Anyone done N600K recently?

Old Jul 29th 2016, 12:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Originally Posted by CA.dreaming
I imagine that there is no way to take the oath outside of the U.S., is there?
No. The interview and oath must be done in the US.

Also, can a family with 2 or 3 children submit the N600K forms together so that they can, hopefully, avoid having to take more than one trip.
The forms can be submitted together, yes - but there's no guarantee that they'll be processed one immediately after the other or that the interviews will be held on the same date. Still, there's nothing to lose by trying.

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

jmpowell is an unknown quantity at this point

Just ensure you complete before the children turn 18, it's too late after that. USCIS received our application Dec 2014 and our interview appointment is Sept 2016. It doesn't seem to take long, we had some glitches, but knowing that, start early is my recommendation. I've seen on here where others have bundled all apps together, are all 6 going to have the same information? Mom, dad, addresses, etc? The last thing you want is to confuse the person reviewing the forms. The grandparent can be deceased and does not need to be at the interview.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 3:13 am
Just Joined

CA.dreaming is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jmpowell
Just ensure you complete before the children turn 18, it's too late after that. USCIS received our application Dec 2014 and our interview appointment is Sept 2016. It doesn't seem to take long, we had some glitches, but knowing that, start early is my recommendation. I've seen on here where others have bundled all apps together, are all 6 going to have the same information? Mom, dad, addresses, etc? The last thing you want is to confuse the person reviewing the forms. The grandparent can be deceased and does not need to be at the interview.
Do you mean it can take up to 2 years? I'm not too worried about that because the oldest is 8 years old and the youngest 4 months. But I do worry sometimes that they may change the laws regarding citizenship at any time. My San Francisco-born mom married an immigrante in the early 1920's and several years later he obtained the U.S. citizenship. When, in the 60's, she applied for a passport she was told she had lost her U.S. citizenship in the 20's when she married my dad. So, I worry about not getting my grandsons' USC before something happens.

No. the information will be different. One of my daughters has one son; another has 2 and the third has 3. I guess brothers can go together, no?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Ours took that long because, in our belief, USCIS got confused on the forms and family story. But I've seen other people on this forum get their interview a few months after submitting their application. It depends on the person receiving the application and if it's put together right (easy to read and follow A-Z). Laws do change and that can be scary so I'd again recommend doing as soon as possible. On another forum I read that someone said the fee is going to go up to approximately $1200, but I've not seen anything else anywhere so that could just be a bit of misleading gossip. Many of the people on this forum can really point you in the right direction and though not lawyers in an official capacity, their advice and information can give you some confidence you're on the right path.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean it can take up to 2 years? I'm not too worried about that because the oldest is 8 years old and the youngest 4 months. But I do worry sometimes that they may change the laws regarding citizenship at any time. My San Francisco-born mom married an immigrante in the early 1920's and several years later he obtained the U.S. citizenship. When, in the 60's, she applied for a passport she was told she had lost her U.S. citizenship in the 20's when she married my dad. So, I worry about not getting my grandsons' USC before something happens.

No. the information will be different. One of my daughters has one son; another has 2 and the third has 3. I guess brothers can go together, no?

Never heard of that rule before. Do you know who was the person and/or agency that told her that and what the INA regulation number is? What did your mother do at that point?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Found the answer in the government archives.

"After 1907, marriage determined a woman's nationality status completely. Under the act of March 2, 1907, all women acquired their husband's nationality upon any marriage occurring after that date. This changed nothing for immigrant women, but U.S.-born citizen women could now lose their citizenship by any marriage to any alien. Most of these women subsequently regained their U.S. citizenship when their husbands naturalized. However, those who married Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, or other men racially ineligible to naturalize forfeited their U.S. citizenship. Similarly, many former U.S. citizen women found themselves married to men who were ineligible to citizenship for some other reason or who simply refused to naturalize. Because the courts held that a husband's nationality would always determine that of the wife, a married woman could not legally file for naturalization."

Now this appears to be what determined your mother's loss of US Citizenship. However, you said it was the 1920's and further reading of the archives found this:

"Happily, Congress was at work and on September 22, 1922, passed the Married Women's Act, also known as the Cable Act. This 1922 law finally gave each woman a nationality of her own. No marriage since that date has granted U.S. citizenship to any alien woman nor taken it from any U.S.-born women who married an alien eligible to naturalization."

