Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for Naturalization but Green Card expiring

Applying for Naturalization but Green Card expiring

Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice
Default Re: Applying for Naturalization but Green Card expiring

After submitting my I-90 online, I just received this email (below) from USCIS. It seems to totally contradict the info. they have on their website, which said that supporting documentation etc. should be presented at the Biometrics appointment.

I'm inclined to just wait now until I get that appointment, and take proof of identity, my existing Green Card etc, along to that appointment.

Anyone know if that's the right course of action?
Thanks
Richard

Dear USCIS e-Filing I-90 Applicant,

Our records show that you recently submitted to USCIS a form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, using the USCIS e-Filing System. USCIS has recently changed its process for the submission of I-90 supporting documentation.

In order to follow the most recent USCIS process, please mail all initial evidence and supporting documentation, if needed, for your I-90 application to the following address:

National Benefits Center
Attn: E-filed I-90 Application
P O Box 648012
Lee's Summit, MO 64002

If applicable, please submit all supporting documentation as soon as possible to prevent delays in processing your application. Attach a copy of your e-Filing I-90 Confirmation Receipt as a cover page for the supporting documentation you are submitting.

You will receive a notice to appear at an Application Support Center to have your biometrics taken, if your name has changed since the issuance of your Permanent Resident Card, then you must bring evidence to support the name change (e.g., birth certificate, marriage certificate, applicable court document, etc.) at the time of your appointment.

Please note that this change in process only affects your e-Filed I-90 application. If you have any other applications or petitions submitted to USCIS, please follow the instructions specific to the application or petition. These instructions are also available on the USCIS website, located at http://www.uscis.gov (select "Electronic Filing", then "Form-Specific E-Filing Instructions", and then select the applicable form).

Thank you,
e-Filing Support Team
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Aha - I just figured out that you're in Encinitas
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice

I had my Biometrics appointment today, and they went ahead (without me asking) and extended my green card by a year. They stuck a very official sticker on the film on the back of the card.
So that's great... I won't need an I-551 temporary stamp in my passport, as the renewed green card will come through well within that 12 month period.
Thanks again for all the advice on here!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

Hi

I just want to add that i forgot my GC in CAlifornia when i was england for a two weeks hol. As i was getting ready to leave i could not find my GC but decided to go ahead and get to heathrow - I managed to get my friend to post a copy of my approval letter for the GReen card and printed it out. Well I actually did board the plane at heathrow after an 10 min interview and half an hour of checking me out by a US security person. When I arrived at the other end they checked me out again and then let me through. However, i don't that kind of experience again!!!

julia
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard92024
I had my Biometrics appointment today, and they went ahead (without me asking) and extended my green card by a year. They stuck a very official sticker on the film on the back of the card.
I'm a little confused... I thought you went to an ASC for your biometrics. I wasn't aware that they had the authority to extend your GC for a year with a fancy sticker.

Ian
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ian,
Ah, the "Sanctimonious Prick" who replied to my other posting!
(http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643155)

Yes, it was at my ASC biometrics appointment that they applied the fancy sticker... an unexpected surprise...

(I went to the USCIS in San Marcos, CA)

Cheers!
Richard
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

hollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Richard92024

Yes, it was at my ASC biometrics appointment that they applied the fancy sticker... an unexpected surprise...
I'm pretty surprised. I also didn't think they could do this and at my ASC office in Los Angeles they said this wasn't an option. What does the sticker look like and say?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Default New Green Card arrived :)

My new Green Card arrived today, valid for another 10 years.
Excellent... and pretty easy, thankfully
Thanks for all those who helped on this forum
R