Applying for SSN

Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all
Default Applying for SSN

Hi,

I came in to the USA with my L1 on Mar 9 and stayed until Mar 13. I have now arrived for my permanent move with family and arrived on mar 29.

I've been told by my relocation agent that when I apply for my SSN, they need an I-94 that is at shows I have been in the country for 10 consecutive working days. So she's saying my first trip on the L1 wouldn't start the process off and only the second trip is valid and I can only apply after Apr 13.

I really want the SSN asap. Did anyone hear of this 10 day requirement? Is it something the SSN office ask for?

Also can my spouse and child apply for the SSN now? They need it to be registered for health care

Thanks

Last edited by ITsWhatIDo; Apr 7th 2009 at 6:06 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for SSN

Something might have been lost in translation...

It's usually recommended that you wait about 10 days after entering the US before going to the SS office because it takes several days to get the information from the POE into the SS system. It used to be that if you weren't in the system, SS would send a snail-mail request for a status update, and that could take a long time.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Something might have been lost in translation...

It's usually recommended that you wait about 10 days after entering the US before going to the SS office because it takes several days to get the information from the POE into the SS system. It used to be that if you weren't in the system, SS would send a snail-mail request for a status update, and that could take a long time.
As Bill says .. but go now and try ....
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:23 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if you entered the first time on the L1 visa - then about 10 days after that entry you would have been on the 'systems' and the ssn application could have been started on the spot. Go now as you must be on the system by now. go for wife and kids once they have been enetered as l2's and about 10 days have passed.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ITsWhatIDo

Also can my spouse and child apply for the SSN now? They need it to be registered for health care

Thanks
Just to add, assuming you are registering them for health insurance through your employer group policy, you should be able to add your wife and child to the policy using a 'dummy' SSN (i.e. 000-00-0000) until they can apply for their actual ones.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

Thank you for the replies.

I will try and do mine sooner, the worst that can happen is that they say no!

On the form, question 3 asks for about citizenship and for my Wife/Chile I presume I tick "Legal Alien Not allowed to work".

The instructions then state I need to provide a document from a US agency to explain why they need an SSN. What do I have to provide with their application?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies.

I will try and do mine sooner, the worst that can happen is that they say no!

On the form, question 3 asks for about citizenship and for my Wife/Chile I presume I tick "Legal Alien Not allowed to work".

The instructions then state I need to provide a document from a US agency to explain why they need an SSN. What do I have to provide with their application?

Thanks again.
Maybe a copy of the health insurance form requesting a SSN? That's not a US agency...but maybe that's what they want to see....couldn't hurt to bring it along, I guess.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203600
this implies you out 'N' against legal alien allowed to work for L2's.

I cant say that I remember taking anything in to prove i wanted an ssn. By law i was entitled to one as an L2 holder - so i just filled in the form and got one (this was in Oct 07)
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:59 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MsElui
https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203600
this implies you out 'N' against legal alien allowed to work for L2's.

I cant say that I remember taking anything in to prove i wanted an ssn. By law i was entitled to one as an L2 holder - so i just filled in the form and got one (this was in Oct 07)
Ditto - April 2008
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

I went in today, waitied an hour, handed over my form and passport and got a receipt back. I presume if you're not in the system, they would have said?

I will go in first thing tomorrow morning to get my SSN.

Thank you to all fo ryour help and advice.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I went in today, waitied an hour, handed over my form and passport and got a receipt back. I presume if you're not in the system, they would have said?
Yes.

I will go in first thing tomorrow morning to get my SSN.
You mean just to get the number, right? The actual card comes in the mail in about 2 weeks.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Went in this morning and got my number. I can't believe I was waiting around for no reason!!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

You got your number, but you will need to wait a couple of weeks for the card to turn up in the mail.
Have you applied for your wifes number also? As after 90 days you can apply for an EAD which will allow her to look for a job.
Your children by the way will not get SSN rather a ITIN.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

doh - yes your right vimto. The ITINs are applied for at the time of the tax return (form is sent in at same time). So kids may be without ITINS until next year. Fill out the ITIN form and supply required evidence meticulously as we had ours rejected twice (when completed by accountants) before I completed it and it was successful.

but as soon as wifey has been here 10 days or so - get her to the ssn office!