Wikiposts

AOS Interview Success

Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Interview Success

My wife sent in the application in late April and received a receipt date for May 5th. On June 14th we received the interview date for today July 21st. Yes it was only 3 months from the time we sent the application to the interview. (I will explain the story that my lawyer told me today about why it was processed so fast even though I find it highly unlikely)

The interview was for 1:15 at the Federal Plaza in New York. We got there at 12:15 and waited over 3 hours before we were called. My wife's kids were with us and officer asked us at the door before we went in who the kids belonged to and once my wife said they were her kids they let us all in.

The lady started off real strict. She asked for photos and we brought only 6. She said this is all have with you. We said yes thinking that should be enough even I did see people have full photo albums outside in the waiting room.

The lady asked a lot of questions the first 5 minutes to make sure we knew each other. Some questions which I should have known I didn't. For example even though I know my wife almost 7 years I just met her mother and I call her Mom now but I didn't know her first name which at first didn't sit well with the officer. The fact that I just met her mother also didn't sit well with the officer. She questioned my wife about where I worked, how many times I am paid a month and how much which my wife knew all this information.

She asked where we were married and if any of my family was present. The answers were Turkey and no. She asked why we were married in Turkey and we explained how we planned on getting married in the US but my wife didn't realize her old green card was not valid anymore thus we had to go the K3 Visa route.

She asked did we keep in contact while my wife was in Turkey and she was told every single day via the phone. The officer questioned me if I knew my wife's ex-husband name and when they were divorced. I answered these questions without a problem.

She reviewed my tax returns, paystubs and deed to my home. All these documents have my wife's and my name on it. This is the point when I started to feel comfortable because I think this is the point when the officer felt comfortable with us. At this point she said you did have a previous card and that you lived most of your life in the US. My wife answered yes. The lady giggled and showed my wife her picture from over 26 years ago when she got her original green card as a 3 month year old baby. I knew at this point everything was good.

The lady asked for copies of everything ranging from my birth certificate, kids birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce decree and passports. This was of course after showing her the originals. She asked the kids what their names were at the beginning of the interview. One more question she had asked early on was if the kids were in school which my wife answered yes. She proceeded to then ask me what school they were in which I said I don't know but the school is right up the block. I got a little defensive at this point as she asked if I take them to school and I answered my wife takes them to school as I go to work everyday. She asked my wife who I work for and what my title was which she answered.

All in all I should have known the answers to the two questions that I didn't know. I would give this officer an A+ as she asked real good questions to make sure we were legitimate and took into account all of the facts regarding our documentation. I could see another officer turning us down as I am 29 and my wife is 27 but we both look younger than that so if I was on the other side of the table I would ask the same questions and review the information closely as well.

The whole interview was about 20 minutes. She told us that my wife would be receiving a conditional green card in 1 to 2 months but that she offically has the green card approval as of today. She stamped her passport which now says Adjusted and described to us both verbally and via writing what we have to do in 2 years in remove the conditions from her green card. She said the green card is conditional because we had been married less than 2 years.

We said thank you the lady who at this was smiling and really gave the feeling that she was happy for us.

Getting back to my lawyer. After we were approved we called him and told him. Even though he probably should have told us to expect some of these questions he didn't. Any way he said that the reason that we got the interview so fast is because they have a pilot program which we were slected into where they are processing application (AOS) in 3 months if the paperwork is prepared by a lawyer and looks in proper order. I will leave to the forum to post what everyone else thinks. I think we were just lucky but who knows.

I have one question for anyone who made it this far in the post when can my wife apply for citizenship is three years from today or three years from the time the green card is not conditional anymore which is a total 5 years from now?
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:04 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview Success

Originally posted by tmushen
She said the green card is conditional because we had been married less than 2 years.
Hey, long time no read (I don't post here too often lately). Just wanted to say congratulations.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:05 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

My wife sent in the application in late April and received a receipt date for May 5th. On June 14th we received the interview date for today July 21st. Yes it was only 3 months from the time we sent the application to the interview. (I will explain the story that my lawyer told me today about why it was processed so fast even though I find it highly unlikely)

The interview was for 1:15 at the Federal Plaza in New York. We got there at 12:15 and waited over 3 hours before we were called. My wife's kids were with us and officer asked us at the door before we went in who the kids belonged to and once my wife said they were her kids they let us all in.

