British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   AOS success for tourist overstay and worse (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/aos-success-tourist-overstay-worse-347188/)

utopiacowboy Jan 9th 2006 3:29 pm

AOS success for tourist overstay and worse

A while back in a different thread I had posted about a friend of my wife's who had come here as a tourist and overstayed for several years working illegally. She had entered into a sham marriage and her AOS interview was coming up soon. I was very curious to see if she stepped on a "mine" or managed to pull this off. I wondered how often people like her get by with this or if they get nailed a lot of the time. Well, I think they get away with it most of the time because she now has her green card. Apparently they really didn't go into a lot of detail at her AOS interview so even though she 1) entered as a tourist and 2) worked illegally for several years, all is forgiven if you can find a US citizen to marry you.

fatbrit Jan 9th 2006 3:35 pm

Re: AOS success for tourist overstay and worse

Originally Posted by utopiacowboy
A while back in a different thread I had posted about a friend of my wife's who had come here as a tourist and overstayed for several years working illegally. She had entered into a sham marriage and her AOS interview was coming up soon. I was very curious to see if she stepped on a "mine" or managed to pull this off. I wondered how often people like her get by with this or if they get nailed a lot of the time. Well, I think they get away with it most of the time because she now has her green card. Apparently they really didn't go into a lot of detail at her AOS interview so even though she 1) entered as a tourist and 2) worked illegally for several years, all is forgiven if you can find a US citizen to marry you.

And you believed criminals paid for their crimes? How naive! Just coz John Walsh and CSI always get their man, doesn't mean it's true I'm afraid!

Rete Jan 9th 2006 3:54 pm

Neither 1) nor 2) are grounds for denial of her petition for AOS. Nor is the overstay an issue. What is a grounds for denial is the "sham" marriage. Now if you know this to be true, why didn't you at least try to let USCIS know about this.

nettlebed Jan 9th 2006 4:07 pm

all is forgiven if you can find a US citizen to marry you.

Not true. Murder will not be forgiven, terrorism, association with the Nazi regime, torture, and other things too.

It should be illegal for smartasses and people with bad hair to immigrate as well: the US already has far too many of those...

CarlM Jan 9th 2006 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Not true. Murder will not be forgiven, terrorism, association with the Nazi regime, torture, and other things too.

It should be illegal for smartasses and people with bad hair to immigrate as well: the US already has far too many of those...

Assasinating el Presidente is apparently frowned upon too..

nettlebed Jan 9th 2006 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Assasinating el Presidente is apparently frowned upon too..

Especially - even if only briefly - by el Presidente...

utopiacowboy Jan 9th 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Neither 1) nor 2) are grounds for denial of her petition for AOS. Nor is the overstay an issue. What is a grounds for denial is the "sham" marriage. Now if you know this to be true, why didn't you at least try to let USCIS know about this.

You're right about 1 and 2 but I would have thought that they would have questioned her a little more closely about her adjustment application in view of these circumstances.

JSC Jan 9th 2006 8:23 pm

How does one report someone with knowledge of a "sham" marriage? Do they contact the district office? ICE? What proof do they need to offer?

Originally Posted by Rete

nettlebed Jan 9th 2006 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by JSC
How does one report someone with knowledge of a "sham" marriage? Do they contact the district office? ICE? What proof do they need to offer?

I don't know for sure: in most cases it appears to be people who have no direct interest in the matter, but who have a particular piece of spite digging away at them.

There are a lot of them too...

meauxna Jan 9th 2006 9:45 pm

I don't know for sure: in most cases it appears to be people who have no direct interest in the matter, but who have a particular piece of spite digging away at them.

There are a lot of them too...

hmmm, based on the way the new boss at ICE was selected, it might not matter who you call there:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3567245.html
"I am sure she is a bright and talented young woman"

zero029 Jan 9th 2006 10:31 pm

Shameful conduct, defrauding the United States, that's what they did. Imagine if the government didn't have the 2-year rule related to bona fide marriages. USCIS should double the time on this rule, requiring a 4-year marriage before considering it bona fide!

nettlebed Jan 10th 2006 1:25 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
hmmm, based on the way the new boss at ICE was selected, it might not matter who you call there:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3567245.html
"I am sure she is a bright and talented young woman"

Ah, yes, I remember seeing that at CronyJobs:

http://www.cronyjobs.com/

nettlebed Jan 10th 2006 1:28 am

Originally Posted by zero029
Shameful conduct, defrauding the United States, that's what they did. Imagine if the government didn't have the 2-year rule related to bona fide marriages. USCIS should double the time on this rule, requiring a 4-year marriage before considering it bona fide!

OK Snitchy, call your senator and ask him/her/it to write some legislation. That's the correct way to do it...

Hypertweeky Jan 10th 2006 1:28 am

Hey you:), nice to see you around here!!

Don't forget the acting classes!! That must have cost her a fortune.
That's plain sad.. People like her make things HARDER for us.. but oh well what can we do??

meauxna Jan 10th 2006 2:27 am

Ah, yes, I remember seeing that at CronyJobs:

http://www.cronyjobs.com/

LMAO, *that* is cute.

I've just been scanning a couple of stories.. this quote is too precious to pass up:

ICE official who asked to remain anonymous

The official said ICE is so dysfunctional that it does not matter who is in charge of the agency.

"The issue here is not about Myers," the official said. "My position is that Jesus Christ could not fix this place under the current structure."

Invoking The Lord was an added bonus <g>