Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another VWP question - 4 times in a year?

Another VWP question - 4 times in a year?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

shego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another VWP question - 4 times in a year?

Hello..

I went to NYC for new years eve 08/09 for 2 weeks, i also went to west coast mar/april for 10 days. Both to visit a girlfriend. I used 'girlfriend' when the POE asked why I was visiting, was this a mistake? I'm planning on going again in June/July for 2/3 weeks and then disneyland at the end of august for 2/3 weeks?

Is this okay? i'm just nervous as it could be deemed as 'suspicious' - and i have no ties to the UK anymore now that im graduating in a month?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another VWP question - 4 times in a year?

Nobody can say for sure, but you'll likely be fine. The long gaps and short visits will be in your favour. I would suggest saying you are visiting disneyland / wherever with a friend or friends (as long as this is the truth!) rather than mentioning that she is your girlfriend.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

I also visited in aug/sept for 4 weeks.

I'm, pardon my french, crapping my pants at the thought of being rejected?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the same situation. It's scary. Try not to worry, there really isn't much you can do. The odds are in your favour.

If you can get some kind of ties, that can't hurt. Job offer? (even if it's not your first choice)
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shego
I'm, pardon my french, crapping my pants at the thought of being rejected?
Do you know what it entails? You should; prepare yourself now so that it won't be a pant-crapping experience for you.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Do you know what it entails? You should; prepare yourself now so that it won't be a pant-crapping experience for you.
Haha. Your way of saying it could easily happen?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, quite frankly, yes. Only US citizens have the right to enter the US. Even Permanent Residents can be denied (though this is most likely rare).

What Mo is probably trying to say is that you need to understand the ramifications of being denied entry. Depending on any future immigrant intent, being denied entry could have pitfalls for future visas. If you research and arm yourself with some knowledge, it may not be such a pant-crapping experience.

Hey, that would be a good tag-line for an amusement park thrill ride! It's a 'pants crapping experience!'
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did the CBP ever give you any trouble / take you to secondary on your visits so far?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

More my way of saying: if you're serious (and you should be) then do some real reading on it, and don't use words like 'rejected'.

If you are refused admission, and with the VWP it can be for virtually any or no 'reason' that you see, you are allowed to withdraw your request to be admitted and you're sent home. This will have future implications for your travel.

You've been making a lot of trips here and you have a romantic interest. It's probably time to start studying on what you're going to do with your future, immigration-wise, so you can lay the correct groundwork now and not learn it while you're sitting in detention waiting for a flight home.

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hey, that would be a good tag-line for an amusement park thrill ride! It's a 'pants crapping experience!'

I think I've been on that one....
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by henryh
Did the CBP ever give you any trouble / take you to secondary on your visits so far?
Cheers all.

No trouble. It honestly just intrigues me, as in, if i said 'visiting girlfriend' do they take a note? I know after some reading you shouldnt give over 'extra info' , ergo would it be wise to say 'holiday, seeing sights' or 'visiting friends' on the next visit?

meauxna, thanks for the advice - we have been reading up (investor, no. h1b, maybe, but with the current market in the industry i will graduate in it doesnt look likely. extraordinary ability, i doubt it), but put it on hold due to the amount of academic work I have due for next month. We come to the conclusion that marriage is out of the question, but we don't want to end our 2 year relationship at the hands of immigration issues - so ultimately we will long distance it, or travel to another country for an extended period of time so we can extend our options/feelings. it is ultimately reading up that brought me here - i didn't want to be penalised for a frequent amount of visits! And i'd reeeally like to see her graduate!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:32 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I think Meauxna's ideas are good ones, here. You need to look ahead a little. Plan for the worst; hope for the best. I have had clients denied admission, and they have had to return to their countries, go to the AmEmb to explain themselves, get a visa (no more VWP), and then come back.

As to your situation: three or four trips to the USA in a year, of 2-4 weeks duration each -- well, that's probably OK, but you're right on the line. The explanation -- "girlfriend" -- is probably OK, but if you keep up this pattern for another year, the safe money would say that you'll be stopped sometime. Why? Because at some point, the border guards will wonder why you haven't progressed to some next step.

Yes, I know: it's very subjective. If it's timely to do so, you and your girlfriend should probably have a good talk. Depending on your age and circumstances and your entrepreneurial spirit, there are various work-based visas out there. And then, of course, there is the K-1 Fiancé visa and the CR-1/6 Green card. Best wishes.

--J Craig Fong
Los Angeles, CA
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:35 pm

Good man, glad to see that you're looking ahead (you're more organized than 90% of the folk that drop by with similar questions).

Not sure why marriage is out of the question (my own famous last words, lol) but you've neglected the L visa.. that is a more secure (?) option than the H-1B. If you reveal your industry, you may find some other posters here with ideas..

As for the travel.. there are just no guarantees. You seem aware of the negatives weighing against you.. I'd just say, don't make any plans for future future trips that you can't bear/afford to break. (like Disney)
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Haha. Marriage; maybe i jumped the gun, but at 21 years of age I just don't think it's wise.

Industry is publishing - newspapers, magazines, media in general are struggling because of the obvious. I'm hoping my thesis stands out (it's 'original') and puts me above other graduates. but here's hoping. I doubt media outlets would go to the effort of sorting a H1B for a young kid out of uni.

Didnt quite understand that last phrase 'bear/afford to break'?

Cheers guys! I'll just hope for the next trip. it does make me upset though.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't *think* they record your stated reason of travel - especially if you don't go to secondary. Would love to hear if someone knows for sure one way or the other.

My story:
12 month stay on a student J1
10 days in the UK
80-something days on VWP (no trouble at entry)
4 days in the UK
Reentered on VWP, stated "visiting girlfriend", was given a significant talking-to in secondary but allowed in. Stayed about 40 days.
4 months in UK
6 days in USA on VWP. Stated "visiting friends". Was taken to secondary but not given any trouble.
5 weeks in UK
3 weeks in USA on VWP. CBP saw an old visa I had for flight training, asked about it and I said that I was here that time to do some cheap flying (which was true, though I was also seeing girlfriend). No trouble, didn't even get taken to secondary.

Now I'm back in the UK and pursuing an H-1B. Hopefully I won't have to use the VWP again any time soon. I don't like the fear factor, but you haven't been pushing your luck nearly as much as some people do.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:53 pm

Haha. Marriage; maybe i jumped the gun, but at 21 years of age I just don't think it's wise.

Industry is publishing - newspapers, magazines, media in general are struggling because of the obvious. I'm hoping my thesis stands out (it's 'original') and puts me above other graduates. but here's hoping. I doubt media outlets would go to the effort of sorting a H1B for a young kid out of uni.

Didnt quite understand that last phrase 'bear/afford to break'?

Cheers guys! I'll just hope for the next trip. it does make me upset though.
I meant, don't pay for any activities, or set yourself up emotionally for a visit that you may have to miss (if you are refused entry).

I know it's not what you'd be used to if you two were from/living in the same country, but immigration laws around the world can't keep up with the technological changes that have brought us in more constant contact with Ferriners. Therefore, we international couples just don't have the same options we would if we were dating our Own Kind.
It did clarify a lot of choices for me, personally. And I agree that 21 is very young.. no argument from me, or pushes to marry.

I notice that JCF has posted for you, and another of his posts today about an I visa.. something you might consider is a conversation with an immigration attorney (a consultation) so you can learn about options that are not popularly discussed online, but could have merit for YOUR situation.
There are also J visas for new graduates, and a couple of other options if you really want to give it a shot in the US.
As you'll hopefully find out in your new future, it's worth to pay someone for their talent, experience and information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.