AOS from L-2 following Divorce

Old Jun 21st 2019, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS from L-2 following Divorce

Hi everyone!
I originally found, researched and posted on this site back in 2015 and 2016 as I was preparing to move to the US on an L2 Visa. A lot has happened in the last 3 years, but the part relevant here is that I got divorced from my UK L1 spouse and have just today received my Green Card as a result of marriage to my US wife!

I’m just going to share a timeline of the main events as this all happened a lot faster than I expected. FYI I live in Pittsburgh.

June 2018 - Divorce decree received for marriage with L1 Spouse.
September 2018 - married US wife
Dec 2018 - filed AOS, affidavit of support and work authorization request.
Jan 2019 - Had Biometrics appointment
June 2019 - GC Interview and received card 1 week later.

Other things to note here that may help others if they find themselves in this situation.

My EAD received as an L2 was valid until March 2019. I continued to work at the same company following my divorce. I did not tell them, they did not ask. I resigned in late Jan 2019 before I needed to provide a new EAD.

I since drove for Lyft and Uber as they do not even ask about work authorization in the US.

On my I-485 I ticked yes to two of the questions. 1. Have you ever worked in the US without authorization and 2. Have you ever overstayed if violated the conditions of a visa.

As I was married to a US citizen, neither of these are grounds for not being granted a Green Card.

Its been a wild journey and although I knew all should be ok in the end, it’s not until that little card arrived in the mail today that I have felt such a huge sense of relief! And now I can look forward to taking my wife to the motherland!