Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with L1 visas?

Anyone have experience with L1 visas?

Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

casablanca83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone have experience with L1 visas?

Hi all,

My husband and I have decided (in the past 3 days!) that we want to make a move to west coast America. We've been looking at Oz for past year but an oportunity has presented itself in California and it's also closer to home.

He owns a business here in UK with his business partner (50% each) and wants to expand and open a new office in America but ideally own 100% of the new office (if that's possible..)

We are speaking to some lawyers this week but I wondered if anyone had experience with any companies/lawyers you would reccomend to get this moving as smoothly and quickly as possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've had a few quotes but not sure whar is 'the standard'

Also if anyone has been through this visa application it would be great to hear how you got on.

With the research I've done so far I think (or I'm hoping!) we've got a pretty decent chance of obtaining a visa - his business is in vending, 15 employees in UK and turnover about £2m. He'd be employing quite a few Americans once over there also.

Anyway, any help or words of wisdom would be fantastic

Thanks
Carla
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have experience with L1 visas?

we recently did L1a succesfully.
it sounds as though you are similar to us size wise.

drop me a DM with your email and i will give you my personal email/phone no
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
we recently did L1a succesfully.
it sounds as though you are similar to us size wise.

drop me a DM with your email and i will give you my personal email/phone no
don't think the op can send pms until she has posted 3 times
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
don't think the op can send pms until she has posted 3 times
And, it's a bad idea to send/receive immigration info in PM or email.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies - you're right I can't pm anyone yet! I'll try when I've done a few more posts Are you in America now flabound?
The visa process doesn't seem too bad from what I'm reading but we've not looked at the info we need to put together for our application as yet - and neither of us are great with paperwork so hopefully not too stressfull ..
Very excited at the prospect though as before last week, I had always put relocating to America out of my mind as I just never thought we had any way of getting a visa.
Thanks C
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

First step is a good immigration lawyer and a good business plan. The two things are linked.

Also bear in mind for a setup it is much easier to get the first year then the renewal.

Anyway good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks David,

We have a business plan and have
spoke to a few lawyers although if anyone here could reccomend one also that would be a great help.
Has anyone used VisaPro?? I've spoke to them so it would be good to hear of anyones experience with them.

And re the renewal - hopefully if the business is successful and we've employed quite a few Americans this would help our case - but if there are other things that could benefit an renewal application, would be good to know about!!

thanks
C
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by casablanca83
Thanks David,

We have a business plan and have
spoke to a few lawyers although if anyone here could reccomend one also that would be a great help.
Has anyone used VisaPro?? I've spoke to them so it would be good to hear of anyones experience with them.

And re the renewal - hopefully if the business is successful and we've employed quite a few Americans this would help our case - but if there are other things that could benefit an renewal application, would be good to know about!!

thanks
C
I meant a proper lawyer

http://www.usvisalawgroup.com/

London based, but you can also consider US based lawyers.