Wikiposts

Any problems with US Citizenship

Old Aug 9th 2004, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

sonuvasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any problems with US Citizenship

hi everybody,

Well I have filed for my CR-1 Visa in delhi and i stay in india, my wife is here with me, but in a months time she will be running out of her indian visa that lets her stay for 6 months in one go. I am goin to get her visa extended from indian immigration people, But I wanted to just be clear, Do i need to inform USCIS or any other federal agency and take a prior permission for her to stay in india for more than 6 months in 1 go. Or it doesnt matter whatever duration a US citizen stays outside US in another country.

The greencard people hv to return to US atleast once a year, is there similar sort of rule for USC.

Thanx for all the comments
Old Aug 9th 2004, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any problems with US Citizenship

Originally Posted by sonuvasu
hi everybody,

Well I have filed for my CR-1 Visa in delhi and i stay in india, my wife is here with me, but in a months time she will be running out of her indian visa that lets her stay for 6 months in one go. I am goin to get her visa extended from indian immigration people, But I wanted to just be clear, Do i need to inform USCIS or any other federal agency and take a prior permission for her to stay in india for more than 6 months in 1 go. Or it doesnt matter whatever duration a US citizen stays outside US in another country.

The greencard people hv to return to US atleast once a year, is there similar sort of rule for USC.

Thanx for all the comments
Hi:

First there is no rule that requires a US citizen to be in the US at all. A US citizen can live outside the US with no threat to US status. [Note: they remain subject to US income tax laws on WORLDWIDE income].

I must comment on one thing: you state that "the greencard people hv to return to the US at least once a year" -- that is a dangerous statement akin to "a green card be retained as long as you return once a year." As revised, that statement is a myth. There are reasons why a green card holder may be able to remain outside OVER a year -- but thee is NO SET TIME for abandoment. I have won abandoment cases where a person has been out for SIX YEARS and lost one where a person had been out ONE DAY. The time out of the country is but one factor in determining intent to abandon.