Anyone done N600K recently?

Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:20 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done N600K recently?

Here's a good, clear explanation of the N-600K from American Citizens Abroad:

https://www.americansabroad.org/natu...r-section-322/

And another page from the same site that has a chart to show if you or your child is eligible for this route to US naturalization....
https://www.americansabroad.org/dete...form=hootsuite

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 20th 2018 at 3:23 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:53 am
Just Joined

dapostol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vasileios
Hi to all, just returned from (a very cold!!!)Boston for the interview of my children. Things went very fine, the uscis staff was very friendly, they did not ask for any documents at all! ( but i had the folder with all the originals with me, just in case). Only my son gave the oath, as he is 15 years old- my daughter, who is only 9, was not asked to take the oath. The whole process took us about 1.5 hours.
We got the certificates of citizenship, with small usa flags, and many photos in the uscis office during the procedure. Our next step: we will apply for us passports and Social security cards in the us embassy in Athens...
So, we have two brand new citizens!
Merry Christmas to all people in the forum, and a happy new year!!!
Hi Vasileios,
I am in the process of gathering the documents to fill out the n600k forms for my two children and came across your posts. I would love if I can contact you in some way since we are both from Greece and would appreciate any help I can find before sending out the forms. Hope to hear from you!
Danae
Old Apr 4th 2018, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Vasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond reputeVasileios has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dapostol
Hi Vasileios,
I am in the process of gathering the documents to fill out the n600k forms for my two children and came across your posts. I would love if I can contact you in some way since we are both from Greece and would appreciate any help I can find before sending out the forms. Hope to hear from you!
Danae
Hi Danae, i just sent to you a personal message with my contact details( check you inbox in this forum)
Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Brusselscat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I just spent my morning reading all 395 posts on this thread. And I was so happy to see so many positive outcomes. Also, there have been so many helpful people on here, it warms the heart as I prepare to embark on this myself. Let me give you as much information as I can: I was born and grew up in France to American parents. Lived in the US as an adult but I do not meet the 5 years condition. I have two boys currently 4 and 6, born in wedlock with a French/Tunisian citizen. I will be applying using my mother's residency. For now, I am gathering proof of her life in the US: Social security statements (for about 3 years), high school transcripts, college transcripts. I could also get her marriage certificate. Do you think that would be enough or should she also get affidavits from her childhood friends, her sister? Maybe even her proof of baptism and confirmation? The thing is, I don't know how much I should go overboard on the documentation...

I will be back with more questions as I go along, I'm sure!
Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go overboard and don't send irrelevant information.

If your mother was born in the US, then send a copy of her birth cert, and then proof of her living in the US. You'll have to check the website for what is permitted and for what years as I can' remember off the top of my head. Only send photocopies in case originals get lost. And there is no need to spend time gathering more information than is asked for.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! I had forgotten my Mom's birth certificate. I'll add that to the list.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 10:07 am
Just Joined

RebeccaS is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm finalising my application for US Citizenship for my daughter using an N-600k form. I am a US/UK dual national, but have not lived in the US since early childhood, so I need to use my mother's residence there to fulfill the presence test. I have read most of this thread, but had a few questions.

1) Proof of physical and legal custody. My reading of the application's instructions is that this is only necessary in cases of divorce, adoption, etc. I am married to my daughter's biological father and we were married when she was born. In the early pages of this thread, a very confident poster seemed to suggest that proof of custody was a requirement for all applicants, but seemed surprised by the notion that this could be difficult to affirmatively prove and the conversation didn't go much further. I'm hoping the instructions have been clarified and this won't be necessary, but will I need to prove that we have legal/physical custody of her? If so, how? As I'm sure you all know, in the UK, unless there is a disagreement over custody, documents affirmatively proving it aren't drawn up (and I imagine it's the same in most other countries?)

My child is a toddler and she is not registered at a nursery or childcare facility. She doesn't receive official letters from anyone. I could perhaps ask her GP to write a letter confirming she's registered at the same address as me? But that's likely to cost money (my surgery charges for "reports") and take many weeks to get. Her birth certificate does list us both at the same address anyway, so...perhaps that would be enough? Other than that I'm at a loss.

Did anyone else who went through this process succeed without bother with this part of the evidence packet (if you were - like me - still married to your child's other legal parent?)

2) I'm planning to submit the following to prove my mother's physical presence: childhood immunisation card (about five jabs between the ages of 0 and 5), undergraduate (4 years) and postgraduate (1 year) degree transcripts, social security contributions (about 14 years over an 18 year period), and the three passports she held while living in the US as an adult (five years each - during that time US passports only lasted that long). Unfortunately, the US doesn't always stamp passports on re-entry to the US if you're a citizen, but I'm hoping since they have her visas for the two times she did live elsewhere (a year in Canada and then a permanent move to the UK), and since they were issued in the US, they will at least provide circumstantial evidence she was living there at the time. I have other bits and pieces I could submit (birth certificate, marriage certificate, high school diploma, etc.) but they are one offs and don't prove presence over time and I thought it would be better to focus only on items that imply presence over time. Is this a good approach and does the above seem sufficient to you?

