewards hard work; and second, a lot of non-European immigrants come to study in the US. The European and US higher education systems are considered the best in the world... the US system is just more accessible to most Asians, while most Europeans probably stay put for their subsidized degrees. Studying in the US is the best way to get a foot in the immigration door.

Of course I have no facts to back any of this up... but what fun would it be if I did
Actually, I disagree with a lot of these points.

I don't think the US rewards hard work any more than anywhere else. Less vacation, more working hours, and and expensive healthcare system. I worked hard when there (and I am a Western European) but I didn't find myself much more rewarded than those who didn't work so hard.

I don't agree that the US system is any more accessible to Asians than European systems. It's extremely expensive to study in the US compared to, say, the UK. I wouldn't say the US system is 'more accessible' to anyone in general.

Studying in the US is not the best way to get a foot in the immigration door; from what I know, I don't think you're allowed 'immigrant intent' on a student visa, so it wouldn't make it the best way. Other visas allow you 'immigrant intent'.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

In the Silicon Valley there are a lot of Chinese and Indians working here.

Indians seem to have an advantage because of the large number of Indian outsourcing companies that know how to manipulate the system to get a large number of H1-B visas.

Chinese (both mainland as well as Taiwan) tend to do their post graduate schooling in the US and therefore they can try to obtain employment (on site interviews) once schooling is finished using the H1-B visas allocated for post graduate students (usually easier to get than the normal H1-b visas).

Last edited by Michael; Feb 23rd 2010 at 7:46 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi snowbunny, maybe its "The biggest bestist, greatest, humongousist, Troll record in the World" 20,775

What do you think Cindy?

Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And that is due in part because of the familial presence, but not wholly. As I said - how many highly talented Western European workers would move to the US on an H-1B visa given its restrictions? Diversity IS a good reason to keep the DV lottery around if there's no chance we could move to a points-based system.
DV Lottery really needs to go away and make room for the more talented people, AFTER Americans and PRs have had a shot at getting a job. We're full up of people here (in the context that most immigrants settle in only a handful of states, your state and mine being 2 of them)
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
DV Lottery really needs to go away and make room for the more talented people, AFTER Americans and PRs have had a shot at getting a job. We're full up of people here (in the context that most immigrants settle in only a handful of states, your state and mine being 2 of them)
You're rejecting US history and tradition, perhaps best represented by the words of Ms. Lazarus. And you're only doing it to get back at Ted, I'll guess.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're rejecting US history and tradition, perhaps best represented by the words of Ms. Lazarus. And you're only doing it to get back at Ted, I'll guess.
Don't know how Ted is, and I don't say things out of spite

We have huge amounts of unemployed that already live here on a permanent basis, what's so wrong of letting them have first dibs on jobs that are created? They live here, after all. The immigration service exists to let talented people into the country, they we NEED, it's not supposed to be a charity. We have 300 million people and climbing, and again only in a handful of states. California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Florida are already bursting at the seams
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how Ted is, and I don't say things out of spite

We have huge amounts of unemployed that already live here on a permanent basis, what's so wrong of letting them have first dibs on jobs that are created? They live here, after all. The immigration service exists to let talented people into the country, they we NEED, it's not supposed to be a charity. We have 300 million people and climbing, and again only in a handful of states. California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Florida are already bursting at the seams
Ted's busy pushing up the Daises in case you hadn't heard.

I don't know what it is with the Faux news followers, but they always manage to get their little minds to latch on to some irrelevancy that is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of sorting out messes. In health care, we are convinced that we can cure it all with tort reform, and in immigration it's the DV that's the issue. Both are minuscule parts of gigantic problems.

More reading and less Faux News and Hannity, please! I've said it before and I'll say it again -- they're not helping you to develop as an independent thinker.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:11 pm
Lapine Member

We have huge amounts of unemployed that already live here on a permanent basis, what's so wrong of letting them have first dibs on jobs that are created?
Which has caused the biggest job loss for US citizens - offshoring, or immigration? Where are the new jobs being created, here in the US, or in the BRIC countries?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We have huge amounts of unemployed that already live here on a permanent basis, what's so wrong of letting them have first dibs on jobs that are created? They live here, after all.
OIC. So now you want to document all the undocumenteds so they can go get jobs?
Cool.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:16 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
OIC. So now you want to document all the undocumenteds so they can go get jobs?
Cool.
D'oh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.