Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for Tourist visa for parents while their I-130s pending

Applying for Tourist visa for parents while their I-130s pending

Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Applying for Tourist visa for parents while their I-130s pending

Originally Posted by khai ko
Thanks Rene.

I just received I-797 NOA saying the I-130 applications have been approved. How long can I expect it to be before the local consulate calls my parents for interviews? DO they need to wait for a visa number to be available? I read somewhere that the process has recently been changed on the visa number availability on I-130s for US citizen petitions. Can you possibly explain ?

Thanks again.
Your parents do not need to wait for a visa number. One will be available to them without a wait.
USCIS will forward their case to NVC in New Hampshire, who will be in contact re: the next steps. You will receive a notice from them, could take 6 weeks to get the case tranferred and notice from NVC. NVC processes paperwork before the case is forwarded to the relevant Embassy overseas.
The paperwork for my parents took about 4 months to go through NVC before it was forwarded on to the London Embassy.

Read up here -

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3180.html

Last edited by farmerwife; Jul 15th 2007 at 2:21 pm. Reason: add link
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

khai ko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Your parents do not need to wait for a visa number. One will be available to them without a wait.
USCIS will forward their case to NVC in New Hampshire, who will be in contact re: the next steps. You will receive a notice from them, could take 6 weeks to get the case tranferred and notice from NVC. NVC processes paperwork before the case is forwarded to the relevant Embassy overseas.
The paperwork for my parents took about 4 months to go through NVC before it was forwarded on to the London Embassy.

Read up here -

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3180.html
Thanks for the link farmerwife. I read in it that NVC will be sending (me?) a Affidavit of Support fee bill, along with the Immigrant Visa fee bill. Does this mean that NVC will require me to file I-864 Affidavit of support forms for my parents? I don't remember sending that forms with the I-130 and I didn't think it would be needed for petitioning for parents.

Can you please shed some light? Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the link farmerwife. I read in it that NVC will be sending (me?) a Affidavit of Support fee bill, along with the Immigrant Visa fee bill. Does this mean that NVC will require me to file I-864 Affidavit of support forms for my parents? I don't remember sending that forms with the I-130 and I didn't think it would be needed for petitioning for parents.

Can you please shed some light? Thanks
Yes - they will send you the Affidavit of Support fee bill - one for each parent.
Yes - they will send you the Immigrant Visa fee bill - one for each parent.
Yes - they will require I-864 Forms from you - one for each parent.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Yes - they will send you the Affidavit of Support fee bill - one for each parent.
Yes - they will send you the Immigrant Visa fee bill - one for each parent.
Yes - they will require I-864 Forms from you - one for each parent.
Would I be correct in assuming that I will need to pay the increased fee for the affidavit of support and immigrant visa fee if they send those 'bills' after July 30?

Would it be possible to file the affidavit of support now (before July 30) and pay the current fee because I know that I will need to file them anyway?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Would I be correct in assuming that I will need to pay the increased fee for the affidavit of support and immigrant visa fee if they send those 'bills' after July 30?

Would it be possible to file the affidavit of support now (before July 30) and pay the current fee because I know that I will need to file them anyway?

You can't file the affadavits of support or immigrant visa paperwork until you have paid the NVC the fees for them. When you have paid the NVC, they will send you the forms (actually NVC sends instructions to download the forms off the internet). But you need to send back with the forms the bar coded cover sheets that NVC will send you when you have paid their fees.
And you can't pay the fees til NVC sends you the bill.
And whatever the bills are, that is what they are. And whenever NVC sends them, that is when they send them.
So you are just waiting to respond to NVC's actions.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am going through this also right now.
Filed I-130 back in Nov 06, was approved March 5th 07. Then passed to NVC,they sent letter wanting Affidavit of support fee April 17th 07.They do it all backwards ,wanting the fee and then having to wait couple of weeks before they tell you to download and mail the form in.Didnt get letter about the forms until May 11th. May 29th they wanted the Visa fee $380.
Then June 23rd letter saying we could send in the actual Visa and Alien registration form . I called last week and the case was completed July 11th and they say to allow 8 weeks for more instructions. This was automated .
I called and talked to operator who said it should be forwarded to England in the next 2 - 4 weeks.
So we will see how accurate that is, soon enough .
Then it will depend on how slow the Embassy is in the summer months.
Hope this gives you some kind of insight. But everyone's timeline can be different of course.

Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

I recently received the I-864 bill for my mom but havent received it for my dad, although their automated system says that they sent it together on Aug 6. My question is, should I wait for my dads I-864 bill to arrive before I send the payments or can I go ahead and send the payment for my moms I-864 bill ? Also, I believe I read in the instructions that I only need to send one payment ($70) if I am filing a separate I-864 for each parents, is this correct? Should I mention/write both their case numbers in a note with the payment saying the money order is for both parents ? This appears to be different than what was mentioned in of the posts above, so I am curious.

Also, what are the correspondences that NVC actually sends to the beneficiaries address abroad again, other than the DS2032 form? It appears from one of the posts above that I can fill out the actual Visa and Alien registration form for my parents and send from here in the US?

