Another B2 and ESTA denial

Old May 24th 2012, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Kall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another B2 and ESTA denial

Hey guys,

So I know there's a few of these and I think I know the answer, but I just wanted to check so I'm not always wondering.

Sometime last year I started saving to visit Los Angeles, CA. I'm a dancer and that is the main place to visit for intense training so I set myself a challenge to get there and do 5-6 months training from Summer 2012.

I found out a lot of friends from a different city were also going so we got together and rented a house for a couple of months. My housemate then decided to do camp America which would be a month or so after, so I decided (admittedly, without much research) that it would be best to apply for a B2 visa so I can travel America for a few weeks with my friend. I applied and interviewed in January for a B2 visa and was ofcourse denied (because I didn't have strong enough ties - I didn't take proof of address or job). So I spent the next few months solidifying my travel plans and compiling proof of as much as I could ready for another interview . This included getting:

A signed letter from my employer on letter headed paper saying that I’d be coming back to work.
The tenancy agreement from the property I will be renting as of July.
A complete budget list in £ and $ explaining all my expenses and what I will be spending it on.
Proof of finances complete with my last 5 wage slips.
Letter from my parents supporting my trip and saying they will pay for an emergency plane ticket home should any financial shortfall occur.
Parents proof of address and income.
Quotes for flights and travel/health insurance.
Proof of activities – dance studio schedules, comic-con info and tickets etc.

A few days ago I interviewed again. The first thing they said was that with me being young and having lots of transferrable skills, the Embassy are always going to think I intend to stay forever and work, especially with the destination being LA and my job being (in administration) in the dance industry. They didn’t look at any of my documentation (the letter from my employer highlights my visit is to improve job prospects with the intention of teaching dance for my current employer). I asked the interviewer if I’d still be able to get a Visa Waiver (so I could at least take a short holiday) and he said he didn’t know and that being declined a visa would count against me.

I thought I might aswell try apply for an ESTA and it was declined. I've now booked tickets for Dance Camps in Europe from late July to early Sept but still have the housing in LA from June-July. I'm guessing the answer is wait at least 6 months. But even in 6 months I'm going to be young and have good job prospects so will it have to be a <90 day trip next year?

Sorry this was so long and thank you for your time.

- Kall
Old May 24th 2012, 5:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another B2 and ESTA denial

Originally Posted by Kall
I thought I might aswell try apply for an ESTA and it was declined.
This was a predictable outcome.

I'm guessing the answer is wait at least 6 months. But even in 6 months I'm going to be young and have good job prospects so will it have to be a <90 day trip next year?
Six months seems to be the minimum for ESTA to clear after a B-2 denial. It seems, however, that you now have two B-2 denials on your record... so ESTA might take longer to clear.

Ian
Old May 24th 2012, 6:16 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

But even in 6 months I'm going to be young and have good job prospects so will it have to be a <90 day trip next year?
At least, as Ian says, once ESTA has been authorised that is.

Good luck.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

On a side note, none of the documents you listed really show strong ties to the UK. If you ever apply for any visa again, I would suggest consulting a lawyer to help you so you don't screw yourself over again.
Old May 24th 2012, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Hey guys,

Thank you for your help =] I'll just try again next year with the ESTA, not quite confident with the whole lawyer thing. My friends want me to ring up or appeal with DHS TRIP because another person in our party got declined an ESTA but got the decision overturned by calling. Would that make things worse?
Old May 24th 2012, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would that make things worse?
No.

Ian
Old May 31st 2012, 10:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
On a side note, none of the documents you listed really show strong ties to the UK.
Disagree, a lot of the stuff listed is on the info sheet for the visa application.
Old May 31st 2012, 10:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

My friends want me to ring up or appeal with DHS TRIP because another person in our party got declined an ESTA but got the decision overturned by calling. Would that make things worse?
DHS-TRIP won't help you, it's the State Dept. that said no, DHS-TRIP is for problems with CBP. It's used principally for people who keep getting misidentified, or don't think they should be the watch list.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks Steve, e-mailed DHS TRIP and they said you can appeal the ESTA via them but I decided not to. I've organised a great summer without America so I'll hopefully just apply for an ESTA this time next year and get accepted =]

Thanks again for all the help guys, have a great summer.