Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship within the next few days….

Applying for Citizenship within the next few days….

Old Jan 1st 2023, 9:16 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Applying for Citizenship within the next few days….

…..I figure I may as well; my GC will need to be renewed this august so now is as good a time as any.
It’s been a really long time (blissfully so); since I’ve had to think about anything immigration related; but I was wondering once my application has been filed; will I be able to leave the USA? Planning a trip to Cancun in the summer, so I’m wondering if it will be ok to leave if my GC has either expired or is close to expiring? I’d rather not have the expense of renewing the GC and filing for naturalization at the same time! Of course they may process my application quickly; in which case none of this will matter. Thanks!
Old Jan 1st 2023, 10:53 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship within the next few days….

Originally Posted by Meryl
…..I figure I may as well; my GC will need to be renewed this august so now is as good a time as any.
It’s been a really long time (blissfully so); since I’ve had to think about anything immigration related; but I was wondering once my application has been filed; will I be able to leave the USA? Planning a trip to Cancun in the summer, so I’m wondering if it will be ok to leave if my GC has either expired or is close to expiring? I’d rather not have the expense of renewing the GC and filing for naturalization at the same time! Of course they may process my application quickly; in which case none of this will matter. Thanks!

I traveled while mine was pending without issue. you may have to do biometrics (I did pre CV19) which will mean you need to visit and office. My green card was still valid throughout the whole process.

Assuming you are not close on presence in the US says make sure you keep an accurate record of all travel after you submit the form, they will add this at your interview.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 10:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can leave, but you can't get back in if your green card is completely expired. You would need to go to the immigration office in person to get an I-551 stamp in your passport before leaving, if that's what happens.

Rene
Old Jan 1st 2023, 11:07 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can leave, but you can't get back in if your green card is completely expired. You would need to go to the immigration office in person to get an I-551 stamp in your passport before leaving, if that's what happens.

Rene
I was hoping that I would be considered AOS since my naturalization was pending…..I’m glad I checked, that could have been awkward 😳
Old Jan 1st 2023, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a very recent change to the procedure when you apply for naturalization, see here: https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alert...ion-applicants

Basically for people who file for naturalization on or after December 12th the notice of action will extend the expiration date on their green card for 2 years so you'll be able to travel with your green card + the extension letter.
Old Jan 1st 2023, 11:33 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by Olly_
There has been a very recent change to the procedure when you apply for naturalization, see here: https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alert...ion-applicants

Basically for people who file for naturalization on or after December 12th the notice of action will extend the expiration date on their green card for 2 years so you'll be able to travel with your green card + the extension letter.
sweet! That’s music to my ears!!! I was willing to pay both filing fees if I really had to but if I don’t have to then all the better!!!
Old Jan 1st 2023, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, no need to file and pay for I-90 now - a positive change!

You might be a citizen before your GC expires anyway (depending on how busy your local office is) - I filed in mid October and have my interview at the end of the month...!
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 12:10 am
Dallas

Originally Posted by Olly_
Yes, no need to file and pay for I-90 now - a positive change!

You might be a citizen before your GC expires anyway (depending on how busy your local office is) - I filed in mid October and have my interview at the end of the month...!
congratulations!