america for a year ????

Old May 19th 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

yorkiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default america for a year ????

Hi, Im totally new to site and know nothing about immigration etc,after reading threads i realise how difficult it is , myself and family would have liked to go to the US just to experience a different culture for around a year , we would have liked to have rented a house and my son to have enrolled in college , and the children in schools, we would not have wanted to live pernamently as have all ties in Uk , we both work here but do not have degrees, both have worked since 16, now 45 and 49, children aged 11 ,15 and 18 we currently also run a house rental business where we rent out 6 properties and also do property renovations , but am now nervous to even apply in case we get turned down and then cant even visit the US, can anyone offer us any experiences and advise regards
Old May 19th 2012, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: america for a year ????

Apply for what?
Old May 19th 2012, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving aside all the other problems, what would be the point of an 18-year-old coming and doing one year in a US college?
Old May 19th 2012, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

we would have applied to get into US for a year, and would not be looking to do that for another year when son has finished his A levels in engineering and if he enjoyed the college he could have continue in US as I do have family living in Houston so he could have finished his studies,
But was really on this site looking for helpful advice,
Old May 19th 2012, 5:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Try this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

You will see that "one year in the US" is not feasible.
Old May 19th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkiegirl
we would have applied to get into US for a year
Under what visa? Have a look at the link Nutmegger gave you.
Old May 19th 2012, 5:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

we would have applied to get into US for a year, and would not be looking to do that for another year when son has finished his A levels in engineering and if he enjoyed the college he could have continue in US as I do have family living in Houston so he could have finished his studies,
It was clear that you "would have applied to get into US for a year", the question was asking on what basis, for which visa, it is not clear on what grounds you would be entitled to apply for any visa, but it also seems clear that you already know that.

It is also unclear what your motivation is, you say "US just to experience a different culture" so America is not primary. There are lots of places where you can experience a different culture, other than America, where visa and entry is not a problem, places where education and health costs will be less of a challenge, though maybe in your financial position this is of little importance (In my personal opinion I am not sure what you would get out of America as a cultural experience, compared to other cultures; it seems a poor choice - but you know what you want out of the experience, I am only guessing your motivation)
Old May 19th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

thank you for advice, America was the country of choice as i have family there ,I was not looking to permamently live anywhere except the UK but would have liked to have the different experience , not really interested in Europe, although I suppose i could buy a business but dont want to be there long term, anyway thanks.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If there immediate family they could sponsor you, but a long wait.
Old May 19th 2012, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... am now nervous to even apply in case we get turned down and then cant even visit the US...
With regret, there is no visa for what you want to do.

Ian
Old May 19th 2012, 8:59 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you had a work visa yourself, you'd have to pay for all three kids to attend school and hanging out over there with them for the full year would be problematic at best.
Old May 20th 2012, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

This will give you all the information you need regarding the type of visa I think you want to do

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html

(it is an official US government website and is not affiliated in anyway with BritishExpats)
Old May 21st 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

What you want to do doesn't sound feasible, but I want to give some advice from a different perspective if you do manage to find a way.

Please DON'T move you 11 year old and 15 year old kids here for a year! I moved to the US at age 15, and my school status was a mess for the next two years. I couldn't imagine moving here, and then moving back, and being able to keep sane at that age.

School here is so different. In some classes your kids will be one or two years ahead. In other classes they will be a year or two behind. It's very stressful. Even if they do understand the school work, they may have a hard time understanding the different school system, dealing with the increased amount of homework, and adjusting to different accents and a different version of the English language (I had a French teacher with a southern drawl. I couldn't understand her - in French OR English.)

Experiencing other cultures is great - but not when it can disrupt the education of your children.