Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for visa 6-12 months after visa denial - anyone had any success?

Applying for visa 6-12 months after visa denial - anyone had any success?

Old May 23rd 2019, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

thoracicgerm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for visa 6-12 months after visa denial - anyone had any success?

I have seen on here multiple times people saying to try again to apply for an ESTA 6-12 months after being rejected for a visa - has anyone here actually done this and been approved?

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2019, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for visa 6-12 months after visa denial - anyone had any success?

Yes. It's been mentioned a couple of times over the years. Chances of success generally improve the more time you leave it between a visa denial and ESTA application, but a lot depends on the circumstances of your individual case - ie. which visa you applied for, the reasons why you applied for it and the reasons why it was denied, among other things.
Old May 23rd 2019, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

thoracicgerm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for visa 6-12 months after visa denial - anyone had any success?

Thanks. Do you have to specify on the application why you were denied?
Old May 23rd 2019, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thoracicgerm
I've never applied for an ESTA, but I don't think so.
Old May 23rd 2019, 7:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No, you answer the questions and get either an approval or travel not authorized.
Old May 23rd 2019, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on why you were rejected.
Old May 25th 2019, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thoracicgerm

Would have thought the US immigration authorities are going to know your application history ? ..........
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Kim50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m wondering this exact same thing.

I was denied a student visa in April and was told on BE that I need to apply for a new ESTA visa. I started an application this morning and a box popped up towards the end saying “You have a valid and current visa already, do you wish to continue?” I thought my ESTA would be void once I was refused a visa, are the two visa systems not linked?

Now one I don’t know whether to continue or not!
Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

They are not linked, you need to update your situation.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
They are not linked, you need to update your situation.
Thanks for that info. Just curious, why would anyone tell them their current situation if the two are not linked? Why is an ESTA automatically void if you’re denied a visa, if one system doesn’t ‘talk’ to the other?
Old Jun 6th 2019, 7:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Because you are required to update it by US law.

If you don't care about breaking the law, I guess you wouldn't. However if they find out (and the CBP computer may well be linked with visa systems) then you'll be getting the next plane home, potentially with a stay in handcuffs beforehand.

Why is an ESTA automatically void if you’re denied a visa, if one system doesn’t ‘talk’ to the other?
Your answer is what causes the denial. Until such time as more information is shared. I'm sure that they do 'talk' to each other, but only in the sense that information is shared on a routine basis, it's not real time. That's speculation on my part though.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

I wouldn’t break the law plus particularly in my line of work.

I didn’t know it was US law either. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kim50
Thanks for that info. Just curious, why would anyone tell them their current situation if the two are not linked? Why is an ESTA automatically void if you’re denied a visa, if one system doesn’t ‘talk’ to the other?
Nobody here knows the inner workings, when you seek to visit seems that it does come up on the screen at the PoE that you have been refused a visa so the next question would be did you update ESTA which you are obligated to do.

It does not automatically result in a denial, seems that it does for many but yet again nobody knows the parameters.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO an ESTA is just an electronic authorization to travel to the USA it doesn't guarantee you entry. Applying for a visa is a different process. You can have a valid ESTA but be denied a visa.