So unless your mom married in 1920, 1921 or prior to 9/2/1922, she did indeed lose her US Citizenship but regained it when her husband naturalized and thus should not have been denied a passport. If, however, she married after 9/2/1922, then she never lost her US Citizenship and the person/agency who denied her a passport was incorrect.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 29th 2016 at 7:56 am.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 9:49 am
Just Joined

I was wrong. Apparently, my parents married in the late 1920's. My father did naturalize and my mother had to naturalize to finally get her passport in the 60's. Hmmm, I wonder what happened.
Anyway, thanks for your investigation! I think we were in shock at the time and never really investigated.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:40 am
Just Joined

jmpowell,
I have a note, from maybe 3 or 4 years ago, saying that the fee was $355. So I wouldn't be surprised if it does go up, although $1200 (double) seems excessive.

I agree with you. After less than 24 hours on this forum, I am impressed with the interest that people have in helping and giving good advice. I'm sure I'll be here many times with lots of questions. And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to help someone by sharing our experiences.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to help someone by sharing our experiences.
That's all we ask! Thank you!

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:59 am
Just Joined

jmpowell,
I have a note, from maybe 3 or 4 years ago, saying that the fee was $355. So I wouldn't be surprised if it does go up, although $1200 (double) seems excessive.

I agree with you. After less than 24 hours on this forum, I am impressed with the interest that people have in helping and giving good advice. I'm sure I'll be here many times with lots of questions. And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to help someone by sharing our experiences.

Thanks!
Congratulations in advance for your appointment in September! You must all be very excited.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

He was denied the visa My sister explained that he was obtaining citizenship through his grandfather...which isn't the case....N600K is still using the parent but
"The child's U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the United States for a period or periods totaling at least 5 years, at least 2 of which were after 14 years of age. If the U.S. citizen parent does not meet this requirement, the U.S. citizen parent’s own U.S. citizen parent (grandparent) has to have been physically present in the United States for a period or periods totaling at least 5 years, at least 2 of which were after 14 years of age"
but due to what my sister said, the agent stated there is no grandparent rule nor a way to obtain citizenship through a grandparent, denied the visa and sent them on their way.
Was able to schedule another appointment....and will be trying again. $200 for appointment plus travel from the North to London...this is not cheap!
Old Aug 11th 2016, 11:03 am
Account Closed

... but due to what my sister said, the agent stated there is no grandparent rule nor a way to obtain citizenship through a grandparent, denied the visa and sent them on their way.
Water under the bridge now, but your sister should have insisted on speaking to the supervisor - someone who actually knows the rules.

Was able to schedule another appointment...
Perhaps you should go yourself this time!

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2016, 1:58 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

He was denied the visa My sister explained that he was obtaining citizenship through his grandfather...which isn't the case....N600K is still using the parent but
"The child's U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the United States for a period or periods totaling at least 5 years, at least 2 of which were after 14 years of age. If the U.S. citizen parent does not meet this requirement, the U.S. citizen parent’s own U.S. citizen parent (grandparent) has to have been physically present in the United States for a period or periods totaling at least 5 years, at least 2 of which were after 14 years of age"
but due to what my sister said, the agent stated there is no grandparent rule nor a way to obtain citizenship through a grandparent, denied the visa and sent them on their way.
Was able to schedule another appointment....and will be trying again. $200 for appointment plus travel from the North to London...this is not cheap!
Oh no, so sorry to hear your nephew's application was denied, Jmpowell! The dangers of dealing with an uninformed bureaucrat!

Your sister will make sure to have a printout of Section 322 with her at the next appointment, I'm sure.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Vasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all! Please remind me something before filing : I must send my application to Phoenix lockbox, and then they forward it for review/examination to any office they want, or to the uscis office I stated that I want to have the interview scheduled? If this is the case, which is the best, in terms of quick processing, office to point as preferable for interview? Many thanks in advance!!!
Old Aug 12th 2016, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vasileios
I must send my application to Phoenix lockbox, and then they forward it for review/examination to any office they want, or to the uscis office I stated that I want to have the interview scheduled?
They will process the application wherever it is most convenient for them, but you will interview at the office that is most convenient for you.

If this is the case, which is the best, in terms of quick processing, office to point as preferable for interview?
Go wherever you want. Getting the application processed is the part that takes all the time. Once the application has finished processing, the interview times will all be roughly the same... so it doesn't matter! Go wherever it's convenient for you.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.