Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is Approval No same as Receipt No?

Is Approval No same as Receipt No?

Old Aug 20th 2003, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of
Default Is Approval No same as Receipt No?

I want to call and chase NVC to push our application through there but as yet, haven't received the I-797 NOA2 in the mail.

For those who know, do we get issued another number (approval number) that I have to give NVC, or can I just ring them with our existing Case/Receipt No??

Many thanks
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

msrourke is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on your approval. When you call the NVC, you will use the same case number you tracked it through the service center with. My 129F was approved on Aug 13 and received at NVC on Aug 20. When I called the first time, it wasn't there yet and they told me to allow up to 4 weeks for it to arrive, then I couold call and say it was late. Me, being the hard head, called back again today and it had been received by the NVC and was being input into their system. She said it would take 2 weeks before they knew if it required further security checks, then allow 4-6 weeks after that date if the checks were required. These timelines are what they are told to say, so really mean nothing. However, based upon this board, there is the potential for it to actually be worse than advertised. I really don't think you are going to push them any more than you can push the service center.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Thanks for that. You get used to playing the waiting game after a while...

Good luck!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

If you don't have it, the number is 603-334-0700, Press 1 than 2 to get to a real live person on the phone. They are open from 8:00AM-6:45PM EST Mon-Fri.

If the system is too congested, you will simply be shunted back to the computerized system, which we can't use. Then you have to dial again and hope things are little bit better. Does marvelous things for your phone bill. Fortunately my Mom and Dad live about an hour from the NVC and I let them call for me. They asked for my case number, beneficiary's name and birthdate. I was soooo excited, I gave the lady my name and birthdate, got a chuckle out of her.

Don't mean to paint doom and gloom on zipping your case through, but it's the facts. The NVC doesn't do the security checks, they identify what security checks need to be done, then forward the info to the appropriate agencies. They are not really in control of the process, except for receipt and sending the packages to the consulates, which I understand they are pretty efficient at. She said my file had been logged in at 8:00AM, I called at 9:00AM and the data entry was almost complete.

Good Luck.... Mike
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

mwk2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by msrourke
If you don't have it, the number is 603-334-0700, Press 1 than 2 to get to a real live person on the phone. They are open from 8:00AM-6:45PM EST Mon-Fri.

If the system is too congested, you will simply be shunted back to the computerized system, which we can't use. Then you have to dial again and hope things are little bit better. Does marvelous things for your phone bill. Fortunately my Mom and Dad live about an hour from the NVC and I let them call for me. They asked for my case number, beneficiary's name and birthdate. I was soooo excited, I gave the lady my name and birthdate, got a chuckle out of her.

Don't mean to paint doom and gloom on zipping your case through, but it's the facts. The NVC doesn't do the security checks, they identify what security checks need to be done, then forward the info to the appropriate agencies. They are not really in control of the process, except for receipt and sending the packages to the consulates, which I understand they are pretty efficient at. She said my file had been logged in at 8:00AM, I called at 9:00AM and the data entry was almost complete.

Good Luck.... Mike

Hi, sorry to jump into this discussion. I just came across it and was wondering if you could tell me whether the security checks only are done for the foreign fiancee or also for the U.S. petitioner? My US-fiance has a criminal record in the US, would that cause a problem, what do you think? What do they look for? Any idea?? They would hopefully not deny our case because of his past, would they? I am so very worried about this.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mwk2004
Hi, sorry to jump into this discussion. I just came across it and was wondering if you could tell me whether the security checks only are done for the foreign fiancee or also for the U.S. petitioner? My US-fiance has a criminal record in the US, would that cause a problem, what do you think? What do they look for? Any idea?? They would hopefully not deny our case because of his past, would they? I am so very worried about this.
I am not going to say no, it won't be a problem, because I don't know. That said, the only requirements on the 129F is that the petitioner be a USC and free to marry, then later comes proof of financial support for the immigrant.

Doesn't say anything about "People with criminal record need not apply". Nor does it ask him to disclose his past on any forms that are submitted. I believe that the system is primarily designed to keep bad apples out of the US and disclose sham marriages. His past criminal record may, and I say may, trigger some additional security checks. I think that would depend on the level of his record. If he had some problems with the local cops, misdemeanors here and there, it probably won't raise an eyebrow. But if he has a Federal record, well that could be way different. Again, my thoughts, not facts... Someone else may jump in with first hand knowledge....
Old Aug 21st 2003, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

mwk2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default criminal background of U.S. citizen

Thank you very much for your answer! I realize you are just sharing your thoughts on this, without having expert knowledge about it, but believe me, that already helps.

As for my fiance: unfortunately I have to say he does have a federal criminal history and was in prison for it. So I see there may be delays when they check him out. We did not try to hide anything, so BCIS can see that we are trying to do everything legally and honestly. I only hope that they deny us a life together, just because of his past.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. It's good to be able to communicate with someone and hear different ideas.