Applying for US Citizenship

Old Dec 3rd 2016, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for US Citizenship

Oh Hai, it's been a while since I've frequented this part of the forum ....

Here goes.

So, I entered the US on March 26, 2014 and was processed as a US permanent resident (Immigrant, Married Category - IR-1). What with the whole Trump thing and all I kind of feel (as well as the other benefits, unrestricted access to and from the US and the ability to vote of course) that I want to try and get citizenship sooner rather than later.

Am I right in thinking that the rules are still 3 years minus 90 days from when you first enter? If so that would make my earliest date of application January 26, 2017 right?

In terms of documents, assuming that I will need photographs, biometrics, proof employment and all that stuff (I will check the USCIS checklists).

Last edited by hoffage123; Dec 3rd 2016 at 12:57 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:03 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US Citizenship

Yes [ETA Ian has now pointed out that should be a "no"; that'll teach me to post on a Saturday morning before I've had a coffee ], and yes.

Go for it Hoff!

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 3rd 2016 at 2:23 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123 View Post
Am I right in thinking that the rules are still 3 years minus 90 days from when you first enter?
Well, 3 years minus 90 days from the "resident since" date on your green card. For you, it should be the same date.

If so that would make my earliest date of application January 26, 2017 right?
I'm afraid not. Ninety days prior to 3/26/17 is Dec. 26, 2016.

In terms of documents, assuming that I will need photographs, biometrics, proof employment and all that stuff (I will check the USCIS checklists).
There's no employment or financial requirements. You will need 3 years' worth of tax returns but that's for the "good moral character" requirement and nothing to do with financials. Also, don't forget to check both the physical presence and continuous residency requirements. All that info is in the Guide to Naturalization.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also for others reading this, the OP is basing his ability to file in 3 years instead of the normal 5 years on marriage to a USC. He must still be married to the USC and unlike the filing 90 days prior to the third anniversary of his permanent residency, the marriage must have passed it's third wedding anniversary at the time of his application.

Also will need to include documentation of the ongoing marriage. Otherwise you are clear to file.

Hey, new job, and then citizenship. Way to go, Hoffman.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Hoffage,
there is a calculator on https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-ea...ing-calculator towards the bottom it states
" The calculator will help you verify that you file your Form N-400 with USCIS no more than 90 days prior to your permanent resident anniversary date. USCIS will deny your Form N-400 if you file your Form N-400 more than 90 days prior to your anniversary date. CLICK HERE to access the USCIS Early Filing Calculator."

you can enter the date on your green card and it does the minus 90 day calculation for you
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Also for others reading this, the OP is basing his ability to file in 3 years instead of the normal 5 years on marriage to a USC. He must still be married to the USC and unlike the filing 90 days prior to the third anniversary of his permanent residency, the marriage must have passed it's third wedding anniversary at the time of his application.

Also will need to include documentation of the ongoing marriage. Otherwise you are clear to file.

Hey, new job, and then citizenship. Way to go, Hoffman.
Thanks guys - I am excited to start the process