Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for J-1 Visa for different institutions in the US

Wikiposts

Applying for J-1 Visa for different institutions in the US

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 10:16 pm
Marc Rohlfing

Default Applying for J-1 Visa for different institutions in the US

Hello,

my wife and I are currently in the process of collecting all necessary paperwork for
a 2-year stay in the US. The problem is, that my wife's research project will be
conducted at 3 different Universities, and we would like to apply for J-visa for the
whole 2 years at once (not to make a complicated renewal / new application
necessary). Unfortunately nobody can tell us, whether we need the IAP-66 forms from
every one of these institutions at once (especially because the 'later' Universities
are reluctant to provide forms for 2004 already). Is it possible to apply for J-Visa
for 2 years with only an IAP-66 valid for the first 8 months (till June 2003) and
some proof of the later Universities?

Has anybody had similar experiences, and how did you go about that?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Old Sep 4th 2002, 8:51 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Default Re: Applying for J-1 Visa for different institutions in the US

"Marc Rohlfing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] m...

> my wife and I are currently in the process of collecting all necessary paperwork
    > for a 2-year stay in the US. The problem is, that my wife's research project will
    > be conducted at 3 different Universities, and we would like to apply for J-visa for
    > the whole 2 years at once (not to make a complicated renewal / new application
    > necessary). Unfortunately nobody can tell us, whether we need the IAP-66 forms from
    > every one of these institutions at once (especially because the 'later'
    > Universities are reluctant to provide forms for 2004 already). Is it possible to
    > apply for J-Visa for 2 years with only an IAP-66 valid for the first 8 months (till
    > June 2003) and some proof of the later Universities?
    > Has anybody had similar experiences, and how did you go about that?

It depends on your country, not on the length of the IAP-66 periods of time. See [ur-
l="http://travel.state.gov/reciprocity/index.htm"]http://travel.state.gov/reciprocit-
y/index.htm[/url]. If you are from Denmark, you will probably get a 60-month J-1
visa anyway, even if she presents an 8 month IAP-66. By all means, take along all
your evidence. The other schools will probably not issue the IAP-66s earlier than
about 90 days before the start date of their part of the program.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 8:17 pm
Marc Rohlfing

> It depends on your country, not on the length of the IAP-66 periods of time. See
    > http://travel.state.gov/recip-
    > rocity/index.htm
    . If you are from Denmark, you will probably get a 60-month
    > J-1 visa anyway, even if she presents an 8 month IAP-66. By all means, take along
    > all your evidence. The other schools will probably not issue the IAP-66s earlier
    > than about 90 days before the start date of their part of the program.

thanks for the info - unfortunately we're not from Denmark ;-) So it looks like we'll
have to extend our visa while in the US (and will definitely take all forms with us
we ever got ...), but at least it doesn't seem to be as complicated as we feared
(having to go back and everything).

So long

Marc

Old Sep 11th 2002, 12:30 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

"Marc Rohlfing" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] m...

> > It depends on your country, not on the length of the IAP-66 periods of
time.
    > > See http://travel.state.gov-
    > > /reciprocity/index.htm
    . If you are from
Denmark,
    > > you will probably get a 60-month J-1 visa anyway, even if she presents
an 8
    > > month IAP-66. By all means, take along all your evidence. The other schools
    > > will probably not issue the IAP-66s earlier than about 90 days before the start
    > > date of their part of the program.
    > thanks for the info - unfortunately we're not from Denmark ;-) So it looks like
    > we'll have to extend our visa while in the US (and will definitely take all forms
    > with us we ever got ...), but at least it doesn't seem to be as complicated as we
    > feared (having to go back and everything).

Just to clarify: when you enter the U.S., you will obtain an I-94 endorsed "J-1 D/S"
(meaning "duration of status"). This will authorize your stay in J-1 status until
the end date on the IAP-66 (now the DS 2019). *Before* the end date indicated on the
IAP-66, you must cause a transfer of J program to take place. Another IAP-66 will be
issued by your next employer, and the first employer must "sign off" on it to
complete the transfer. You cannot transfer during the grace period, the 30 day
period after the end date on the IAP-66 during which you are allowed to be in the
U.S. but not to be employed.

The reason I'm saying this is that you said "extend our visa." You will not be
extending a visa. (You may in fact have in your passport a visa valid for 5 years,
or you may have a visa valid for 3 months.)

You will be transferring and extending your **status**. Once you are in the U.S.,
the visa is irrelevant. The status is all-important.