British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   AOS for F2A (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/aos-f2a-938098/)

HotelAlpha Apr 12th 2021 9:32 pm

AOS for F2A

Hi all,

I entered America 3 months ago to visit my sister on B1/B2 visa. My sister sponsored my parents to immigrate to USA, and my parents immigrated here 1 month ago (i was already here). Can I apply for Adjustment of Status in F2A category? I turn 21 in October, my parents are waiting for their Green Cards to arrive, but have a document that acts as a Green card until their Green cards arrive. I lived with and worked for my parents in their daycare business back in the UK. Cheers all

-Hotel

SanDiegogirl Apr 12th 2021 11:18 pm

Re: AOS for F2A

Yes, you can apply.....

Why/how did you have a B1/2 visa?

S Folinsky Apr 12th 2021 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by HotelAlpha (Post 12994419)
Hi all,

I entered America 3 months ago to visit my sister on B1/B2 visa. My sister sponsored my parents to immigrate to USA, and my parents immigrated here 1 month ago (i was already here). Can I apply for Adjustment of Status in F2A category? I turn 21 in October, my parents are waiting for their Green Cards to arrive, but have a document that acts as a Green card until their Green cards arrive. I lived with and worked for my parents in their daycare business back in the UK. Cheers all

-Hotel

I recommend you contact an experienced immigration attorney ASAP. Do not be put off if there is a charge for the consultation. There are issues best discussed in private with an attorney and NOT on a public forum.

Time and discretion are very much of the essence.

HotelAlpha Apr 12th 2021 11:43 pm

Got the b2 a few years ago to visit my sister. Pre-covid. Was planning a long holiday

SanDiegogirl Apr 13th 2021 12:57 am

mmmmmmm.....an under 21 getting a B/2 'cause he wanted to visit his sister for a long holiday....:popcorn:

S Folinsky Apr 13th 2021 2:26 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12994493)
mmmmmmm.....an under 21 getting a B/2 'cause he wanted to visit his sister for a long holiday....:popcorn:

Having had the visa from before appears favorable. From what OP tells us, an application is possible and might even work. But I see a minefield and a good mine detector and some good legal handholding is called for.

civilservant Apr 13th 2021 10:36 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12994493)

Indeed. Even if the OP may have a path, one questions the veracity of the story. USCIS might too.

But I see a minefield and a good mine detector and some good legal handholding is called for.
In this case I agree. One of those mines could easily blow up in your face.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 13th 2021 12:48 pm

F2a PD is current

S Folinsky Apr 13th 2021 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12994715)
F2a PD is current

That it is. OP looks as to be what us legal types call “prima facie eligible” to apply for apply for adjustment of status. At least for now. Ah, but that mine field.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 13th 2021 7:09 pm

Adjusting status from a B is not exactly uncommon.

steph0scope Apr 14th 2021 5:03 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12994456)
Yes, you can apply.....

Why/how did you have a B1/2 visa?

Maybe he is a nationality that’s not VWP-eligible?

SanDiegogirl Apr 14th 2021 5:28 am

Originally Posted by steph0scope (Post 12995054)
Maybe he is a nationality that’s not VWP-eligible?

I presumed he was a Brit as he said he lived and worked in his parent's daycare business in the UK.

.and in his response he did not say he was not a Brit or ineligible for the VWP

HotelAlpha Apr 14th 2021 8:45 am

I'm a brit
I had a vwp before, let it expire. Then I got a b2 for long holiday

civilservant Apr 14th 2021 12:13 pm

One wonders if you informed the officer that you had parents that were soon to arrive in the US as PRs.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 14th 2021 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12995156)
One wonders if you informed the officer that you had parents that were soon to arrive in the US as PRs.

Highly unlikely he would have been asked and as Mr F has said if you are asked do you know what the time is the answer is yes or no.

civilservant Apr 14th 2021 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12995157)
Highly unlikely he would have been asked and as Mr F has said if you are asked do you know what the time is the answer is yes or no.

Likely to have been asked if he has family in the US though. Anyway, this is really all speculation. OP appears to have a path to adjust, but probably should seeking a consultation to avoid those landmines.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 14th 2021 12:30 pm

I am intrigued to know what the land mines are, seems a straightforward case.