Last edited by khai ko; Aug 18th 2007 at 4:28 pm. Reason: clarity
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

I recently received the I-864 bill for my mom but havent received it for my dad, although their automated system says that they sent it together on Aug 6. My question is, should I wait for my dads I-864 bill to arrive before I send the payments or can I go ahead and send the payment for my moms I-864 bill ? Also, I believe I read in the instructions that I only need to send one payment ($70) if I am filing a separate I-864 for each parents, is this correct? Should I mention/write both their case numbers in a note with the payment saying the money order is for both parents ? This appears to be different than what was mentioned in of the posts above, so I am curious.

Also, what are the correspondences that NVC actually sends to the beneficiaries address abroad again, other than the DS2032 form? It appears from one of the posts above that I can fill out the actual Visa and Alien registration form for my parents and send from here in the US?
Hi,
My Mum did get her dates quite quickly. She has her Medical on Monday 20th and the Visa interview on the 28th.So we are hoping she will be here by end of Sept.It took 10 months from first filing to visa date.
Sorry I really dont know what to tell you about sending your Mums payment or waiting for your Dads. I would call them and check .
I did fill out the actual Visa form ,but Mum had to sign it ,so I sent that to England and she mailed it back.I did that in advance so I would be ready for when they asked for it. Just didnt sign it until I knew .
She didnt have anything more from the NVC. When she got the Embassy letter, she had to again fill in the visa form for them. I have no idea why as they must have it all in the file that was sent from here.

Hope it all turns out fine.
Take care.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks unicorndreams/farmerwife..your replies have been very helpful.

I sent in money order for the affidavit of support fee bill last week. Hopefully they've received it by now. I only sent in one fee though as I believe the instructions said one fee should be sufficient if US citizen is filing two separate I-864 for his parents. I assume I will be asked to file two separate I-864s.

So in both of your cases, the only correspondence NVC sent to England, other than the DS2032 form, was the actual alien visa registration applications? (Just trying to confirm this). And the instructions for medical exam, visa interview time and date etc. were included in this package?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Oh, and some more questions:

In the DS3032 form, if the overseas beneficiary selects the 2nd option (i.e. does not wish to appoint and agent or attorney to receive mail about his application and chooses to receive all mails from NVC at his own address overseas), where will NVC send the Immigran Visa bill? to the beneficiary overseas or the US citizen petitioner's US address?

I would prefer that the IV bill come to me, the US petitioner. If the bill gets sent to the beneficiary overseas, can the US citizen petitioner still send the fee/check from his US bank? and is there a barcode letter in that bill that needs to be returned to NVC with the payment?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

I sent in money order for the affidavit of support fee bill last week. Hopefully they've received it by now. I only sent in one fee though as I believe the instructions said one fee should be sufficient if US citizen is filing two separate I-864 for his parents. I assume I will be asked to file two separate I-864s.

So in both of your cases, the only correspondence NVC sent to England, other than the DS2032 form, was the actual alien visa registration applications? (Just trying to confirm this). And the instructions for medical exam, visa interview time and date etc. were included in this package?

Thanks again.
I don't know *exactly" what NVC mails to the Embassy.
But the Embassy will send parents instructions for medical exam and interview appointment.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

In the DS3032 form, if the overseas beneficiary selects the 2nd option (i.e. does not wish to appoint and agent or attorney to receive mail about his application and chooses to receive all mails from NVC at his own address overseas), where will NVC send the Immigran Visa bill? to the beneficiary overseas or the US citizen petitioner's US address?

I would prefer that the IV bill come to me, the US petitioner. If the bill gets sent to the beneficiary overseas, can the US citizen petitioner still send the fee/check from his US bank? and is there a barcode letter in that bill that needs to be returned to NVC with the payment?
The Immigrant Visa bill will go to the agent selected, which could be you, the US petitioner, if they select you.
You will get then receive the IV bill, and there will be a barcode letter to be returned with the fee.

Last edited by farmerwife; Aug 29th 2007 at 3:26 pm. Reason: sp, cleared up muddly post
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The point in selecting an agent in the US is so that the mail from the NVC gets to a person faster/more reliably.
There is the IV fee bill, the IV application, the I-864 fee bill and the I-864 itself.
All these mailings have barcoded cover letters that need to be returned to the NVC.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again.
Mum also had to fill out her own Alien form that came from the Embassy.Dont know why, since they already had one at NVC that must have been passed over. Also the medical and interview date come from Embassy not NVC.
I would advise you to be the agent ,then it will all come to you to be paid and then the file passed to London when complete. Least no hassle with cheques and missing mail across the Atlantic then.
Mum went to the Embassy yesterday. And received her passport back this morning with the Visa in it. So all set to go now. She was very relieved.
The guy had told her we did a good job as not many get through first time. For what ever reason i dont know.
Good Luck with your journey.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that if the petitioner in the US is selected as the agent in DS3032 forms, NVC will send the I-864 fee bill, I-864 package and the IV fee bill to the agent. But in that case who will they send the DS-230 (application for immigrant visa and alien registration) form to? the US petitioner or the overseas beneficiary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.