Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

Old Aug 21st 2003, 1:38 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
tcylinder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 135
tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

August 29th is the 91st day since our money order for our I-485 was cashed. We are thinking about going down the following week and getting it over with. I'm just a little concerned as I never got my register receipt, which I wrote Sen. Schumer's office about, and only have a fair-poor copy of my Postal Money order from the Post Office. You can see who the money order was made out to and what it was for in the memo section. You can also see our A# and the country that my fiance is from which someone wrote on the front. On the back are the various stamps from the bank which happens to be chase in this instance. There seems to be more than one stamp and it is hard to decipher most of the information. But I am able to see the words chase and I see two different dates 8/28 and 8/29. I'm going with the later date just in case as I'd hate to wait all night on the 28th only to be told its the 90th day.

I'm concerned about the entry gaurds not accepting or being able to read the money order's endorsement info even though it is there. I was going to try to enlarge and clean up the back of the money order in photoshop or on the copy machine to show to the gaurd. Of course I have a copy of the entire AOS package that was sent along with a return receipt and the receipts for the money orders. I'm hoping this will be sufficient as I don't even want to think about my reaction to being turned away after camping out all night.

I was thinking of going down there on Monday night around midnight to get in on Tues. morning. I was going to bring a sleeping bag to sit/lay on, a book, walkman, powerbars/water...

Does anyone have any advice or feedback?

Thank you.
tcylinder is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:59 am
  #2  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,503
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

Do not alter or clean up the copy of the money order. You do not have to show it to the security guards to gain entrance to 26 Fed Plaza. You will probably be asked why you are there as they are limiting the number of persons for interim EAD's but they are not qualified to interprete your documentation. It would appear that your money order copy has all of the information that is needed to "prove your case". Was it one money order for all the applications or an individual one just for the EAD? If for all, then bring with you a copy of everything you sent via mail for filing along with any mail receipt you have.

Rete

Originally posted by tcylinder
August 29th is the 91st day since our money order for our I-485 was cashed. We are thinking about going down the following week and getting it over with. I'm just a little concerned as I never got my register receipt, which I wrote Sen. Schumer's office about, and only have a fair-poor copy of my Postal Money order from the Post Office. You can see who the money order was made out to and what it was for in the memo section. You can also see our A# and the country that my fiance is from which someone wrote on the front. On the back are the various stamps from the bank which happens to be chase in this instance. There seems to be more than one stamp and it is hard to decipher most of the information. But I am able to see the words chase and I see two different dates 8/28 and 8/29. I'm going with the later date just in case as I'd hate to wait all night on the 28th only to be told its the 90th day.

I'm concerned about the entry gaurds not accepting or being able to read the money order's endorsement info even though it is there. I was going to try to enlarge and clean up the back of the money order in photoshop or on the copy machine to show to the gaurd. Of course I have a copy of the entire AOS package that was sent along with a return receipt and the receipts for the money orders. I'm hoping this will be sufficient as I don't even want to think about my reaction to being turned away after camping out all night.

I was thinking of going down there on Monday night around midnight to get in on Tues. morning. I was going to bring a sleeping bag to sit/lay on, a book, walkman, powerbars/water...

Does anyone have any advice or feedback?

Thank you.
Rete is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2003, 6:25 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
tcylinder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 135
tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

Originally posted by Rete
Do not alter or clean up the copy of the money order. You do not have to show it to the security guards to gain entrance to 26 Fed Plaza. You will probably be asked why you are there as they are limiting the number of persons for interim EAD's but they are not qualified to interprete your documentation. It would appear that your money order copy has all of the information that is needed to "prove your case". Was it one money order for all the applications or an individual one just for the EAD? If for all, then bring with you a copy of everything you sent via mail for filing along with any mail receipt you have.

Rete
I wasn't going to alter the actual copy. I was going to scan it and enlarge/sharpen the endorsement information and print this out on another sheet of paper just so it is easier to read - like an addenum.

The answer to your question is that I submitted a separate money order for each of the three AOS applications. The only money order copy I have is from the I-485 which I requested from the Post Office to submit for my AP request.

Will I need to get a copy of the money order I submitted for the EAD application as well?

I thought that the i-485 is the main application in the AOS package which, when cashed, begins the 90 day waiting period. Should I be counting the days based on the date on the endorsement on the I-485 money order which is May 28-29 (there are two visible dates on the back of the money order)?

Again, I don't have a yellow receipt and don't think I'll be getting one any time soon if at all. So my logic is that I can bring the copy of the cashed money order which paid for the i-485 and that the officer/clerk at BCIS will reference this date to make sure I am beyond 90 days from filing for AOS. In addition, I will bring a complete copy of all three AOS applications submitted, original money order stubbs/receipts for all three money orders, and a return receipt for the mailing of the package.

Another thing I'm concerned with is that, as of three weeks ago, my I-485 application was not logged into their system according to the woman who processed my AP application. What happens if I'm still not in the system?
tcylinder is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2003, 7:48 am
  #4  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,503
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

Think about it TC. You are going to have to prove that you filed for an EAD. While you can now prove that you are eligible for it, you cannot prove to BCIS/NYC that you applied for an EAD and thus are entitled to the interim one because 90 days have elapsed. But then again, you were able to obtain A/P without that MO so it might be worth a shot. Definitely would find out what happened to the I-485. That is most important.

Rete

Originally posted by tcylinder
I wasn't going to alter the actual copy. I was going to scan it and enlarge/sharpen the endorsement information and print this out on another sheet of paper just so it is easier to read - like an addenum.

The answer to your question is that I submitted a separate money order for each of the three AOS applications. The only money order copy I have is from the I-485 which I requested from the Post Office to submit for my AP request.

Will I need to get a copy of the money order I submitted for the EAD application as well?