I would struggle to find things like mortgage payments, bank statements or employment records as she left the US over thirty years ago.

(Regarding her birth certificate, I know I have to prove my mother's US citizenship, but I am using her current, unexpired passport for that. I only have her short-form birth certificate and I understand these aren't always accepted as proof of citizenship, so if I submitted it, it would just be as corroborating evidence for her life in the US).

Any further thoughts or advice would be very welcome! I have everything except copies of the degree transcripts, which should be arriving this week, so I'm hoping to put everything together very soon.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can recall, no one has been asked to prove physical and legal custody.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 5:54 am
Just Joined

RebeccaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thank you. I didn't see anyone else mentioning it either, but was worried it was some kind of basic, standard thing no one else had questions about! I plan to submit my application today, and will do so without proof of custody and hope for the best.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, me again. I have almost finished gathering all my documents. My question is regarding translations of documents. My children's birth certificates, as well as my marriage certificate, are in French. Should I have a sworn translator do the translation into English or would a friend who is bilingual and an ESL teacher be sufficient? Thank you!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 7:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Or do it yourself.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 11:49 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brusselscat
Hi all, me again. I have almost finished gathering all my documents. My question is regarding translations of documents. My children's birth certificates, as well as my marriage certificate, are in French. Should I have a sworn translator do the translation into English or would a friend who is bilingual and an ESL teacher be sufficient? Thank you!
There are USCIS instructions for any N600K supporting documents that are in a foreign language. Go to this page:
https://www.uscis.gov/n-600k

Open the document labelled "Instructions for Form N-600K (PDF, 254KB)"

Translations. If you submit a document with information in a foreign language, you must also submit a full English
translation. The translator must sign a certification that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that
he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The certification should also include the date,
the translator’s signature and printed name, and may contain the translator’s contact information.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Zaineb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello my situation seems really difficult, i lived in america from 2 till 13 i have american citizenship, i now live in the uk and have two kids i still plan on living in the uk so im doing th n-600k form. I belive i do not meet the requirments as i have not lived 2 years after the age of 14, althought both my parents are american citizens, they lived in america they same time as me which was about 12 years,

I think my parents can pass on citizenship for my kids, i dont really have any documents for my parents i guess they werent very organized😪😪😪

they do not live in the states any longer aswell they they live in iraq and i live in uk

i can have them send me their passports and certifitcate of citizenship and the card that has their ssn, that about all that i have from them can i just send those in, i can also send in my passport and certificate of citizenship plus i can get my transcripts for elemntary school and middle school

Is that to little evidence, and as for the form im going to be filling it out but the granparent will be passing on citizenship, does the granparent need to come for the interview?

Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you WEBlue and Rete! Translating myself just seemed too easy for some reason :-)
Old Aug 13th 2018, 2:02 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Zaineb
Hello my situation seems really difficult, i lived in america from 2 till 13 i have american citizenship, i now live in the uk and have two kids i still plan on living in the uk so im doing th n-600k form. I belive i do not meet the requirments as i have not lived 2 years after the age of 14, althought both my parents are american citizens, they lived in america they same time as me which was about 12 years,

I think my parents can pass on citizenship for my kids, i dont really have any documents for my parents i guess they werent very organized😪😪😪

they do not live in the states any longer aswell they they live in iraq and i live in uk

i can have them send me their passports and certifitcate of citizenship and the card that has their ssn, that about all that i have from them can i just send those in, i can also send in my passport and certificate of citizenship plus i can get my transcripts for elemntary school and middle school

Is that to little evidence, and as for the form im going to be filling it out but the granparent will be passing on citizenship, does the granparent need to come for the interview?
Zaineb, if you don't have at least 2 years of US residence AFTER age 14, you are correct that you can't pass on American citizenship automatically to your non-US born children. It sounds like your parents do qualify to pass on their residence years through you, so I would choose one parent and start gathering their residence proof.

Go to the same link I posted in response to Brusselscat (above). https://www.uscis.gov/n-600k Then click on "Instructions for Form N-600K (PDF, 254KB)"... which will open the Adobe instruction document.

This has all the documents that can be used as evidence of the grandparent's US residence years. DON'T send the originals of any evidence of your parent's residence years!! Send good readable copies only! Save the originals for the interview, as you may be asked to show them at that time.

Note: If your parent has a US Social Security number, he/she can request from the SS Administration a record of the years worked in the US in which SS was paid in--a copy of that can be excellent proof!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.