Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Application Rejected...Pretty Much Good News!

Wikiposts

Application Rejected...Pretty Much Good News!

Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

forts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Application Rejected...Pretty Much Good News!

I Fedex'ed my application out last week, and was rushed as I was putting the papers together in the envelope as Fedex was closing, and in my haste I forgot to put the bloody checks in the envelope - they somehow they escaped my checklist. Boy did I feel really, REALLY, stupid.

It was sent to the express delivery Lockbox address and was delivered the next day, the Thursday before last. When I realized it shortly after leaving the store, I put together the checks and a clear letter of explanation in a packet with "Urgent" all over it and "Open Immediately [or attach to shipment X delivered yesterday]".

That didn't happen.

Instead, on Friday, only one week and a day from delivery, I have a rejection notice in my mailbox with all of my forms, and my evidence was returned as well, with clear instructions for all three applications (I-130, I-485, I-765,) to resubmit with the proper fee (which was actually clearly described specific to my case - and, while likely totally meaningless, the forms were all initialed on each page, seemingly gone over with a glance, and there were no other notes of any kind.)

Ok, why is this good news?

A) I don't have to worry about it and what could happen over a potential long period of time. I will just resubmit it tomorrow and know that it was filed properly.
(I can also look through all the evidence/certificates/etc that were attached according to my otherwise thorough checklist and know that everything is there yet be able to take another look. Further genuine marriage documentation wouldn't hurt and I have plenty.)

B) The first steps of the process seem to be occurring quite quickly.

So, tomorrow, I will resubmit and my mind will be at ease....well, as much as it can be while awaiting immigration approval for my wife!

I am posting this so other people can see my experience with the express/courier delivery office of the Chicago Lockbox. Good luck to all the others whom are waiting!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application Rejected...Pretty Much Good News!

So what are you going to do about the checks you sent to them the next day? Cancel those and write new ones?

Just so others know, it is VERY difficult to get USCIS to match 2 things up to the same file. If this happens to anyone else, just wait until USCIS returns the package and then resend it with the fee included...don't send checks separately.

Same goes if you forget to include a form along with your AOS. Don't sent that form separately, USCIS will never match it up. Just wait for them to tell you what to send...that way they will be expecting your answer.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 21st 2008 at 2:46 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

forts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So what are you going to do about the checks you sent to them the next day? Cancel those and write new ones?
Yes. What else would I do? The ones sent the next day are without any forms or anything of any kind other than matching information and a description of the issue and my request. Resubmission tomorrow will include the information about the other checks should they actually wind up in my new case file when it is founded. But the rejection request to resubmit with fee makes it pretty clear those checks will either be destroyed or returned to me. Perhaps I should have included a postage paid return envelope in case of this situation.

If I knew they would have returned it timely (nevermind THIS timely), I would have waited instead. But having good advice like what was given to others just now, I would have heeded it, had I asked the question (which I should have.) I thought express'ed overnight the next day, surely they would put them together. But I thought wrong - and I thought they would sit in a pile for weeks.

Again, thanks for that contribution Rene.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by forts
But the rejection request to resubmit with fee makes it pretty clear those checks will either be destroyed or returned to me.
I wouldn't make that assumption. Contact your bank immediately and put a stop payment on them. Don't wait for USCIS to "do the right thing".

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For the sake of others:

Marking your envelope "Urgent" "Important" or "Open Immediately" means absolutely nothing to the mailroom at the USCIS. They could care less and once the envelope is opened, it is rarely matched up with a previously sent envelope.

You are one of thousands and have no priority over anyone else sending in an application. Just wait for the RFE, and unless you are close to a deadline, using Fedex or DHL or whatever is not necessary. Certified mail, return receipt requested, is still, IMHO, the best method of sending in your petitions.

Sending it via express mail does not mean it does not sit in a pile. All mail is opened quickly and the pages annotated for completeness and then it sits in a pile until it is allocated to an adjudicated.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 22nd 2008 at 12:31 am.