Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

"Anchor" Baby and Parent's Work Visa

"Anchor" Baby and Parent's Work Visa

Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Anchor" Baby and Parent's Work Visa

Originally Posted by Marocco
That's incorrect. A USC child gives no advantages to an illegal immigrant.

Only for the first five years or until the age of 65 (whichever is longer). After that PR's are allowed to buy Medicare coverage.
Which is high cost and supplemental private healthcare is needed as well.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carlt
Does an "Anchor" Baby confer any US work visa benefits to it's parent(s)?
Hi:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt in not realizing that "anchor baby" is an extremely pejorative term. And in this case, Google is not your friend in getting good valid information.

Answering your question straight up -- your child would be a US citizen at birth. YOU would get no advantage whatsoever until the child turns 21.

Rather than reading those misleading articles that Google brings up, I suggest you have your wife read the 1897 case of Wong Kim Ark from the US Supreme Court. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/sea...9_0649_ZO.html

By the way, the 1897 is not a typo. It pays to remember that those Justices had living memory of the US Civil War where the issues of "Citizenship" in general were a large part contributing to the death 675,000 americans.

Also note that those articles tend to misquote Senator Howard.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can always go for a week and change the return date.

And there are cases I have come across that suggest a reluctance to deport the Mother of a minor USC, but not the Father.
Hi:

They do deport mother's of US citizens. All the time.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

They do deport mother's of US citizens. All the time.
I have certainly see one case where they did not.

And off topic, but Anchor Baby is undoubtedly inaccurate, but pejorative?

May be a Californian thing.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:56 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Have a look here, it's the basic pricing for the #5 childrens hospital in the US, #2 for neonatal care. You want to be looking at Case Medical Center and sections Rainbow Babies and Children and Macdonald Gynecological and Obstetrics as well as the labor and delivery charges. Keep in mind, these are for the very basic essentials and don't include any of the staffing fees (which will be several people for a birth), any supplies (which will run you a lot for a birth) or anything should a problem, even a minor one, crop up.
HOLY SH*T!! My OH and I are trying for a baby right now and that list of numbers has just scared the b*jesus out of me.

Thank goodness for his health insurance... hopefully we'll end up paying less than that, but still.... cripes.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
HOLY SH*T!! My OH and I are trying for a baby right now and that list of numbers has just scared the b*jesus out of me.

Thank goodness for his health insurance... hopefully we'll end up paying less than that, but still.... cripes.
The hospital is a non profit so I don't know if that lowers the price comparatively or not. My wife will be utilizing there delivery services in a few months so we'll see what the final cost is. So far it's been minimal but the insurance claims have not been! Luckily the insurance is provided courtesy of said hospital so it is very much in network and covers everything we need. Well, so far and as far as I can see.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
And off topic, but Anchor Baby is undoubtedly inaccurate, but pejorative?

May be a Californian thing.
Would you like to be called that? Or have your child called that?
I think it's a pejorative as well, but I did grow up in California so maybe that IS it. (I doubt it)

It *was* an accurate term, at one time btw.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Would you like to be called that? Or have your child called that?
I think it's a pejorative as well, but I did grow up in California so maybe that IS it. (I doubt it)

It *was* an accurate term, at one time btw.
We had this discussion before
West coast don't like it
East coast don't care ...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:17 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
We had this discussion before
West coast don't like it
East coast don't care ...
I wouldn't have thought Anchor Babies would work that well, being as they are kind of pudgy, ie. fat, and therefore buoyant.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I wouldn't have thought Anchor Babies would work that well, being as they are kind of pudgy, ie. fat, and therefore buoyant.
Your thinking Anchor Butter ..... you know ..proper butter
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:28 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

The hospital is a non profit so I don't know if that lowers the price comparatively or not. My wife will be utilizing there delivery services in a few months so we'll see what the final cost is. So far it's been minimal but the insurance claims have not been! Luckily the insurance is provided courtesy of said hospital so it is very much in network and covers everything we need. Well, so far and as far as I can see.
Good luck! You'll have to keep a running tally when the bills come through the door (or mailbox... or whatever system they have out here) and see what the final figure turns out to be. If you feel like being frightened out of having another child, that is.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
You'll have to keep a running tally when the bills come through the door
Every statement and EOB is filed away. Maybe I'll tally everything up and post it here when people ask how much pregnancy costs in the US.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:51 pm
Ginger Monkey

Every statement and EOB is filed away. Maybe I'll tally everything up and post it here when people ask how much pregnancy costs in the US.
Good thinkin'. I know I'll be interested when the time comes.

Thanks for link, btw. V. useful!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

carlt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marocco
That's incorrect. A USC child gives no advantages to an illegal immigrant.
The advantage I see is that an illegal immigrant who is willing to live on welfare for 20 years will experience an improved standard of living and is highly unlikely to ever be deported, especially the mother of a USC child.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlt
The advantage I see is that an illegal immigrant who is willing to live on welfare for 20 years will experience an improved standard of living and is highly unlikely to ever be deported, especially the mother of a USC child.

See the post above by MrF. The US gov't can and does deport parents of USC's. It is by no means unusual. USCIS has no compassion an illegal immigrants' predicament. The parent will not be able to remain here, so he/she would be given 2 options: give the baby up and leave it here in the US, or get deported and take the baby with you.

How does an illegal immigrant obtain welfare from the government? Is it your government policy to extend welfare to illegals? I know in my city, it is not extended in any way (at least not that I am aware of) to an illegal immigrant. I'm also about 100% certain that any type of federal welfare (is there even such a thing?) help is also not extended to an illegal immigrant. So what welfare is that illegal going to get, that will help them live here for 20 years?

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 5th 2008 at 8:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.