Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

American wife & child....what about me?

American wife & child....what about me?

Old Jan 27th 2001, 4:51 pm
Ollie Barton

Im British, my wife is American who recently gave birth to our first child in the UK. Due
to the fact that his mother is American, he qualifies for dual citizenship. I've heard
that due to the fact my wife & child are both citizens, I can also qualify. Is this
correct or total rubbish ??

Old Jan 27th 2001, 6:28 pm
Onigiri

Im British, my wife is American who recently gave birth to our first
> child in the UK. Due to the fact that his mother is American, he qualifies for dual
> citizenship. I've heard that due to the fact my wife & child are both citizens, I can
> also qualify.
"Due to the fact that" you waited until the baby is safely out to ask this question, did
you think that you need to make a baby before you "qualified"?
> Is this correct or total rubbish ??
There are many many grades between correct and total rubbish.

Old Jan 27th 2001, 6:53 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Ollie Barton wrote:
> Im British, my wife is American who recently gave birth to our first child in the UK.
> Due to the fact that his mother is American, he qualifies for dual citizenship. I've
> heard that due to the fact my wife & child are both citizens, I can also qualify. Is
> this correct or total rubbish ??

Mostly rubbish, however it's not quite as simple as filing a form or anything like that.
For a non-citizen, the steps to citizenship are
1. permanent resident
2.and then 3 years later...citizen.

Obtaining US citizenship does not happen quickly, bear that in mind...and in order for you
to get it, you first have to live in the US. You first have to become a permanent resident
of the US for 3 years, when based on marriage, and then after 3 years (well, really 2
years and 9 months), you can apply for citizenship (and wait another year or so to get
it). So we are looking at the better part of 5 years before you are a citizen of the US.

If you want to become a permanent resident, you would first have to come to the US....in
order to come to the US, your US citizen wife would have to file an I-130 for you at the
London US consulate, and expect a wait of a around a couple/three months. That same US
citizen wife would have to file an affidavit of support for you to ensure that you did not
become a public charge in the US.

IF you have a criminal background, you may (or may not, depending on how serious the
crimes were) have difficulty immigrating to the US at all. If you have HIV/AIDs, or some
other serious degenerative disease which would likely put you in a nursing home soon, you
probably cannot immigrate to the US. If you lie about anything during the immigration
process, and US INS finds it out, you cannot become a permanent resident of the US. IF you
commit a serious crime *after* you get into the US, you can get kicked out of the US
forever, before ever getting citizenship.

If you would like for your child to sponsor you instead of your wife, he cannot do so
until he is 21 years old.

If you would like to find out more about moving to the US, see this page:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/2806/ or
http://home.cinci.rr.com/philjohnson/i130nf.htm

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 27th 2001, 7:53 pm
Grinch

| If you would like for your child to sponsor you instead of your wife, he cannot do so
| until he is 21 years old.

I love this!

Grinch

Old Jan 27th 2001, 10:25 pm
Donna Maindrault

In article <[email protected]>, Onigiri <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Im British, my wife is American who recently gave birth to our first child in the UK.
> > Due to the fact that his mother is American, he qualifies for dual citizenship. I've
> > heard that due to the fact my wife & child are both citizens, I can also qualify.

> "Due to the fact that" you waited until the baby is safely out to ask this question, did
> you think that you need to make a baby before you "qualified"?

Why the hostility?

-Donna

Old Jan 27th 2001, 10:47 pm
Onigiri

> > > Im British, my wife is American who recently gave birth to our
first
> > > child in the UK. Due to the fact that his mother is American, he
qualifies
> > > for dual citizenship. I've heard that due to the fact my wife & child
are
> > > both citizens, I can also qualify.
>
> > "Due to the fact that" you waited until the baby is safely out to
ask
> > this question, did you think that you need to make a baby before you "qualified"?
>
> Why the hostility?
>
> -Donna
What hostility ? We love this guy !! We just need clarification.

Old Jan 28th 2001, 8:36 am
Ollie Barton

You don't even know me, your comment was completely uncalled for. I was simply asking the
question because when I enquired about my baby's passport, the guy at the passport office
said I may also qualify. I'm really not that bothered about it, i was just asking because
i've never heard of this before. Don't ever make a comment like that again without
knowing the facts. I've been happily married for 4 years, thats why we had a baby you
ignorant idiot .

> In article <[email protected]>,

> > In article <[email protected]>, Onigiri
> <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > > Im British, my wife is American who recently gave birth to our
> first
> > > > child in the UK. Due to the fact that his mother is American, he
> qualifies
> > > > for dual citizenship. I've heard that due to the fact my wife & child
> are
> > > > both citizens, I can also qualify.
> >
> > > "Due to the fact that" you waited until the baby is safely out to
> ask
> > > this question, did you think that you need to make a baby before you "qualified"?
> >
> > Why the hostility?
> >
> > -Donna
> What hostility ? We love this guy !! We just need clarification.

Old Jan 28th 2001, 3:00 pm
Onigiri

> >
> > > Why the hostility?
> > >
> > > -Donna
> > What hostility ? We love this guy !! We just need clarification.

Old Jan 28th 2001, 4:24 pm
Ollie Barton

The different is that mine was JUSTIFIED hostility !!

> In article <[email protected]>,

>
> > I've been happily married for 4 years, thats why we had a baby you ignorant idiot .
>
> There ! Now, that is hostility !!
>
>

> > > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > >
> > > > Why the hostility?
> > > >
> > > > -Donna
> > > What hostility ? We love this guy !! We just need clarification.