Wikiposts

Arguing at the DMV

Old Jul 20th 2004, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Darkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arguing at the DMV

So finally I have all the documents required here in PA for an applicant to adjust status to get a drivers license but then this happened :

I go there and provide them with all the documents where the guy promtly refuses to accept the applicant for a drivers license and says I am a K1.

I explained to him the K1 is a visa that expires within 90 days or if I marry the US citizen (which I did in may). In any case it's expired and he would not believe this and wants me to provide a whole list of other forms and process me as a K1.

I am not sure what I should do at this point, I will go back later with the evidence requested and try again. But what more can I do to prove I am adjusting status and not a K1?

Should I just let him process me as a K1? Since I do get a 4 year license this way.

In any case, I wish they would look at the forms, my NOA1 clearly reads application to adjust status or register as a permanent resident. What more proof does he want that I am not a K1?

I just get angry in myself because you can't argue with these people.

If anyone has any ideas on how to convince them, please tell me

PA dmv rules :

Applicants for adjustment of status :

Social Security Card or letter from Social Security Administration indicating that Social Security Administration did not make a decision yet,
2 proofs of residency,
Immigration documentation indicating status, and
One of the following:
Employment Authorization Document I-688B or I-766
Passport

Resulting License :

Expiration date will be one year from date of
application unless supporting documentation
indicates legal presence for more than one yea

K1 Documentation :

Passport,
I-94,
Visa,
Social Security Card or letter from Social Security Administration indicating that Social Security Administration
did not make a decision yet,
Marriage Certificate showing proof of marriage to U.S. Citizen,
Proof of Citizenship of spouse, and
2 proofs of residency.

Resulting License :

4 year Permanent PA Learner’s Permit, PA Driver’s
License or PA ID Card.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/pub195nc.pdf
Old Jul 20th 2004, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Arguing at the DMV

Originally posted by Darkie
So finally I have all the documents required here in PA for an applicant to adjust status to get a drivers license but then this happened :

I go there and provide them with all the documents where the guy promtly refuses to accept the applicant for a drivers license and says I am a K1.

I explained to him the K1 is a visa that expires within 90 days or if I marry the US citizen (which I did in may). In any case it's expired and he would not believe this and wants me to provide a whole list of other forms and process me as a K1.

I am not sure what I should do at this point, I will go back later with the evidence requested and try again. But what more can I do to prove I am adjusting status and not a K1?

Should I just let him process me as a K1? Since I do get a 4 year license this way.

In any case, I wish they would look at the forms, my NOA1 clearly reads application to adjust status or register as a permanent resident. What more proof does he want that I am not a K1?

I just get angry in myself because you can't argue with these people.

If anyone has any ideas on how to convince them, please tell me

PA dmv rules :

Applicants for adjustment of status :

Social Security Card or letter from Social Security Administration indicating that Social Security Administration did not make a decision yet,
2 proofs of residency,
Immigration documentation indicating status, and
One of the following:
Employment Authorization Document I-688B or I-766
Passport

Resulting License :

Expiration date will be one year from date of
application unless supporting documentation
indicates legal presence for more than one yea

K1 Documentation :

Passport,
I-94,
Visa,
Social Security Card or letter from Social Security Administration indicating that Social Security Administration
did not make a decision yet,
Marriage Certificate showing proof of marriage to U.S. Citizen,
Proof of Citizenship of spouse, and
2 proofs of residency.

Resulting License :

4 year Permanent PA Learner’s Permit, PA Driver’s
License or PA ID Card.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/pub195nc.pdf
I say take the 4 year license and let them think they are doing their part for Homeland Security. This policy has actually been improved since the first incarnation, when K-1's couldn't get their licenses at all, no how, for any length of time, unless and until they had successfully adjusted status. We got stuck in that limbo, I almost got arrested arguing about it on Cameron St (state headquarters) and the policy was modified by the time MarDae's husband went for his.
The stated purpose of the first change in policy was so that aliens whose status would expire would not be able to get state-issued ID that would let them blend in. The modified policy, absurdly, doesn't require any proof that the alien is trying to extend status properly. Asking state employees to interpret and understand federal documentation that the federal employees barely have a grip on is a losing game, but you appear to be on the winning end of it this time. Drive safely and thanks for listening.