After the oath, what comes next?

Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

ELAINECHRISTMAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: After the oath, what comes next?

:Aaaaahhh. Got it. Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:54 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

I went to the SSN office today and the lady said I'd probably not show up in their system because my certificate was only 2 days old.
I insisted, I was already there, with all my paperwork.

A few keystrokes later, my file went fine through the system. But the lady said it usually takes your file 10 days from the date of your Naturalization Oath Ceremony to show up at their end, so, just try not to go immediately.

Then I went to the Post Office to request my passport. It was 3:40 pm. I checked in at their clipboard thing. They asked to see all my paperwork, I showed them I had everything. They told me to sit down and not move.

They made me wait 40 minutes.

They ushered the ladies before me and then they stopped me. They told me they were closing for the day and the last people they'd process were the ladies right in front of me, even though we signed on the clipboard within a minute of each other.

There was no reasoning there.

*sigh*
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I was curious about the strong suggestion to update the records at SSA. When I was in practice, we never recommended that this be done. So I have now researched it.

It seems that many government [both state and federal] access the social security database for confirmation of citizenship. Otherwise, there is no particular reason to update the records at SSA.

Do note that a new number will not be issued nor is a replacement card necessary. [BTW, the only time that I, a native born AmCit, was required to show my actual SS card was to post a cash immigration bond with the former INS -- my US passport was not sufficient. Go figure].
Old Jan 28th 2012, 6:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It seems that many government [both state and federal] access the social security database for confirmation of citizenship. Otherwise, there is no particular reason to update the records at SSA.
Otherwise than HR fires you as an illegal or MVD wants to stamp johnny foreigner across you license or take it off you.

Plenty of reasons to update your records
Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I was curious about the strong suggestion to update the records at SSA. When I was in practice, we never recommended that this be done. So I have now researched it.

Do note that a new number will not be issued nor is a replacement card necessary. [BTW, the only time that I, a native born AmCit, was required to show my actual SS card was to post a cash immigration bond with the former INS -- my US passport was not sufficient. Go figure].
Yep - I know that the US Dept of Education uses the SSA to confirm citizenship status for college financial aid applications (FAFSA). We didn't know about the need to update our SSA records when we naturalized 6 years ago. It came back to bite us when our daughter's financial aid application was delayed last year because the SSA could not confirm that she was a US citizen. I went into the local SSA office with our passports to get our records updated.

You keep the same SSN but I was told that the system automatically sends you a new card (which we received about 10 days later). The date the SSA record was updated is typed on the front of the new card.

The fix must have worked because our 2nd daughter's FAFSA has been processed this year without any issues.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 28th 2012 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Just to add my own tale- NJ DMV checked my social security number and denied me a license because I had never reported my new citizenship status to SSA. I had to go to SSA, fill out a form and then wait 2 weeks for a new card to be mailed (yes, even though the card is identical to the old one...they took away my old card at the SSA office, very idiotic).

Was particularly stressful because I had gone well past the grace period to transfer my license from my former state of residence and said former state DMV had caught on and were screaming for their license back.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep - I know that the US Dept of Education uses the SSA to confirm citizenship status for college financial aid applications (FAFSA). We didn't know about the need to update our SSA records when we naturalized 6 years ago. It came back to bite us when our daughter's financial aid application was delayed last year because the SSA could not confirm that she was a US citizen. I went into the local SSA office with our passports to get our records updated.

You keep the same SSN but I was told that the system automatically sends you a new card (which we received about 10 days later). The date the SSA record was updated is typed on the front of the new card.

The fix must have worked because our 2nd daughter's FAFSA has been processed this year without any issues.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deng890
NJ DMV checked my social security number and denied me a license because I had never reported my new citizenship status to SSA.
That's simply idiotic, considering there is no law that requires you to ever inform SSA that you're a USC.

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's simply idiotic, considering there is no law that requires you to ever inform SSA that you're a USC.

