Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Almost time to file N-400 but confused about dates

Almost time to file N-400 but confused about dates

Old Jul 12th 2020, 6:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost time to file N-400 but confused about dates

Originally Posted by cepe86
That makes sense and I’m sure the information I’m giving is not entirely enough for anyone to really know exactly what’s going on. I appreciate your thoughts and input though.

It was a welcome letter but unfortunately they never sent it to me. I know from the filling of the I-90 the lawyers attached all info including photocopy’s of my spouse green card and approval letter was included with his October approval date.

The response from USCIS after a year waiting was:

"...USCIS records show that your date of entry is June X 2015, The date of notice November X is not considered an approval date..." and thus im not eligible for a replacement card.

A very odd reply considering I was already in the US and didn’t enter but was in L2 status since January 2015 and now adjusting status.

It’s not that I need to apply for citizenship but I would like to stay with my spouse and keep living in the US like I have for the last + 4 years :-(.
From your description, there seem to be mixed inconsistent messages. Crank in the concept that “equitable estoppel” does not apply against the government and the current official attitudes against “Obama” actions, paranoia might be in order.

Old Jul 12th 2020, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

cepe86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Agree with Rete.
You have the green card and the letter from USCIS saying that the date on your card is the correct one.
Use that date and apply for the citizenship at the same time as your wife is eligible.
Thanks for the input seems like the reasonable thing to do and see what happens.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

cepe86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
From your description, there seem to be mixed inconsistent messages. Crank in the concept that “equitable estoppel” does not apply against the government and the current official attitudes against “Obama” actions, paranoia might be in order.
A bit frightening that the possibilities range from me not being a PR at all for the last couple of years to just an “innocent glitch”. I might as well face this issue now (in a month or two initiating the application) than in 5 years when my green card is up for renewal.

Another clue looking at the actual card is that the expiration date is November 2025 rather than June 2025 as would have been the case if June was indeed my residence date. Had it not been for the odd I-90 denial it seemed pretty obvious that it was a printing error on the card but who knows other than USCIS.

Last edited by cepe86; Jul 12th 2020 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 9:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cepe86
A bit frightening that the possibilities range from me not being a PR at all for the last couple of years to just an “innocent glitch”. I might as well face this issue now (in a month or two initiating the application) than in 5 years when my green card is up for renewal.

Another clue looking at the actual card is that the expiration date is November 2025 rather than June 2025 as would have been the case if June was indeed my residence date. Had it not been for the odd I-90 denial it seemed pretty obvious that it was a printing error on the card but who knows other than USCIS.
On the physical I-551 card, the 10 years applies to the card itself. And you are a permanent resident. It just may not be “lawful” for purposes of naturalization. (A lot of this law was developed in the context of Nazi war criminals).

Your posts are exacerbating my sense of professional paranoia. You may want to have experienced immigration counsel examine your case with a fine tooth comb including obtaining a copy of your DHS file.

Odds are you are fine. But there appear to be questions.