American Children

Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:15 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about
Default American Children

By choice, I have no children.

One thing I have often wondered is what does it feel like to have American children? Children of a different nationality to your own?

If you emigrated with very small children, those children have probably morphed into Americans now. How does that feel?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Children

I don't have kids either, but I do have a friend in that situation. I think it does worry her, even though her little un has dual citizenship. I think it would be very odd to hear your child talk with a different accent to you though.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:20 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MadRad
I think it would be very odd to hear your child talk with a different accent to you though.
Exactly!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
By choice, I have no children.

One thing I have often wondered is what does it feel like to have American children? Children of a different nationality to your own?

If you emigrated with very small children, those children have probably morphed into Americans now. How does that feel?
I'm not in America, but we emigrated from Canada to Australia when my children were fairly young. It feels no different to having Australian children than it did having Canadian children. They're still my children and really we have no frame of reference to say whether it's the same or different.

And no, it's not odd to have them speak with a different accent to ours. It's simply how they talk. I have asked them if they find it odd or embassing to have their parents speak with an accent and they said they never thought about it - it's just how we talk.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

"You're in America now daddy, you need to say soccer" Ggrrrrr!!!!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have asked them if they find it odd or embassing to have their parents speak with an accent and they said they never thought about it - it's just how we talk.
That does happen in American though; I've heard many stories of people who were embarrassed by their parents' old country accent.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I actually do find it odd when my kids speak with an American accent (they switch depending on who they're with).

It's something I didn't consider before moving, but having them become part of another culture can be disconcerting.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My kids were all born here and only one has lived in the UK. They all got told while in Elementary school that they sounded British when they spoke, and when in the UK they obviously sound American. Too me they just sound like my kids, not weird or unusual. We are all dual.
I wonder how long it will take them all the lose the accent when we move. Ds #1 is already there and I have noticed a bit of a Brit accent on the phone. Ds#2 is next, then the rest of us. Dd is only 7 so I think she will have the most British of all three kids by the time she's grown.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
having them become part of another culture can be disconcerting.
Exactly.

To be really American, I do think one has to go through the American school system. If one's kids go through grade school and high school here, no way are they going to retain much Britishness.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MadRad
I think it would be very odd to hear your child talk with a different accent to you though.
My kids always were going to talk with a different accent to me. (I have a weird accent part English/part South African/some Scottish and now American vernacular thrown in). You speak to them every day so you don't notice the accent. I do try to eliminate the "twenny" and "priddy" and other Texan lazyspeak (or drawl as they call it here) though. As for the growing up "American" - they're a product of their upbringing. School and friends are an influence but I'm not too worried that they'll end up as gun toting, God bothering, homophobic creationists...(let's hope anyway)!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:19 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone who moves country with children must understand pretty quickly that they'll be affected enough by their surroundings to change their pronunciation, word choice, verbal emphases, etc. They're going to begin to sound different if they want to fit in. Some children are more chameleon-like than others, but they'll not speak like their parents, who were learning how & what to say in the home country.

My grown-up kids are very good (in fact brilliant!) at shifting their speech patterns to match the nationality of whomever they're talking to (English, Japanese, American). They grew up practising it & they're experts now . . . .
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was 11 when we moved to the US...she was 18 when she moved to Toronto for uni. When she speaks to us she has a British accent...but switches between US and Canadian...depending who she's speaking to.

Even in high school she never adopted any American phrases such as awesome, like, like, like.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When she speaks to us she has a British accent...but switches between US and Canadian...depending who she's speaking to.
Interesting. Quite a few of you are saying that your children switch accents at will. I would never have thought that they would do that.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:28 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

My twins were just 11 when we moved over here. They come over as full fledged Yorkshire Monkeys.... Everyone loved them, they were a real novelty.

Within 3 months it was gone, and they sounded American, with just the odd hint of Brit in there, normally when they got excited.

Fast forward to now, and they're 14 1/2, and about to embark on High School. You would think they had been born here. Half the time I have to ask them to repeat themselves, because the accent they now have is not only American, but Very Kentucky When they started Middle school, No-one believed that they were English. Even this year, at the start of 8th Grade, the social studies teacher was telling the class that in England, the SKEDule (Schedule) is pronounced like 'Skedulay' (wtf!).... One of the boys told him outright that he was wrong, and that he was English and corrected him on his pronunciation.... Said Teacher went on to tell my little angel () that it was wrong to lie....

I gave Little angel permission to take his nice sparkly English passport to school the next day and put it on the teachers desk and tell him with a smile that he didn't tell lies

Teacher has loved him ever since!!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:29 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
Interesting. Quite a few of you are saying that your children switch accents at will. I would never have thought that they would do that.
It's a good trick, so many kids who can do it enjoy it. And (maybe unfortunately) for some it helps in social survival . . . to blend in & not to stick out as "different" . . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.