Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another soon-to-be US citizen joins the ranks!

Wikiposts

Another soon-to-be US citizen joins the ranks!

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Another soon-to-be US citizen joins the ranks!

The interview/test took less than 15 minutes. We got there around 12:45 for the 1:30 appt time, and he was called back around 1:45. DH said the woman asked him questions directly out of the booklet received at biometrics, asked him to confirm personal information, including how long had he lived here, how long had we been married and had either of us been married before. She did not ask to see any additional documentation or information. She asked if he'd been arrested or cited, and he told her he was ticketed for speeding 2 years ago. She asked what the fine was, and he told her what he paid and that he also went to Traffic School. She asked if he was lighter on the pedal now and he of course said "Yes". She also asked the questions "are you willing to fight for your country?" and "are you willing to give up citizenship from your home country?" He was told that the oath ceremony site varies each month, so there wasn't a guarantee that his would be where we live, which would be so convenient for us (we have a Federal Courthouse here). The woman told him that February's ceremony was full (it's in Lexington) and she thought January's was as well (Frankfort). She said it would probably be March, and she didn't know where that was going to be held. She also mentioned that they are always on a Friday (if this has been mentioned before by people here, I never paid attention to it).

DH couldn't remember all the questions from the test, but remembered these:

*Who said "Give me liberty or give me death"?
*Name 3 of the original 13 colonies
*What is the highest court in the country?
*How many stripes are on the flag and what do they represent?
*What was the first holiday Americans celebrated?

She also asked him if he thought American women were as pretty as English women, to which he replied "I think they both are pretty, but my wife is the prettiest of them all". She laughed and said "You certainly know the right answer to give there!".

We celebrated by going to the mall for a bit of shopping and a meal. Am glad this is all about over. DH is excited about being able to vote in the upcoming election.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another soon-to-be US citizen joins the ranks!

Originally Posted by psychobabbler1
T
*What was the first holiday Americans celebrated?
Hi:

This one got me -- my first reaction was Thanksgiving, but then I realized it did not become a holiday until the Civil War. Ruling out Christmas as religious, my second guess is the Independence Day [July 4th].
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:19 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Let me be one of the first to say congratulations! Hopefully, we're not too far behind you two.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Mr. F, the question actually is "What holiday was celebrated for the first time by American colonists?", so Thanksgiving is the correct answer. DH paraphrased the question when he told me, so he went back and looked it up to get the actual question for me to post.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psychobabbler1
She also mentioned that they are always on a Friday (if this has been mentioned before by people here, I never paid attention to it).
I had to look back at the calendar to confirm this, but sure enough, my oath ceremony was on a Friday... at the Federal Courthouse in Lexington!

Congratulations to you both!

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks SG and Ian!

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratualtions! He will be able to vote this year!!! Last day to register is Oct 7 I think;

I hope my interview goes as well as it did for you ... ... since I will be going to Louisville myself.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!! I bet it's sucha load off knowing you won't have to deal USCIS ever again!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations guys......
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really niceBonnie and Dennis French is just really nice

Congratulations. I am being sworn in on January 23 in Melbourne FL. It is lovely to know the light at the end of the tunnel is the end of the tunnel and not the Immigration train!!
Bonnie
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!

I didn't know they still asked "are you willing to give up citizenship from your home country?" because the department of state says you don't have to give up your citizenship of birth.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Aycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud of

Congratulations!

End of a long, long, road!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.