Any recent visa outcomes?

Old Oct 15th 2018, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

britanya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any recent visa outcomes?

Has anybody recently applied for a US visa and have any positive or negative outcomes to speak of? Or know of any? I’m soon to submit my application and am concerned due to reading about so many issues coming up for applicants now during the trump administration, especially h1b, o1 and p visas. My application is for an o1
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recent visa outcomes?

With respect, do bear in mind that your application is going to get judged on its own merit. Granted, there have been issues in the last year it would seem, the most common being a significant increase in the amount of applications going through administrative processing and the overall timeline of things getting a lot longer; but if your application is as good as it can be, and it satisfies all the requirements, there is not much else you can do.

The other thing to bear in mind is this forum hears most about problems. Most visas go through without issue and as such we never hear anything about it. To that end, the idea that the current situation is a lot more trying is somewhat anecdotal too.

It's very easy to get panicky or concerned. If you know your application is pushing the limits a bit when it comes to eligibility, and you're not in a position to risk the money or be prepared to take a visa denial on your record, then do not apply. That advice has been standard since day one though, and the current climate doesn't really change it.

As for some personal commentary that is pure speculation: I reckon O-1 visas are the class most frequently used by "chancers" (I am constantly surprised by the calibre of some O-1 holders here in LA), so that is the class you'll hear most issues with, and to be honest, rightly so.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
With respect, do bear in mind that your application is going to get judged on its own merit. Granted, there have been issues in the last year it would seem, the most common being a significant increase in the amount of applications going through administrative processing and the overall timeline of things getting a lot longer; but if your application is as good as it can be, and it satisfies all the requirements, there is not much else you can do.

The other thing to bear in mind is this forum hears most about problems. Most visas go through without issue and as such we never hear anything about it. To that end, the idea that the current situation is a lot more trying is somewhat anecdotal too.

It's very easy to get panicky or concerned. If you know your application is pushing the limits a bit when it comes to eligibility, and you're not in a position to risk the money or be prepared to take a visa denial on your record, then do not apply. That advice has been standard since day one though, and the current climate doesn't really change it.

As for some personal commentary that is pure speculation: I reckon O-1 visas are the class most frequently used by "chancers" (I am constantly surprised by the calibre of some O-1 holders here in LA), so that is the class you'll hear most issues with, and to be honest, rightly so.
Thanks for your response. I agree in general but being in this process right now I am seeing that things are rapidly changing within the last 2 months so I'm interested to hear of other's experience. In the recent past various changes to immigration law has directly affected my case in regards to parts of it having to be re-done or different information gathered, and my lawyer has mentioned that since september he is noticing applications being scrutinised in ways they were not before, with a lot more RFEs being seen. My agent who is my sponsor also mentioned within the last year a high instance of visa petitions being approved but then denied without clear reason at certain embassies. I try to be hopeful, and my case is good, but I personally was denied previously for another visa that had no reason to be denied - it was for the renewal of a visa i previously held for a long time, and to this day all lawyers i speak to are shocked at its denial, because everything was in order.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:58 am
Just Joined

hudson1291 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I just received my visa yesterday! I applied for the EB-3 visa and started the process over 18 months ago. Some stages took a really long time (not sure if it was due to the new government policies) but I had a solicitor who was able to help me through everything - I would recommend getting some advice. I'm also fortunate to have been offered a job at a company who have been very patient.
If you do decide to submit an application, good luck - It will most likely be worth it.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:19 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britanya
In the recent past various changes to immigration law has directly affected my case
What recent changes in immigration law? The only changes I have seen recently is the suspension of issuing visas to people from certain countries (and that’s not even a change in law - it’s a temporary suspension). But there has been no major immigration reform for several decades. Forms may have been updated or additional information requested now that wasn’t asked before to keep up with current times (current forms ask about social media usage, for example, but people who went through the process 5 years ago weren’t asked this) but this is not a change in the law. And despite what the tabloid media might want you to believe, we are a long way from any new immigration reform also because there are several hurdles to clear before anything can become law.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britanya
Thanks for your response. I agree in general but being in this process right now I am seeing that things are rapidly changing within the last 2 months so I'm interested to hear of other's experience.
Can you give examples of this? I haven't read of anything on this forum that suggests the process has changed vs. 6 or maybe even 12 months ago.

In the recent past various changes to immigration law has directly affected my case in regards to parts of it having to be re-done or different information gathered,
I think this is relevant to your original question - what happened here?