The lady started off real strict. She asked for photos and we brought only 6. She said this is all have with you. We said yes thinking that should be enough even I did see people have full photo albums outside in the waiting room.

The lady asked a lot of questions the first 5 minutes to make sure we knew each other. Some questions which I should have known I didn't. For example even though I know my wife almost 7 years I just met her mother and I call her Mom now but I didn't know her first name which at first didn't sit well with the officer. The fact that I just met her mother also didn't sit well with the officer. She questioned my wife about where I worked, how many times I am paid a month and how much which my wife knew all this information.

She asked where we were married and if any of my family was present. The answers were Turkey and no. She asked why we were married in Turkey and we explained how we planned on getting married in the US but my wife didn't realize her old green card was not valid anymore thus we had to go the K3 Visa route.

She asked did we keep in contact while my wife was in Turkey and she was told every single day via the phone. The officer questioned me if I knew my wife's ex-husband name and when they were divorced. I answered these questions without a problem.

She reviewed my tax returns, paystubs and deed to my home. All these documents have my wife's and my name on it. This is the point when I started to feel comfortable because I think this is the point when the officer felt comfortable with us. At this point she said you did have a previous card and that you lived most of your life in the US. My wife answered yes. The lady giggled and showed my wife her picture from over 26 years ago when she got her original green card as a 3 month year old baby. I knew at this point everything was good.

The lady asked for copies of everything ranging from my birth certificate, kids birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce decree and passports. This was of course after showing her the originals. She asked the kids what their names were at the beginning of the interview. One more question she had asked early on was if the kids were in school which my wife answered yes. She proceeded to then ask me what school they were in which I said I don't know but the school is right up the block. I got a little defensive at this point as she asked if I take them to school and I answered my wife takes them to school as I go to work everyday. She asked my wife who I work for and what my title was which she answered.

All in all I should have known the answers to the two questions that I didn't know. I would give this officer an A+ as she asked real good questions to make sure we were legitimate and took into account all of the facts regarding our documentation. I could see another officer turning us down as I am 29 and my wife is 27 but we both look younger than that so if I was on the other side of the table I would ask the same questions and review the information closely as well.

The whole interview was about 20 minutes. She told us that my wife would be receiving a conditional green card in 1 to 2 months but that she offically has the green card approval as of today. She stamped her passport which now says Adjusted and described to us both verbally and via writing what we have to do in 2 years in remove the conditions from her green card. She said the green card is conditional because we had been married less than 2 years.

We said thank you the lady who at this was smiling and really gave the feeling that she was happy for us.

Getting back to my lawyer. After we were approved we called him and told him. Even though he probably should have told us to expect some of these questions he didn't. Any way he said that the reason that we got the interview so fast is because they have a pilot program which we were slected into where they are processing application (AOS) in 3 months if the paperwork is prepared by a lawyer and looks in proper order. I will leave to the forum to post what everyone else thinks. I think we were just lucky but who knows.

I have one question for anyone who made it this far in the post when can my wife apply for citizenship is three years from today or three years from the time the green card is not conditional anymore which is a total 5 years from now?
Hey Tmushen!!
It is good to see you back!

Woa!! That was so fast!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
:PARTY: :PARTY:
Your wife and you deserved this quick AOS interview.. after all the misery you went thru with the K3 process!

Ps: I think I know your lawyer's reason for having such a fast AOS interview.. but I think it has nothing to do with it, But again It is just my opinion!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:07 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Hey, long time no read (I don't post here too often lately). Just wanted to say congratulations.
May I ask why??, I miss your posts!!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:10 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
May I ask why??, I miss your posts!!
I do most of my posting at VJ. That does not propogate to usenet, a fact that I like. Just a phase I suppose, and I'll continue to post here from time to time. Plus, I've been pretty busy lately.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:13 pm

I do most of my posting at VJ. That does not propogate to usenet, a fact that I like. Just a phase I suppose, and I'll continue to post here from time to time. Plus, I've been pretty busy lately.

