Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Apply to remove GC conditions, then travel

Wikiposts

Apply to remove GC conditions, then travel

Old Jun 27th 2018, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apply to remove GC conditions, then travel

My conditional GC expires ~November (specifics with held) and I intend to apply to remove in ~August. Once I apply, do I have to mail off my current GC? We would like to travel to Italy in September and would therefore req. my GC in tow.

H
Old Jun 27th 2018, 11:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply to remove GC conditions, then travel

No you don't
Old Jun 27th 2018, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
No you don't
Tx!
Old Jun 28th 2018, 12:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When you have applied for the removal of conditions via form I-751 you will receive a notice from USCIS proving that your green card status and privileges have been extended for one year from the date it expires while you wait for adjudication of the I-751. Since this petition takes up to a year or more to adjudicate, you might need to get an I-551 in your passport just before the extension expires. Since your green card is based on marriage to a US Citizen, you will become eligible to petition for naturalization before the extension notice expires. (90 days before the third anniversary of your residency but a full 3 years of marriage to the same US Citizen). This act usually prompts a quicker adjudication of the I-751 as it must be done before the N-400 can be approved.

When traveling, be sure to carry the expired green card and the paper extension. Make copies to be kept in a safe place in case they are lost or stolen or damaged.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 5:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are filing the I-751 in August, you could be faced with a biometrics appointment in September. You might want to postpone filing the I-751 until you return from Italy, assuming that is still within the 90-day filing window.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2018, 9:02 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
When you have applied for the removal of conditions via form I-751 you will receive a notice from USCIS proving that your green card status and privileges have been extended for one year from the date it expires while you wait for adjudication of the I-751. Since this petition takes up to a year or more to adjudicate, you might need to get an I-551 in your passport just before the extension expires. Since your green card is based on marriage to a US Citizen, you will become eligible to petition for naturalization before the extension notice expires. (90 days before the third anniversary of your residency but a full 3 years of marriage to the same US Citizen). This act usually prompts a quicker adjudication of the I-751 as it must be done before the N-400 can be approved.

When traveling, be sure to carry the expired green card and the paper extension. Make copies to be kept in a safe place in case they are lost or stolen or damaged.
Recent change - the extension period is now 18 months.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

When you have applied for the removal of conditions via form I-751 you will receive a notice...

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Recent change - the extension period is now 18 months.
I am going to hope that the 'paper extension' is nothing more than the I-797c that is sent in receipt of I-751 and which doubles up as a biometrics appointment notice and is then date stamped once you attend the biometrics appointment, 17th November 2017 in my case. The reason I'm hoping is because I have had no other paperwork from USCIS and there is absolutely no mention of extensions on this I-797c...
Old Jun 28th 2018, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're hoping correctly.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute

Just FYI - I filed my I751 in February and got a letter in late May/early June that said I would not need new biometrics but they would still keep the $85 biometrics fee (of course). Not sure how standard this is, but you might not have to re-do biometrics.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ellie_gbr
Just FYI - I filed my I751 in February and got a letter in late May/early June that said I would not need new biometrics but they would still keep the $85 biometrics fee (of course). Not sure how standard this is, but you might not have to re-do biometrics.
Thank you, and everyone!

I heard on Facebook (groan) that someone was asked for their extension letter, with a current GC that was about to expire. No more details were given. Even if 1 day is left on my conditional GC, I can still re-enter, correct?
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 3:05 am
Concierge

You can enter the US with your EXPIRED green card and your valid extension letter.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can enter the US with your EXPIRED green card and your valid extension letter.
How about if I try and enter with two months left, having not yet applied for the removal of conditions (aka no extension letter), some other posts on other mediums were suggesting this could be a problem. Is this false?
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 11:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
How about if I try and enter with two months left, having not yet applied for the removal of conditions (aka no extension letter), some other posts on other mediums were suggesting this could be a problem. Is this false?
this should not be a problem. Your unexpired green card is valid for travel right up until the day it expires.

Rene
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 3:00 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
If you are really doubtful about the validity of the extension to allow you to return to the US after having applied for removal of conditions and with an expired green card, I feel that you should have a one time appointment with an immigration attorney. In the 20 years I've been around US immigration, have never heard of anyone refused re-entry with an expired green card and an extension letter.

Does it happen, most likely but then you have to know the full reasons why they're refused. A criminal history, an irregularity their status, etc.

An appointment with an immigration professional seems to be the best way for you to go for your own peace of mind.