I personally was denied previously for another visa that had no reason to be denied - it was for the renewal of a visa i previously held for a long time, and to this day all lawyers i speak to are shocked at its denial, because everything was in order.
Again, this is highly relevant - what type of visa was it and what happened? Were you denied outright at the consulate, did you go through AP, did you get a RFE and if so what for? Etc...

There is clearly more to your story which the forum might be able to give thoughtful commentary on.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

O1
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Again, this is highly relevant - what type of visa was it and what happened? Were you denied outright at the consulate, did you go through AP, did you get a RFE and if so what for? Etc...

There is clearly more to your story which the forum might be able to give thoughtful commentary on.
Experiences at US Embassy in London?
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

thanks for that

to the other posters above, my past story is in my past posts. i'm not sure if it's in full, but my question here is just about whether anyone has been issued a visa recently or refused. that's what i'm interested in hearing for this thread. i'll create a separate post based on some of the new changes that have come into effect. i'm assuming those posting that there have been no changes are not currently applying for a visa otherwise you would have known of these changes or seen them on the visa news updates on immigration law websites.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 8:47 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

We have many people going through visa applications here, and many have recently (and not so recently) been through it. I had my IR-1 interview less than 2 years ago so that’s pretty recent. But for the people going for their interview tomorrow the process is almost the same as mine. There have been some modifications to the wording of questions, the medical - fortunately - no longer requires a genitalia check (I was one of the last to have to have this) but other than that, there’s been no change to the law.

To answer your question as to whether anyone has been approved for a visa lately, people are being approved all over the world every day. Thousands every week.

As someone has already mentioned, the O-1 category is different in that it has a lot of borderline cases. My category was IR-1 which is very blank and white - you are either legally married to a USC or you’re not. No shades of grey. O-1 is far more subjective. What constitutes extraordinary ability depends on who’s asking.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What seems to have happened is that a few years back they started cracking down on iffy H1b's,that together with a substantial increase in the number of applicants resulted in a cascade to other types, K and O being the obvious one.

Seems that everyone gets sucked into the greater inspection but if you have a clearly approvable case I doubt the end result will be different.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah I still don't see whether someone else's case has been denied or approved, especially an O-1, would have a material impact on yours.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but if you aren't intending to bring the context of your previous visas into this discussion then I don't see how the context of other visas is at all useful to you. There could be 20 denials and 1 issuance in the last week, but that information is meaningless without the full details of each case. It could be 20 absolute jokers.

Further to that, folks who come here complaining about refusals tend to omit key information initially, and that almost always explains what went wrong. Applying and obtaining US visas is a pretty fair process if you do what's asked of you. It's the people who don't that get into trouble - and yes, whilst the consulates can act with impunity if they really want to, cases where that has genuinely happened are very rare - I can't actually think of one, other than a few extended AP status' in the last few months, which the applicants will probably come out of successfully, and that's what I've already mentioned.

As Boiler says, if you have a clearly approvable case, there isn't much more information gathering you can do that would be meaningfully useful.

i'm assuming those posting that there have been no changes are not currently applying for a visa otherwise you would have known of these changes or seen them on the visa news updates on immigration law websites.
I don't think that assumption could be more incorrect. The users on this forum are some of the most well rehearsed and informed people on the planet when it comes to UK and USA immigration matters, outside of them being attorneys, employees of USCIS or the commander in chief himself.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Applying and obtaining US visas is a pretty fair process if you do what's asked of you.
Off topic but sometimes it's very unfair. I don't know anything about the visa being discussed here but I do know that many people from some non-visawaiver countries who want to visit their relatives and genuinely do not want to stay are unfairly denied based on the false assumption that they want to stay.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vespucci
Off topic but sometimes it's very unfair. I don't know anything about the visa being discussed here but I do know that many people from some non-visawaiver countries who want to visit their relatives and genuinely do not want to stay are unfairly denied based on the false assumption that they want to stay.
My point was intended within the realm of this forum, that being British applicants. You are totally correct in that there are many people who do not have the benefit of clarity and consistency that we do.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 7:59 am
S.F
Just Joined

S.F is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth, I submitted my O1 petition on August 10th 2018 with Premium Processing and had it approved on the 14th. My previous O1 (approved in 2016) took about 2 weeks so I was pleasantly surprised at the speed of response this time around. I have no idea if that's the norm but RFEs at least seem avoidable if your case is solid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.