Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Canada instead of London to change status?

Anyone been to Canada instead of London to change status?

Old Jan 6th 2020, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone been to Canada instead of London to change status?

Hi all and happy new year!

We've had a super complex journey over the last couple of years and the latest change is that we moved from E2 to L1 status late last year. Our whole family have now adjusted to L1 status (L2 for dependents) however we did this remotely so while we all have immigration status, only I have an actual visa to travel out and back in to the US since I had to do this (at the US embassy in London) to allow for applying for my updated work permit. I do get nervous that if any sort of emergency occurred in the UK and we needed to visit family then I am the only one who could do it without going through all the planning and booking with the US embassy.

So my question is whether anyone has ever booked their change of status in Canada and processed their visa there? If you did, how long did the passport take to come back?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 6th 2020, 7:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been to Canada instead of London to change status?

It would be easy enough for the family to visit the embassy in London if an emergency arose in the UK. Why spend the extra money when you don't really need to. .yet...?

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2020, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

true - that's why we didn't all go back last time. I was thinking we could drive to canada and just build it into a vacation but I'll do some research about last minute appointments in London - it's always taken weeks to get one in the past but maybe different if urgent situation?

Thanks for the response!
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

When I switched from L1B to H1B I did it in Toronto (I lived in New York). It was pretty easy. Went up there for a few days, mooched around (it was pretty cold though), did some sightseeing, came home. Not sure if it's still the case but the only annoying thing was that I had to go out to a FedEx place outside of Toronto to pickup my passport with the new visa in it. I can't remember why, but they either wouldn't deliver it to my hotel, or it would have taken too long. I just remember it being really far and annoying.

I'll never forget how angry I was about the security guard and the couple in front of me. We were queuing outside and it was fcking freezing. They were renewing their US visas too, and they had their baby with them who I assume was a USC. He said the baby couldn't come in, as she didn't have an appointment, and they would need to go in separately while the other one waited outside with the baby. It was so infuriatingly petty.
Old Jan 8th 2020, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pejp
When I switched from L1B to H1B I did it in Toronto (I lived in New York). It was pretty easy. Went up there for a few days, mooched around (it was pretty cold though), did some sightseeing, came home. Not sure if it's still the case but the only annoying thing was that I had to go out to a FedEx place outside of Toronto to pickup my passport with the new visa in it. I can't remember why, but they either wouldn't deliver it to my hotel, or it would have taken too long. I just remember it being really far and annoying.

I'll never forget how angry I was about the security guard and the couple in front of me. We were queuing outside and it was fcking freezing. They were renewing their US visas too, and they had their baby with them who I assume was a USC. He said the baby couldn't come in, as she didn't have an appointment, and they would need to go in separately while the other one waited outside with the baby. It was so infuriatingly petty.
Wow that's insane! how naughty of that baby not making an appointment...
Thanks this is really helpful. We are in NJ north so wouldn't be too far of a road trip to toronto! maybe when less freezing though!
Old Jan 8th 2020, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Big problem is if you get stuck in AP
Old Jan 9th 2020, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Done Toronto twice
Appointment Tuesday
Got email notification following Thursday (about 1130pm) that visa/passport was completed

About 45 mins later had notification that passport had been shipped to our chosen pickup location

Went and picked up at about 0930 the Friday

That was 2015 and we chose a pickup location
Old Jan 30th 2020, 8:12 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife renewed her L1B in Toronto in January 2018. We drove up, stopping at Niagra falls at the weekend. Her appointment was on the Monday. She was in and out in less than 30 minutes. We only had to wait three days for her passport to be available for collection. Was much easier than having to fly back to the UK, plus we got to do some touristy stuff... Toronto is a nice city!