Anyone done N600K recently?

Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:55 pm
  #46  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 57
jmpowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Fiasco indeed! I'm sorry to hear that and hope that's not our case. I've accessed the website and set up an account to have the email and mobile notifications alert, but the sites says not to inquire until they've had it 6 months, is that true? Some of the other locations say they are taking 5 months to process these, just not the NBC where it was sent for processing.
jmpowell is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:04 pm
  #47  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by jmpowell
Fiasco indeed! I'm sorry to hear that and hope that's not our case. I've accessed the website and set up an account to have the email and mobile notifications alert, but the sites says not to inquire until they've had it 6 months, is that true? Some of the other locations say they are taking 5 months to process these, just not the NBC where it was sent for processing.
Yes, we were told do not inquire until 6 months passed but trying to get any update was a nightmare. The field director at the US Embassy in London had to track the application down. Once they are processed at the NBC they get sent to whichever office you put on the form. This has to be one of the USCIS offices in the US. Ours was eventually processed at the Orlando Field Office and they were great (once we actually got the interview set).
JPROPS72 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:10 pm
  #48  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 57
jmpowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Well that helps.....we can track with the Minnesota office to see if they have it at 6 months. How did you contact the field director, did you use the info on the website? Field Office Director
Embassy of the United States of America/DHS/USCIS
24 Grosvenor Square
London, England W1K 6AH
or is there a way to get a name to inquire of? It never seems to be the case, but I thought I'd ask to save time
jmpowell is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:36 pm
  #49  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by jmpowell
Well that helps.....we can track with the Minnesota office to see if they have it at 6 months. How did you contact the field director, did you use the info on the website? Field Office Director
Embassy of the United States of America/DHS/USCIS
24 Grosvenor Square
London, England W1K 6AH
or is there a way to get a name to inquire of? It never seems to be the case, but I thought I'd ask to save time
We used the phone number on the website and he just happened to answer the phone. He was super helpful.
JPROPS72 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:29 pm
  #50  
Under blue skies
Thread Starter
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
We have JUST got our daughter's certificate of citizenship (via the N-600K) after applying for in March 2014. To say it was a huge fiasco, is an understatement but we got there!

You send the form to the Phoenix Office but beyond that our application disappeared into the abyss. We got confirmation of receipt and payment was taken but after that it didn't progress at all.

My wife spent hours calling the NBC and got incorrect information every single time. In the end she spoke to the US Embassy in London who took up the case, tracked it down in New York where it had sat for 9 months.

After getting a congressperson and the Field Director in London involved, we eventually got an interview date in the US (you will have to go to the US to get the process completed) and our daughter got her certificate of citizenship in March 2015.

The processing time is SUPPOSED to be 5 - 6 months, but it is an uncommon form and from what the USCIS woman told us at the interview, it gets sidelined a lot! Be ready to stay on top of your application and chase it up regularly. I honestly believe that if we hadn't made pests of ourselves with London and through congresswoman's office, we'd still be in limbo land now.
Wow, this is not encouraging.... I've not started the process yet ... the bun being still "in the oven" so to speak ....

Thank you for your account of what happened to your family, JPROPS. It certainly sounds like a nightmare! I guess in my case I feel it's always better to be prepared for the worst.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:58 pm
  #51  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Wow, this is not encouraging.... I've not started the process yet ... the bun being still "in the oven" so to speak ....

Thank you for your account of what happened to your family, JPROPS. It certainly sounds like a nightmare! I guess in my case I feel it's always better to be prepared for the worst.
Have you checked that you can't do a consular registration of birth abroad? That would be a lot easier! I don't know your personal circumstances but I can tell you that the N600K route is a pain to deal with. My wife spent hours on the phone and it really wasn't until her parents contacted their congresswoman and the field director here made it his mission to get it resolved that the application progressed.
JPROPS72 is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:26 pm
  #52  
Under blue skies
Thread Starter
 
WEBlue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: East Anglia->New England
Posts: 3,624
WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
Have you checked that you can't do a consular registration of birth abroad? That would be a lot easier! I don't know your personal circumstances but I can tell you that the N600K route is a pain to deal with. My wife spent hours on the phone and it really wasn't until her parents contacted their congresswoman and the field director here made it his mission to get it resolved that the application progressed.
It seems crazy that an application can simply languish at the USCIS office (--no matter how 'uncommon' it may be) for so long. I wonder if it makes a difference (in the time it takes to process) which field office you put on your application? Orlando was a good choice in the end?

We can't do a simple consular registration...as far as I understand. The USC parent cannot transmit USC due to birth outside the US plus insufficient residence years, so we are using the grandparent qualification for US residence years.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 29th 2015 at 2:25 pm.
WEBlue is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:47 pm
  #53  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
It seems crazy that an application can simply languish at the USCIS office (--no matter how 'uncommon' it may be) for so long. I wonder if it makes a difference (in the time it takes to process) which field office you put on your application? Orlando was a good choice in the end?

We can't do a simple consular registration...as far as I understand. The USC parent cannot transmit USC due to birth outside the US and insufficient residence years, so we are using the grandparent qualification for residence years.

The irony of our application was that my wife (the USC parent) is from Michigan. We are moving from the UK to Florida. Somehow, the NBC sent it to New York! No one at the NBC could find it, when we tried to get the process expedited the NBC couldn't input our address into the system because we were in the UK. It was a huge mess.

