Alistair Bell, Who an sponsor me?

Old Jan 29th 2001, 6:15 am
asifrm

I intend marrying an american citizen i know since 1 year.I want to know if he doesnot
meet the criteria for sponsoring me, can i self sponsor by saying I have 15,000US$ in my
savings account?

Please help!!!!

Venessa

Old Jan 29th 2001, 8:04 am
Alistair Bell

I intend marrying an american citizen i know since 1 year.I want to
> know if he doesnot meet the criteria for sponsoring me, can i self sponsor by saying I
> have 15,000US$ in my savings account?

Personally, I don't know (although I suspect the answer is no). But people at the
marriage-based newsgroup probably do know, so I've crossposted there.

--
Alistair

*IMPORTANT NOTE* I am not a lawyer and do not dispense legal advice. For accurate
information, always consult a good immigration attorney.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 8:25 am
Rita

I intend marrying an american citizen i know since 1 year.I want to
> know if he doesnot meet the criteria for sponsoring me, can i self sponsor by saying I
> have 15,000US$ in my savings account?
>
> Please help!!!!
>
> Venessa
>

The poverty guidelines for a single person for 2000 (2001 not yet published) is $8350. In
order to qualify you need to show INS assets 5 times that amount. Afraid your $15,000 is
not enough.

Rita

>

--
The K1 FAQ is now at http://www.k1faq.com www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Jan 29th 2001, 8:39 am
Andy Platt

An immigrant can use their own assets so long as they are suitably liquid but at the rate
of $5 assets to $1 income it might not be enough. (Note that even if the US citizen was
just $3000 short of the income requirement, the INS / DOS could decide that the $15000
savings weren't enough and suspect the immigrant may become a public charge). Best to get
a co-sponsor I would say.

I haven't seen the original question so I can't say if this applies but if the immigrant
has lived in the same household as the spouse for more than six months and their income
will continue in the US (for fiance(e)s this would imply that the alien is already living
in the US perhaps on a work visa), their income can count.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> > I intend marrying an american citizen i know since 1 year.I want to know if he doesnot
> > meet the criteria for sponsoring me, can i self sponsor by saying I have 15,000US$ in
> > my savings account?
>
> Personally, I don't know (although I suspect the answer is no). But people at the
> marriage-based newsgroup probably do know, so I've crossposted there.
>
> --
> Alistair
>
> *IMPORTANT NOTE* I am not a lawyer and do not dispense legal advice. For accurate
> information, always consult a good immigration attorney.