I thought that the i-485 is the main application in the AOS package which, when cashed, begins the 90 day waiting period. Should I be counting the days based on the date on the endorsement on the I-485 money order which is May 28-29 (there are two visible dates on the back of the money order)?

Again, I don't have a yellow receipt and don't think I'll be getting one any time soon if at all. So my logic is that I can bring the copy of the cashed money order which paid for the i-485 and that the officer/clerk at BCIS will reference this date to make sure I am beyond 90 days from filing for AOS. In addition, I will bring a complete copy of all three AOS applications submitted, original money order stubbs/receipts for all three money orders, and a return receipt for the mailing of the package.

Another thing I'm concerned with is that, as of three weeks ago, my I-485 application was not logged into their system according to the woman who processed my AP application. What happens if I'm still not in the system?
Rete is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2003, 8:06 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
tcylinder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 135
tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

Originally posted by Rete
Think about it TC. You are going to have to prove that you filed for an EAD. While you can now prove that you are eligible for it, you cannot prove to BCIS/NYC that you applied for an EAD and thus are entitled to the interim one because 90 days have elapsed. But then again, you were able to obtain A/P without that MO so it might be worth a shot. Definitely would find out what happened to the I-485. That is most important.

Rete
I don't understand why I have to prove to BCIS that I applied for an EAD with BCIS? Wouldn't they be able to determine I've applied by referencing our A#? If the EAD is not contigent on an open I-485 application, then they wouldn't have to verify this like with AP and would have my application on file, right?

Yes, I was able to obtain AP by providing a copy of the money order i sent because the AP is contigent on an open I-485 application. Maybe the woman I spoke to was lying about me not being in the system and just wanted me to submit the money order? who knows?

So am I understanding that EAD is not contigent on an open I-485 application? If not, then I am understanding that they start counting the 90 days from the day my separate money order for my EAD application was cashed. If so, I'll have to request a copy of the money order that I used to pay for my EAD which will take 2-3 weeks - no big deal. Once I get that I can go down to attempt to get the EAD with no problem.

Does any of this make sense because I'm confused?
tcylinder is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2003, 8:19 am
  #6  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,503
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

Yes the EAD and A/P are contingent upon a filed I-485. Was your A/P on file on the computer system? If so, then, of course, just the cancelled check for the I-485 would have been sufficient since the A/P being online (thus paid for) you only needed to prove basis for its issuance. This, too, might be the case with the EAD. Perhaps that application is online (and thus paid for) and all you will need is proof of the I-485 being sent and paid for.

There are many people who don't file everything at one time. Some people will only file for I-485 and then later file for EAD and later still for A/P. If they have no online verification that you had filed for AOS and for A/P and for EAD, then you are in a sorry state without cancelled checks.

Rete

Originally posted by tcylinder
I don't understand why I have to prove to BCIS that I applied for an EAD with BCIS? Wouldn't they be able to determine I've applied by referencing our A#? If the EAD is not contigent on an open I-485 application, then they wouldn't have to verify this like with AP and would have my application on file, right?

Yes, I was able to obtain AP by providing a copy of the money order i sent because the AP is contigent on an open I-485 application. Maybe the woman I spoke to was lying about me not being in the system and just wanted me to submit the money order? who knows?

So am I understanding that EAD is not contigent on an open I-485 application? If not, then I am understanding that they start counting the 90 days from the day my separate money order for my EAD application was cashed. If so, I'll have to request a copy of the money order that I used to pay for my EAD which will take 2-3 weeks - no big deal. Once I get that I can go down to attempt to get the EAD with no problem.

Does any of this make sense because I'm confused?
Rete is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2003, 9:11 am
  #7  
Lucia
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Any recent NYC EAD overnight excursions?

I applied for my EAD in January, never received a receipt, and I hav
only just received a letter with my EAD interview, for October 1st.
I went down to Fed. Plaza a few weeks ago - before I had this letter,
and arrived at 6am, finally got in the building at 9am, in line on the
3rd floor by 9:30, told to go down stairs to room 102, the women there
told me they only take the first 50 people who come in, and that
people begin to line up at 6pm the day before. I would sit tight, if
you do go, they will want to see the postal order as evidence that you
have submitted the forms.

Lucia



tcylinder <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > August 29th is the 91st day since our money order for our I-485 was
    > cashed. We are thinking about going down the following week and
    > getting it over with. I'm just a little concerned as I never got my
    > register receipt, which I wrote Sen. Schumer's office about, and only
    > have a fair-poor copy of my Postal Money order from the Post Office.
    > You can see who the money order was made out to and what it was for in
    > the memo section. You can also see our A# and the country that my
    > fiance is from which someone wrote on the front. On the back are the
    > various stamps from the bank which happens to be chase in this
    > instance. There seems to be more than one stamp and it is hard to
    > decipher most of the information. But I am able to see the words chase
    > and I see two different dates 8/28 and 8/29. I'm going with the later
    > date just in case as I'd hate to wait all night on the 28th only to be
    > told its the 90th day.
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm concerned about the entry gaurds not accepting or being able to read
    > the money order's endorsement info even though it is there. I was going
    > to try to enlarge and clean up the back of the money order in photoshop
    > or on the copy machine to show to the gaurd. Of course I have a copy of
    > the entire AOS package that was sent along with a return receipt and the
    > receipts for the money orders. I'm hoping this will be sufficient as I
    > don't even want to think about my reaction to being turned away after
    > camping out all night.
    >
    >
    >
    > I was thinking of going down there on Monday night around midnight to
    > get in on Tues. morning. I was going to bring a sleeping bag to sit/lay
    > on, a book, walkman, powerbars/water...
    >
    >
    >
    > Does anyone have any advice or feedback?
    >
    >
    >
    > Thank you.
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.