We had to get it processed before we could move because our daughter couldn't enter the US to domicile until she was a US Citizen. In the end once the congresswoman got involved and the field director in London, we got an email within days saying "when and where do you want your interview?" We chose Orlando and the first date we could take a trip over because we were moving to Florida and it was dealt with quickly and efficiently there.

At one point the NBC were insisting that only London could process it. Then we were told that our daughter didn't need it and could just get a US passport in London (neither of which were correct). Another point to mention is that you won't be able to get the US passports in the US if you're resident in the UK. You will have to apply at the embassy for that on your return.
JPROPS72 is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:35 pm
  #54  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by JPROPS72
We had to get it processed before we could move because our daughter couldn't enter the US to domicile until she was a US Citizen.
With respect, that's simply not true. You could have filed an I-130 for her and she would have received an immigrant visa, and she would have immediately become a US citizen the moment she entered the US.

I could understand the N-600K if you're going to continue to live outside the US, but if you're moving to the US anyway, it was a complete waste of energy.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:58 pm
  #55  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, that's simply not true. You could have filed an I-130 for her and she would have received an immigrant visa, and she would have immediately become a US citizen the moment she entered the US.

I could understand the N-600K if you're going to continue to live outside the US, but if you're moving to the US anyway, it was a complete waste of energy.

Ian
We were told that we couldn't apply for the I-130 because she had a claim to citizenship through her mother (she's adopted which also has it's implications). That aside it is a lot cheaper to get the certificate of citizenship than it would have been to take an immigrant route.
JPROPS72 is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:49 pm
  #56  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 57
jmpowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

So your daughter had her Citizenship Appt, became a citizen at that point, and then it was mandatory she return back to London to get her passport? Seems she would receive that along with a SSN at the appt, or at least that's what we saw on the website. Did this route have any restrictions? The thought is the child will return to their home country, but what if they decide not to? Any ideas on that? Also, what type of interview questions were there? My nephew is going the Grandparent route also.
jmpowell is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 10:04 am
  #57  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by jmpowell
So your daughter had her Citizenship Appt, became a citizen at that point, and then it was mandatory she return back to London to get her passport? Seems she would receive that along with a SSN at the appt, or at least that's what we saw on the website. Did this route have any restrictions? The thought is the child will return to their home country, but what if they decide not to? Any ideas on that? Also, what type of interview questions were there? My nephew is going the Grandparent route also.
Yes, we had the N600K interview I say interview but in all honesty, it was a chit chat while the USCIS officer put the information into the computer to print the certificate, and was told on the day that it was approved and to wait for another officer. That officer goes through the signing of the certificate, in our case, my wife (as the USC) had to sign for our daughter. At that point, the officer gave our daughter a flag and a packet of stuff and said "Congratulations, you are now a US Citizen".

You don't get the SSN or passport, both have to be applied for (they do give you the forms in the packet with your certificate though). You apply in your country of residence (in our case London for now). I don't think it is mandatory, I think you can apply in the US (if that is where you are resident) but what you have to bear in mind, is that there is no guarantee that the N600K will be approved until you complete the interview. So planning to stay without going through the visa process has it's own risks.

The problem you have is that if you're going to the interview in the US and enter on VWP, you can technically run into problems if you stay (whether you would or not I don't know). The issue being intent. You can't go into the US with "intent to stay" on VWP or visitor visa. Even if you have the N600K interview, you are not guaranteed to be granted citizenship. We were questioned about this at the POE because we said that we were travelling for our daughter's citizenship interview. We had no intent to stay, we were always going back to the UK to finish my green card process so this didn't apply with us, but I'm not sure where you would stand if you stay with the issue of intent. Perhaps someone else can offer insight with that.

A US Citizen MUST enter the US on their US passport, so from the point that the certificate is issued our daughter could no longer enter the US on her UK one. We already had an appointment booked at the London Embassy before we left so that on our return we could go straight in and get her US Passport done.
JPROPS72 is offline  
Old May 4th 2015, 8:25 pm
  #58  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 57
jmpowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Thanks for the information. It doesn't seem many people go this route so it's nice to know it works. I think our only difference is we're going with the "grandparent" situation for residency. 6 months from receipt of application is June 10 so we'll start calling and following up at 0001 on 10 June!
jmpowell is offline  
Old May 4th 2015, 9:25 pm
  #59  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by jmpowell
Thanks for the information. It doesn't seem many people go this route so it's nice to know it works. I think our only difference is we're going with the "grandparent" situation for residency. 6 months from receipt of application is June 10 so we'll start calling and following up at 0001 on 10 June!
You may have a far less problematic application than we did but just be prepared to follow up regularly. The cost of N600K vs. I-130/IR1 is significant so I'm glad we took the N600K route, but unfortunately, it's a form that tends to get filed for later!
JPROPS72 is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2015, 11:08 pm
  #60  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 254
gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

This has been very helpful. I have the forms to finish completing with DH's info as the USC grandfather. I didn't realise it would take many months. I knew an interview was likely but the website says they don't always interview so useful to hear that children have been interviewed.
I agree re cost of N600K and I-130/IR1. I don't know what the time scale is for the latter plus they would have to travel to a consulate for interview. So decided to go this route. Plus our son wouldn't have to go through the lovely prove domicile and have DH as co sponsor or move to the US and get a job before the rest of the family moves.

I tell you living in other countries is great but it sure complicates matters.
gad33 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.