Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

All good all bad Florida or California?

All good all bad Florida or California?

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All good all bad Florida or California?

hello everybody as you know I am a recent newbie to the forum. I suppose I am writing this new thread for all advise/views/aspects good or bad! bad and good about California v's Florida?
We are definately sure that we want to move permanantely to either state but not sure which one??
We love both but from what we can gather it seems as though california homes are much more $$ than Florida, but California seems to offer more opportunity??
Could anybody living in either state care to share their views it would i suppose spur us on little bit! to decide
thanks again goldenstate31
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:29 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: All good all bad Florida or California?

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
hello everybody as you know I am a recent newbie to the forum. I suppose I am writing this new thread for all advise/views/aspects good or bad! bad and good about California v's Florida?
We are definately sure that we want to move permanantely to either state but not sure which one??
We love both but from what we can gather it seems as though california homes are much more $$ than Florida, but California seems to offer more opportunity??
Could anybody living in either state care to share their views it would i suppose spur us on little bit! to decide
Hi,
Can I just ask are you moving with what type of Visa, I only say this as you may wish to move but will be unable to, thats all, I have a chance with the DV lottery win, so when I move over I will post up
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

In California at least, you pay for the quality of life (although I'm sure alot here don't feel like CA has a higher quality of life than other states!). State tax (keep in mind FL has no state tax at all), higher vehicle, property taxes. Taxes on taxes. I think it comes down to whether you feel paying more for things is worth it. Conversley, CA is broke - so all of the extra taxes and fees haven't necessarily translated to better services etc. However personally I feel its still worth it. Each to their own though.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I've read your past posts, but it might be helpful for you to also mention what visa you have in mind, as I predict that will be everyone's first question to you.

Also, if it's work-related, you might be bound by the location of the employer.

Personally, if I had a choice, I'd choose California because it's less humid....I just can't stand humidity.

Rene
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I just scanned your past posts too and I'm not sure if you want the answers from the Lifestyle aspect of the USA forum, or the business/visa aspect of this forum.
If you are thinking of opening a business in the US, taxation, licensing and other biz considerations will be an important part of your decision. They should be primary vs 'which place is neater to hang out in' IMO.

One thing to keep in mind about the US is that each state has its own laws and regulations (even their own minimum wage). It's sometimes easier to grok if you think of it like the EU; several independant units that unite on the bigger picture items.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by radion
Hi,
Can I just ask are you moving with what type of Visa, I only say this as you may wish to move but will be unable to, thats all, I have a chance with the DV lottery win, so when I move over I will post up
hi there we have a Uk business, so probably its looking like the L1, although an immigration attorney on here said E2 holders can get green cards also so thats just thrown some other option in the mix for us! we will keep the Uk businesses running whilst in california or florida?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=meauxna;7809548]I just scanned your past posts too and I'm not sure if you want the answers from the Lifestyle aspect of the USA forum, or the business/visa aspect of this forum.
If you are thinking of opening a business in the US, taxation, licensing and other biz considerations will be an important part of your decision. They should be primary vs 'which place is neater to hang out in' IMO.

thank you im just getting the knack of this copying quotes so forgive if ive copied the wrong one!
i suppose from all aspects really, but i consider as you mentioned above that best value for money is the most important factor! or should i say more for your $$$ lol.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

hi there we have a Uk business, so probably its looking like the L1, although an immigration attorney on here said E2 holders can get green cards also so thats just thrown some other option in the mix for us! we will keep the Uk businesses running whilst in california or florida?
They should have added "in some very rare circumstances"
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I just scanned your past posts too and I'm not sure if you want the answers from the Lifestyle aspect of the USA forum, or the business/visa aspect of this forum.
thank you im just getting the knack of this copying quotes so forgive if ive copied the wrong one!
i suppose from all aspects really, but i consider as you mentioned above that best value for money is the most important factor! or should i say more for your $$$ lol.
You can use the 'quote' button on the post you want to reply to and it will magically appear.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

California is a huge state and it varies from place to place. San Diego County and Modoc County are quite different. I have some clients who live in Kings County and I had to "zillow" their house -- property in Kings County is not all that expensive.

Also, in Monterey County, there is a difference between Carmel and Salinas.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

California beats Florida on every count.

I can go into details about how brilliant living in California is, but I think it's easier to leave it at that for now.

Rather than worrying about where to live, I suggest you figure out a bulletproof plan for the visa first. I think you are seriously underestimating how difficult that is going to be.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

California is a huge state and it varies from place to place. San Diego County and Modoc County are quite different.
As are Key West, Miami, West Palm Beach and Orlando ...
(although they are pretty much all unbearably hot and humid ...)
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Hello
I am not so sure what you want to achieve. Your focus should be to make your business sucessful here in the USA. This means you should be as close as possible to your customers. Otherwise you maybe will find out that
your stay is fairly limited.

The USCIS will extend your L1 only if your new business in the states takes off.

Unfortunately California and Florida are nice states to live in but also both of them are badly hit by the recession.

I live in Colorado and in particular Denver seems to do reasonably well in
this "difficult times".

In comparison Arizona is suffering badly also some other area's along the east coast.

I would do a "google search" for some economy indicators like unemployment rate; real estate market ; poverty etc.

This should help you to setup your business .

This is only my opinion as a " employed manager.

Kind regards
CCR
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually quite surprised that you say that you love both California and Florida. Although both states are sufficiently diverse that most people will find something to love and hate in each of them they really are quite different in many ways. It might help if you told us *what* it is that you loved about both of them and what you are looking for.

As a very general rule of thumb if you are a conservative you will likely feel more at home in Florida and if you are a liberal you will be more at home in California but that is a broad generalization - a lot depends on exactly where you end up and the extent to which you even fit the US definitions of "liberal" or "conservative".

California has earthquakes (although ones big enough to do significant damage are infrequent). Florida has hurricanes (with some regularity).

Both states are in a financial mess - just try googling "<name of state> budget crisis" for pretty much any state in the union and see how many hits you get ...

Not sure about Florida, but if you are thinking about starting a business in California you should be aware of the fact that California is extremely over regulated about pretty much everything at every level.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
(although they are pretty much all unbearably hot and humid ...)
Pussy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.