Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to the US Embassy in South Africa???

Anyone been to the US Embassy in South Africa???

Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:06 pm
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone been to the US Embassy in South Africa???

We need to get my child's O3 visa stamped in his British passport, my husband has already been approved for O1 renewal so my kids are getting new O3 visa's as well - my son who is 14 will have to go for Embassy Interview - we are traveling to SA in December and I'm wondering if we can get his passport stamped while we are there - has anyone been to US embassy there for anything similar? We will be in Cape Town.

Thanks!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been to the US Embassy in South Africa???

Originally Posted by Lilly77
... we are traveling to SA in December and I'm wondering if we can get his passport stamped while we are there - has anyone been to US embassy there for anything similar? We will be in Cape Town.
You likely won't be going to the US Embassy but to the US Consulate which is in a different building. Embassies provide services for US citizens; Consulates provide services (such as visas) for non-US citizens!

Why not simply call/email them and find out?

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

MariaKW is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I were at the US consulate in Cape Town in May this year for our L1/L2 visa interviews.
Happy to share any aspect of this if it will help you in your situation.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 11:54 pm
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MariaKW
My family and I were at the US consulate in Cape Town in May this year for our L1/L2 visa interviews.
Happy to share any aspect of this if it will help you in your situation.
That would be great!! Feel free to DM me or reply on here! How long did they keep your passports for? Did you get them sent back or did you pick them up?
Old Aug 18th 2017, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

The process was quick and efficient.
There was a 21 day wait to book the next available appointment.
When the day came the consulate was fairly quiet (maybe about 6 people who seemed to be applying for holiday visas and us) and we were in and out in less than 30 minutes.
They did not offer to deliver the passports back to us but we could collect from a DHL office of our choice. We opted for the Stellenbosch DHL which was closest too us but they offered collection from DHL all over Western Cape.
Interview was a Tuesday morning, we collected passports on the Friday afternoon.

Anything else you would like to know? Happy to help.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

I meant to add that the staff were very approachable. Hopefully your holiday timing is such that there will be no issues but, from my experience there, I think they would be understanding if you explained your time restrictions.