Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another VWP question - 4 times in a year?

Another VWP question - 4 times in a year?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another VWP question - 4 times in a year?

Originally Posted by shego
Hello..

I went to NYC for new years eve 08/09 for 2 weeks, i also went to west coast mar/april for 10 days. Both to visit a girlfriend. I used 'girlfriend' when the POE asked why I was visiting, was this a mistake? I'm planning on going again in June/July for 2/3 weeks and then disneyland at the end of august for 2/3 weeks?

Is this okay? i'm just nervous as it could be deemed as 'suspicious' - and i have no ties to the UK anymore now that im graduating in a month?
Hi:

You are making SHORT visits. This actually looks good.

The question that many people post here are along the lines of "I spend 89 days" in Winter, another 90 days in Summer, I've been back in the UK for 3 weeks and I'm really horny -- can I return to be with my beloved for 89 days?"

That said, there are no set "rules" -- it is up the discretion of the POE officer. One advantage of using the VW is that a refusal of admission does not count as a formal removal. You simply lose the right to use the VW in the future.

[The VW program was created in 1986 when you had to have a visa to come in. The VW signed away certain statutory rights. However, the statutory rights were pretty much written out of the law in 1996. So the VW has you sign away procedural rights you don't have anyways any longer.]

Bottom line -- one cannot tell what will happen. But your situation looks better than most.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I used to come to the US 4 or 5 times a year for business with most trips lasting 10 - 14 days (with the occasional shorter one). Never, ever had any issues. Didn't know what 'secondary' was until I K-1'd (see how I can Americanize word now! That ain't a noun that can't be verbed in American!)
Came to the US with a UK friend to hike in Yosemite a few years ago (pre-911). By mistake he ticked "yes" to all the questions on CIMT, terrorist activity etc. The smiling immigration official handed his I-94W back and said "I think you may have made a mistake or 2". My friend corrected the form and he was let in without further comment. Wonder if that would happen now.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shego, not sure if this will help you at all, but here is a list of my travel dates and time spent in the US.

July 19th 2007, stayed 7 days.

September 19th 2007, Stayed 7 days.

January 5th 2008, Stayed 11 days.

May 6th 2008, stayed 15 days.

June 11th 2008, for 34 days.

September 17th 2008, for 21 days.

February 13th 2009, for 14 days.

I am leaving the UK May 13th for my longest trip yet undecided between 7 and 9 weeks. I have never been taken to secondary questioning, on 2 occasions so far when asked if the friend I was visiting was female I have been winked and smiled at and told to have a good time and make her happy. My advice would be to always travel with the knowledge that you have no right to enter the US, there is always a possibility of being turned away and refused entry. Never lie to a POE officer answer all questions as they are asked and do not elaborate on your answers. Good luck with your future travel plans.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

we arrived yesterday for our 5th visit of 2 weeks in less than ayear.

the POE officer at orlando enquired as to the purpose of our visit- father in laws 60th birthday treat,first time in US - wished him a great time, commented " 2 weeks isnt really enough " (I was so close to saying -well stamp it forever then) ,hummed a classical melody all the way through the 3 minute process and advised us to enjoy the sun and have a great vacation .

if only we could pick him every time
Old May 7th 2009, 10:43 pm
ihe
Forum Regular

ihe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You are making SHORT visits. This actually looks good.

The question that many people post here are along the lines of "I spend 89 days" in Winter, another 90 days in Summer, I've been back in the UK for 3 weeks and I'm really horny -- can I return to be with my beloved for 89 days?"
<snip>

Bottom line -- one cannot tell what will happen. But your situation looks better than most.
I have been making these sort of trips repeatedly for the last 8 years. Last year I've had a J-1 where I spent 12 months which I immediately followed up with a VWP on which I stayed 1 more month.

The year before I stayed 4 months on a B-2.

Outside of that I have regularly visited the US on a VWP up to 3 times a year and typically for 4 weeks a time (Easter/Christmas).

Now for half that time I've been at University. I say I am a mature student visiting my gf and I am going back after my visit to complete my degree. Once or twice I've been asked if I plan to get married - answer no.

With 2 exceptions I have been waved on my way without fuss. Both times this happened when I routed my flight via Charlotte NC and on each occasion was detained in secondary. I said I was a student in the UK - I showed student Id and when they searched my bags they saw a ton of books.

My experience is that if your story adds up - you'll be ok ... but of course thats just my experience.

PS I don't advise travelling arriving in Charlotte.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

funny enough the only time i have ever had a problem in over 30 visits was...charlotte.

to quote the lovely POE ' boy this is ma country and if i don wanna let ya in I aint gonna' and then sent us to the back of the line so we missed our connection !!
Old May 8th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
funny enough the only time i have ever had a problem in over 30 visits was...charlotte.

to quote the lovely POE ' boy this is ma country and if i don wanna let ya in I aint gonna' and then sent us to the back of the line so we missed our connection !!
You should have worn the NASCAR tee shirt