Ian
Not everything needs to be covered by a law. Government agencies often put policies in place that have nothing to do with any particular legislation. As I said earlier, the US Dept of Education uses SSA records to confirm US citizenship. They wouldn't accept any other proof of my daughter's US citizenship apart from an updated SSA record because that's how their computer system works.

It's not just government agencies. There's no law that says you must have a SSN - but try operating without one. You can legally refuse to provide a SSN to your employer - but then the employer can decide not to hire you. You can legally refuse to provide a SSN to a lender - but then the lender can decide not to lend you any money.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 2nd 2012 at 2:43 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to add my own tale- NJ DMV checked my social security number and denied me a license because I had never reported my new citizenship status to SSA. I had to go to SSA, fill out a form and then wait 2 weeks for a new card to be mailed (yes, even though the card is identical to the old one...they took away my old card at the SSA office, very idiotic).
The SSA didn't take away our old SSN cards so at least we have some spares now. Our new cards are slightly different in that they have the date the SSA record was updated printed on the front.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Yes, I only realized after that my mistake was to physically produce my old card to them, had I just kept it in my wallet they would have never taken it.

The SSA didn't take away our old SSN cards so at least we have some spares now. Our new cards are slightly different in that they have the date the SSA record was updated printed on the front.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

idiotic doesn't even begin to describe it. After the SSA lady took my cards I protested, telling her that I needed the card to get a a NJ DL and I had to get the license ASAP. The SSA, to their credit, helpfully gave me a signed and notarized letter stating that SS # XXX-XX-XXXX belonged to me, and told me that such a letter is commonly accepted at the DMV.

So I made my way back to the DMV with the SSA letter in hand, and handed it to the DMV official. He initially accepted it, but then looked at my US Passport and said "Oh hang on, we can't accept this letter. NJ DMV regulations states that only persons born in the US can use this letter. You have to wait and come back with your actual SS card." I was furious, and demanded to see the supervisor who stated the same thing, pointing out the NJ reg that says this.

I don't know what was worse....the fact that NJ had such a pointlessly discriminatory regulation or the fact that someone out there in the NJ government is paid to come up with this shite.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

As I said earlier, the US Dept of Education uses SSA records to confirm US citizenship. They wouldn't accept any other proof of my daughter's US citizenship apart from an updated SSA record because that's how their computer system works.
Yup... found that out for myself almost 2 years ago.

You can legally refuse to provide a SSN to your employer - but then the employer can decide not to hire you.
Since you aren't required to produce a SSN until after you're hired, I'm sure there's a non sequitur in there someplace!

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

idiotic doesn't even begin to describe it. After the SSA lady took my cards I protested, telling her that I needed the card to get a a NJ DL and I had to get the license ASAP. The SSA, to their credit, helpfully gave me a signed and notarized letter stating that SS # XXX-XX-XXXX belonged to me, and told me that such a letter is commonly accepted at the DMV.

So I made my way back to the DMV with the SSA letter in hand, and handed it to the DMV official. He initially accepted it, but then looked at my US Passport and said "Oh hang on, we can't accept this letter. NJ DMV regulations states that only persons born in the US can use this letter. You have to wait and come back with your actual SS card." I was furious, and demanded to see the supervisor who stated the same thing, pointing out the NJ reg that says this.

I don't know what was worse....the fact that NJ had such a pointlessly discriminatory regulation or the fact that someone out there in the NJ government is paid to come up with this shite.
Don't get me started on the DMV because I'll have to start using bad words. What a useless bunch of tossers. I have hated every single instance I have had to deal with them. I swear your life expectancy is somehow related to the number of times you have to deal with the DMV - inversely proportional.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Regarding a), in theory.

While it is a government issued ID and should be ok for domestic air travel, I can see some minimum wage TSA burger flipper not accepting it saying it is valid only for land and sea travel (which is strictly true, you can't fly to Mexico with it).
I use it all the time as it does not have my address on (one less thing for a rogue TSA screener to potentially use). I had one clerk who asked for another form of ID, saying the PP card was not acceptable; in return I asked for his supervisor and when that sup came the supe balled him out for not knowing his job....
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Paulster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There - how long did the application process take? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.