Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying to travel to USA with record

Wikiposts

Applying to travel to USA with record

Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Applying to travel to USA with record

Originally Posted by crg
I think you all may be talking about apples and oranges. Would it be accurate to say that the record never goes away, but the types of people (police, courts, employers, public) who can access the record may be more restricted/limited over time? It really doesn't matter much from an immigration point of view anyway because it will always have to be reported anyway.
Possibly! At the end of the day as I understand it any offence has to be declared for the US. It then has to be decided if it is CIMT or not. If a CIMT then the whole waiver thing has to come into force. If not a CIMT then its not of concern.

However outside of that (UK), the system is designed to recognise that people are rehabilitated and as such don't need to answer yes to having a criminal record etc. It also is used for security vetting.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Scorpiochik is an unknown quantity at this point

ty jersey and thanks crg for giving me a rough guide for time.

Originally Posted by andy1
Well , i discovered different when i had to get my waiver , and according to the Criminal Adjudications Office in Hampshire , no offence is removed ..as i found out !! maybe its changed ?
andy I think it stays on for police and courts to see and immigration. but say if you are going for jobs then they get spent after a certain number of years so it wont show up on your record and you wouldnt have to declare any convictions on job applications and things like that.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:32 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways

An offence that has been stepped down can be recalled by a police officer but only in very specific circumstances and not through direct access of the PNC. It has to be approved for recall by a senior officer and with just cause.
I have to say as someone who had direct access to the PNC from 1981 - 2006 what a complete load of bo****ks that statement is.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lansbury
I have to say as someone who had direct access to the PNC from 1981 - 2006 what a complete load of bo****ks that statement is.
No it's not. It may have been in your time. But following certain abuses of the system in tbe past, the rules on what can be pulled from the system have been tightened up in recent times. I am happy to discuss privately with you.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll put the popcorn on!

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:43 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
No it's not. It may have been in your time. But following certain abuses of the system in tbe past, the rules on what can be pulled from the system have been tightened up in recent times. I am happy to discuss privately with you.
When you have dug a hole it is best to stop digging and not to make yourself look even less knowledgeable then you already have.

I may have retired at the end of 2006 but I haven't lost touch and among many contacts have a son serving who has direct access to the PNC. So from 2007 until now he agrees 100% with my posting concerning your previous comments.

Spent convictions are the PNC and are there for the operator to see, be that operator a civilian employee or an officer doing their own checks.

Edit to add.

I've just noticed you have now changed it to pulled from the sytem. If by that you mean the restrictions on how the spent convictions can be used, there always have been since the days the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act first came into force. But I stand by what I said, your original comment is total BS.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 1st 2011 at 4:49 am.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll put the popcorn on!

Ian
I'm just off for a coffee than was going to read the briefing packet for tonight's council meeting. I thought discussing renewing the contract for our radar van with the anticipated hot heads in attendance plus the media would be the high light of the day, but now I'm not so sure.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:59 am
Just Joined

When you have dug a hole it is best to stop digging and not to make yourself look even less knowledgeable then you already have.

I may have retired at the end of 2006 but I haven't lost touch and among many contacts have a son serving who has direct access to the PNC. So from 2007 until now he agrees 100% with my posting concerning your previous comments.

Spent convictions are the PNC and are there for the operator to see, be that operator a civilian employee or an officer doing their own checks.

Edit to add.

I've just noticed you have now changed it to pulled from the sytem. If by that you mean the restrictions on how the spent convictions can be used, there always have been since the days the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act first came into force. But I stand by what I said, your original comment is total BS.
I thought spent convictions didnt show up on crb checks if done by an employer. Isn't that just on the enhanced crb?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll put the popcorn on!

Ian
Not to much salt on mine ian plz....Docs orders
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Scorpiochik
I thought spent convictions didnt show up on crb checks if done by an employer. Isn't that just on the enhanced crb?
I wasn't commenting on where spent convictions can be used, just the misinformation that police officers cannot see them on the PNC and need permission from a senior officer to do so.

As to checks for employment I have never had any dealings with those so refrain from commenting on things I have no practical knowledge of. My only working knowledge of legal non police use of PNC information is with visas processed by the US Embassy in London. The Legal Attache's office (FBI) arranged for me to speak to senior members of the visa processing section to explain what they were seeing on PNC printouts submitted with applications. That was prior to ACPO handling the issuing of the certificates.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:50 am
Just Joined

I wasn't commenting on where spent convictions can be used, just the misinformation that police officers cannot see them on the PNC and need permission from a senior officer to do so.

As to checks for employment I have never had any dealings with those so refrain from commenting on things I have no practical knowledge of. My only working knowledge of legal non police use of PNC information is with visas processed by the US Embassy in London. The Legal Attache's office (FBI) arranged for me to speak to senior members of the visa processing section to explain what they were seeing on PNC printouts submitted with applications. That was prior to ACPO handling the issuing of the certificates.
ahh yes sorry, I misread where you had put "civilian employee" as employer