A lot of people who visit have family in the US.

SanDiegogirl Apr 14th 2021 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12995164)

I'm still intrigued to know how a Brit teenager gets a B1/B2 visa to visit the US?

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 14th 2021 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12995313)
I'm still intrigued to know how a Brit teenager gets a B1/B2 visa to visit the US?

Most would think it a long shot when applying through London but does happen

SanDiegogirl Apr 14th 2021 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12995330)
Most would think it a long shot when applying through London but does happen

It must be a very long shot...... there are many posters on this forum who have said they have been refused a B1/2 visas even when their (minor) criminal events have been lapsed for many years.

tht Apr 14th 2021 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12995334)
It must be a very long shot...... there are many posters on this forum who have said they have been refused a B1/2 visas even when their (minor) criminal events have been lapsed for many years.

maybe the same logic for retired people can apply to ones who are not working age yet... like coming over for the school (summer) holidays... but a lot of speculation here... and not even details on how they were able to travel / enter the US during a global pandemic etc...

TexanScot Apr 14th 2021 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12995164)

I suppose it's certainly possible that they never knew that their parents would be emigrating to the United States a mere month or so after they arrived as a tourist.

Perhaps it's mere happenstance that after arriving without immigrant intent, they themselves now feel so overcome with joy at the unexpected arrival of their parents that they wish to file for Adjustment of Status and remain.

Stranger things have happened...

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 15th 2021 5:22 am

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12995395)
I suppose it's certainly possible that they never knew that their parents would be emigrating to the United States a mere month or so after they arrived as a tourist.

Perhaps it's mere happenstance that after arriving without immigrant intent, they themselves now feel so overcome with joy at the unexpected arrival of their parents that they wish to file for Adjustment of Status and remain.

Stranger things have happened...

That is in the past, he was inspected and admitted.

S Folinsky Apr 15th 2021 11:16 am

We can engage in speculation as to what OP’s underlying facts are. The law and practice is not simple. What and how the facts are presented may have outsized effect.

This article on immigration fraud and/or “pre-conceived intent” might be of interest. It is all too easy to miss the fuzzy line between fraud/misrepresentation and pre-conceived intent. An interesting case on fraud is the venerable Healy and Goodchild decision. (Note - under the law at that time, an (a)(20) exclusion resulted in a 1-year bar to admission while an (a)(19) was a lifetime bar. In other words, one was a figurative traffic citation, the other a death sentence.)

newacct Apr 15th 2021 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 12995580)
We can engage in speculation as to what OP’s underlying facts are. The law and practice is not simple. What and how the facts are presented may have outsized effect.

This article on immigration fraud and/or “pre-conceived intent” might be of interest. It is all too easy to miss the fuzzy line between fraud/misrepresentation and pre-conceived intent. An interesting case on fraud is the venerable Healy and Goodchild decision. (Note - under the law at that time, an (a)(20) exclusion resulted in a 1-year bar to admission while an (a)(19) was a lifetime bar. In other words, one was a figurative traffic citation, the other a death sentence.)

Precedents before 1986 are not very useful, because under the law at that time, fraud or misrepresentation at entry only caused one to be inadmissible for that time only, but did not cause a ban for future entries or AOS; only fraud or misrepresentation in obtaining a visa caused a lifetime ban. However, currently, fraud or misrepresentation at entry does cause a lifetime ban.

S Folinsky Apr 15th 2021 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by newacct (Post 12995721)
Precedents before 1986 are not very useful, because under the law at that time, fraud or misrepresentation at entry only caused one to be inadmissible for that time only, but did not cause a ban for future entries or AOS; only fraud or misrepresentation in obtaining a visa caused a lifetime ban. However, currently, fraud or misrepresentation at entry does cause a lifetime ban.

The last part of Healy & Goodchild involved a purported misrepresentation in the VISA application, not at the port of entry. You are correct that IRCA expanded the application of the ground of inadmissability to POE misrepresentation later to be expanded to misrepresentation for “any benefit” under the Immigration & Nationality Act. In my opinion, this expands the applicability of Healy rather than making it of little use.