Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any advantages or disadvantages to file I-751 waiver asap

Wikiposts

Any advantages or disadvantages to file I-751 waiver asap

Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:38 am
Just Joined

lunasol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advantages or disadvantages to file I-751 waiver asap

My conditional GC expires next Feb. My divorce with my USC wife will be finalized in a week. I lost my student visa and subsequent OPT privilege because of my conditional GC. My company will not sponsor H1B work visa.

I do want to work for this company as long as I can to save enough money to go back to school again.

My question is:
Can I file my I-751 waiver 6-8 months later but 90 days before expiration of my CGC so that I can take advantage of the 1 year extension of NOA?

Or I should file it asap and hope my case gets approved?

Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advantages or disadvantages to file I-751 waiver asap

Originally Posted by lunasol
My conditional GC expires next Feb. My divorce with my USC wife will be finalized in a week. I lost my student visa and subsequent OPT privilege because of my conditional GC. My company will not sponsor H1B work visa.

I do want to work for this company as long as I can to save enough money to go back to school again.

My question is:
Can I file my I-751 waiver 6-8 months later but 90 days before expiration of my CGC so that I can take advantage of the 1 year extension of NOA?

Or I should file it asap and hope my case gets approved?

Thanks
You will receive the one year extension letter either way.

It's your choice when to file the I-751, during that 90-day window or anytime before.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, Rene.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:12 am
Just Joined

I just consulted with a lawyer. He said that once my divorce is final, I will be out of status even my conditional green card expires next Feb. Is that true?
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:43 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I just consulted with a lawyer. He said that once my divorce is final, I will be out of status even my conditional green card expires next Feb. Is that true?
Make sure you understood what is being talked about. Out of status and an illegal overstay are not necessarily the same thing.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:05 am
Just Joined

He said the status may be terminated on condition of dissolution of the marriage. I am just very confused and I have not fully collected all evidence yet.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

He said that once my divorce is final, I will be out of status even my conditional green card expires next Feb. Is that true?
No.

He said the status may be terminated on condition of dissolution of the marriage.
Either he is an idiot, or you didn't fully understand what was being said. Your status doesn't terminate on dissolution of the marriage.

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:38 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of lawyer was this? Hopefully not an immigration lawyer.

If it was an immigration lawyer, get a second opinion.

Regards, JEff

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The definition of "lawful permanent residence" is having been accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States, such status not having changed. Sec 101(a)(20) INA. Termination of conditional status requires an affirmative action by the Government [the Act still refers to "Attorney General," but it now done by the DHS]. Sec 237(a)(1)(D) provides for removability once conditional status is terminated.

By the way, LPR employment authorization does NOT, repeat NOT, expire with the card. If one is already employed, the employer need not reverify employment authorization. There is nothing preventing OP from continuing to work for his present employer.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:08 am
Just Joined

unfortunately, he is an immigration lawyer. It was very intimidating to send out a link like that.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:19 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately, he is an immigration lawyer. It was very intimidating to send out a link like that.
I tend to be pedantic.

However, either the lawyer is wrong or you misunderstood her quite badly.

BTW, when I was in practice, I would file sooner rather than later. My belief is that it is a show of good faith to the Dark Forces and it is done while memory is fresh. I once did this for a case the marriage broke up within six months [and one month after granting conditional status] -- it was approved within a week without an interview. I was shocked, but my judgment was validated big time!

As a lawyer, I considered this a win-win situation. Good for the client and I collected a fee a lot sooner.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 22nd 2013 at 5:22 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:24 am
Just Joined

I started two threads on the forum apparently talking about the same thing. Here is the link that I posted in the other thread.

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/S...-0-0-4223.html

Thanks for all comments.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:28 am
BE Commentator

I started two threads on the forum apparently talking about the same thing. Here is the link that I posted in the other thread.

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/S...-0-0-4223.html

Thanks for all comments.
The link includes one of the provisions I referred to above, albeit without citation. Take a look at 216(c)(2)(A). Curiously, my copy of the Act from West Publishing says "Attorney General" while government link notes the "Secretary." Also, the formatting of the link is wrong. To make sure that I was reading it correctly, I took a look at my 1995 official pamphlet from the Government Printing Office. The hard paper copies of the Act are inconsistent with the formatting of the on-line part.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 22nd 2013 at 5:32 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:31 am
Just Joined

I want to file as soon as I collect all evidence as well. But since I will move to a different city in four months to work.

If an interview was requested, do I need to fly back to my current city (Chicago) to interview? Assuming it might take more than 4 months before I hear anything.

Also, what are good criteria for hiring a good immigration attorney who has experience in I-751 waiver cases? I feel quality of lawyers is all over the place.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 7:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for pointing out that detail.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
... Termination of conditional status requires an affirmative action by the Government ...