Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another soon-to-be US citizen joins the ranks!

Wikiposts

Another soon-to-be US citizen joins the ranks!

Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another soon-to-be US citizen joins the ranks!

Originally Posted by danfan
Congrats!

I didn't know they still asked "are you willing to give up citizenship from your home country?" because the department of state says you don't have to give up your citizenship of birth.
Are you sure....don't you have to say on the Oath "I revoke all other citizenships" or similar?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Are you sure....don't you have to say on the Oath "I revoke all other citizenships" or similar?
The wording is on the N-400 form. You are *not* revoking your citizenship. You are revoking your *allegiance*. Big whopping difference. Besides, the US Oath of Allegiance is *not* binding on any other country.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oath of Allegiance for Naturalized Citizens

Oath of Allegiance

The oath of allegiance is:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

In some cases, USCIS allows the oath to be taken without the clauses:

". . .that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by law. . ."
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
... because the department of state says you don't have to give up your citizenship of birth.
Generally, you're right... you don't. However, there are a few countries (not the US) that allow you to have only *one* citizenship. For those few, if someone becomes a US citizen, they automatically lose the citizenship of their former country. But this isn't something that the US is doing to them... rather, their former country does it to them.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Late to the party. Congratulations.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The wording is on the N-400 form. You are *not* revoking your citizenship. You are revoking your *allegiance*. Big whopping difference. Besides, the US Oath of Allegiance is *not* binding on any other country.

Ian
Oh, I know its just words and not binding in any way...but I suppose if the interviewing officer asks you, the smart answer would be to say yes, wouldn't it?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Oh, I know its just words and not binding in any way...but I suppose if the interviewing officer asks you, the smart answer would be to say yes, wouldn't it?
I think the pertinent issue is that when you become a U.S. citizen then as far as the United States is concerned, you are solely a U.S. citizen.

What dealings you may have with foreign governments are of no concern to the United States provided they do not affect your obligations as a United States citizen.