Forum Regular

ben2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Application for Citizenship

Hi All,

Here's my immigration history:
__________________ _____________________________ ________
DOB: 10/09/1975
Came to the USA: 01/04/2001 (at age 25) on a F-1 Student Visa
Marriage to the USA citizen: 12/15/2002 (at age 27)
Got my marriage-based GreenCard: 02/16/2005 (at age 29)
__________________ _________________________________ ____

On 02/16/2008 my greencard will be 3 year old. As they allow applying 3
months prior to that, I should be able to apply as early as 11/16/2007.

Is that right? Am I missing anything here?

Thanks
Ben
Old May 12th 2007, 7:24 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for Citizenship

Originally Posted by ben2
Hi All,

Here's my immigration history:
__________________ _____________________________ ________
DOB: 10/09/1975
Came to the USA: 01/04/2001 (at age 25) on a F-1 Student Visa
Marriage to the USA citizen: 12/15/2002 (at age 27)
Got my marriage-based GreenCard: 02/16/2005 (at age 29)
__________________ _________________________________ ____

On 02/16/2008 my greencard will be 3 year old. As they allow applying 3
months prior to that, I should be able to apply as early as 11/16/2007.

Is that right? Am I missing anything here?

Thanks
Ben
If your green card is based on your marriage to your wife, wouldn't it only be a conditional card valid only for two years? Or did you already apply for removal of conditions (I-751)? I just want to be sure you didn't miss a step.

As for applying for naturalization based on your marriage to a USC, you are permitted to apply with 90 DAYS (not 3 months) the 3rd anniversary of when you were granted permanent residence. In your case, based on your timeline, that would be 90 days prior to February 16, 2008.

~ Jenney

Last edited by Just Jenney; May 12th 2007 at 7:28 pm.
Old May 12th 2007, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
If your green card is based on your marriage to your wife, wouldn't it only be a conditional card valid only for two years? Or did you already apply for removal of conditions (I-751)? I just want to be sure you didn't miss a step.

As for applying for naturalization based on your marriage to a USC, you are permitted to apply with 90 DAYS (not 3 months) the 3rd anniversary of when you were granted permanent residence. In your case, based on your timeline, that would be 90 days prior to February 16, 2008.

~ Jenney
Yes, I already have permanent green card. So based on your post I assume I should be able to apply around 11/19/2007.

Thanks
Old May 14th 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Sam36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ben2
Yes, I already have permanent green card. So based on your post I assume I should be able to apply around 11/19/2007.

Thanks
Check your GC see when your card expired...............you still didnt answer the question that Jenney & Mark asked you............did you apply for I751 ?

if you didnt you need to do that ASAP.............check your GC is it a 10 years ?
Old May 14th 2007, 4:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam36
Check your GC see when your card expired...............you still didnt answer the question that Jenney & Mark asked you............did you apply for I751 ?

if you didnt you need to do that ASAP.............check your GC is it a 10 years ?
His timeline clearly shows he was married more than two years when his status was adjusted.

Not EVERYone has to file I-751.

OP, your dates 'look' right---find a 'date calculator' online and triple check what your AOS date ('resident since' on your card) minus 90 days is.
It doesn't have to be 90 days on the nose that you submit.. you MAY do it in any of the 90 days preceeding your PR anniversary.
Old May 20th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
His timeline clearly shows he was married more than two years when his status was adjusted.

Not EVERYone has to file I-751.

OP, your dates 'look' right---find a 'date calculator' online and triple check what your AOS date ('resident since' on your card) minus 90 days is.
It doesn't have to be 90 days on the nose that you submit.. you MAY do it in any of the 90 days preceeding your PR anniversary.
Right! I didn't have to apply for 751, when I got my green card my marriage was already more than 2 year old. My GC expires in 2015.

Thanks Jenny and Meauxna