But Mathew!! You can't leave!!, I know you said you will post here from time to time.. but it isn't the same, Ok I will shut up now
Why don't you like usenet??
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have been gone myself as we have been real busy as well. We never actually got the chance to have a wedding party which we will be doing in October and list of people just keeps getting bigger. We are at 200 people and with all the other stuff going for the wedding (Video, Pictures, Cake, Music and so on) plus gathering everything for the interview we have been really busy as well. The most important thing is being together is everything we hoped it to be so we don't mind being busy.

I met Tina's mom for the first time last week and everything is going perfectly. I met Tina's whole family and everyone is okay that I am not Muslim. I still have not met Tina's Dad but he has finally accepted it as well and we are all having dinner on Saturday.

I never really got a chance to thank everyone who helped us. Even the people who I disgreed with were a big help. Matt thank you for going back and forth with me in our posts and even taking a phone call to talk to me for over 10 minutes. We appreciate every thing this forum is about!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:22 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
But Mathew!! You can't leave!!, I know you said you will post here from time to time.. but it isn't the same, Ok I will shut up now
Why don't you like usenet??
It's not really that I dislike usenet, however those postings are archived forever and that is something to take into consideration. It's really just a matter of how much time I have each day to volunteer. The archiving issue is really about the only difference, as they have the same problems mentioned in VJ that you guys mention here. Plus, you guys can find my old postings for various issues here, but that's not the case at VJ. Plus, I happen to like Steve, the guy who runs the show over there (but Paul, who runs this site seems to be a great guy too). Also, my bud Folinskyinla posts here and he is doing a great job (plus he does not tend to piss off people like I tend to do :-). They don't have any other attorney (that I know of) giving the behind the scenes info at VJ, although they do have their fair share of attorney haters (what else is new)!

I do have some friends here (Hi Rita, Les, you, too many to list really) and due to that fact, I do check in from time to time.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:29 pm

It's not really that I dislike usenet, however those postings are archived forever and that is something to take into consideration. It's really just a matter of how much time I have each day to volunteer. The archiving issue is really about the only difference, as they have the same problems mentioned in VJ that you guys mention here. Plus, you guys can find my old postings for various issues here, but that's not the case at VJ. Plus, I happen to like Steve, the guy who runs the show over there (but Paul, who runs this site seems to be a great guy too). Also, my bud Folinskyinla posts here and he is doing a great job (plus he does not tend to piss off people like I tend to do :-). They don't have any other attorney (that I know of) giving the behind the scenes info at VJ, although they do have their fair share of attorney haters (what else is new)!

I do have some friends here (Hi Rita, Les, you, too many to list really) and due to that fact, I do check in from time to time.

Did you just call me friend??
It is true that you piss some people off (including me lol).. but it's just because you are honest!!. There is people here that don't like me.. but oh well I can't make them like me!
Be sure to visit us every.. 2 days? is that ok with you?
Take care!!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi T and Tina,

Congrats on a successful interview!! Couple of questions...is your wife's name really on your paystubs (how did you manage that?), and did the officer want to see wedding photos in particular?

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matt!

I was wondering where you've been! You need to stop by more than just once in a while! Your posts have been missed around here (by me, anyway!)

Take Care,
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi T and Tina,

Congrats on a successful interview!! Couple of questions...is your wife's name really on your paystubs (how did you manage that?), and did the officer want to see wedding photos in particular?

Best Wishes!
Rene
My wife's name is on the tax return for 2003, the bank statements and all bills for the house. She isn't on the paystubs but I could have done that as well as I own my own business and I set the payroll with the payroll company. I didn't bring any wedding photos because we didn't have any and we were married at a government office in Turkey so that wouldn't have proved anything.

I would say that it was important that my wife's name was on those other documents as that helped prove that we will be together.

Any way sorry about not being around. I hope all is well.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations to you. You were approved on my birthday woohoo!!!

Love Gisela xxx
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:33 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whistlestop01
Congratulations to you. You were approved on my birthday woohoo!!!

Love Gisela xxx
Many congrats, tmushen!!!! You can breathe easy for a while now!!

Gisela, happy belated birthday!

Kate. xxxx
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

vinnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! Glad to hear that everything went well for you and your wife at the interview!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.